Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-20-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
External microSD card format

Does anyone know if it is possible to use an external microSD card formatted to ext4 or ext3, or for that matter, any format other than FAT?
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
jlynton
Evangelist
jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jlynton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Moaan Inkpalm 5.
Well, I think that I have answered my own question, I formatted a card to ext3, and inserted it to the glo, which promptly told me that it could not recognise the card, and that I should format it to FAT32 :-(
jlynton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #3
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlynton View Post
Well, I think that I have answered my own question, I formatted a card to ext3, and inserted it to the glo, which promptly told me that it could not recognise the card, and that I should format it to FAT32 :-(
I think it worked with an older model Kobo or maybe an earlier firmware version. It is a pity it doesn't work with the current ones as it would be an easy way to get around the files-per-directory and filename-length restrictions of FAT formats. I think it would be a simple thing to implement too, since the hidden partitions use ext format, and so the drivers and filesystem tools must already be present in the firmware.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
The only time I used anything other than FAT 32 on Kobo was waaaay back when folks in the beta had to use Linux to get new builds onto the devices prior to release. This was in Kobo-o and a bit into Kobo-WiFi days. Some kind souls and to walk me through that, because I am pretty helpless with that sort of thing.

If I remember correctly, the SD card for storage on the devices were always FAT 32. I'm old and my brain is full of noodles, so I may not be remembering it accurately.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote