Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-05-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
innocent-sheep
innocent-sheep began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kobo Touch + pdfs.

Hello MobileRead community. To make a long story short, I have about 3 pdf textbooks I want to read, but since it costs about $80 each to print, I'm considering an eReader because it would be cheaper. So what are your thoughts on viewing pdfs on the Kobo Touch?

Keep in mind, even though I am a student, the pdfs I'm reading aren't for class (just for my enjoyment), so it doesn't need to be completely "efficient" (for lack of a better word). I also like that I can read other eBooks on it and that it's eInk.

I've played around with a Kobo Touch before looking at one of the pdfs, and it looked fine to read (even without zooming in), but I'm not sure how it would be after a while of use.
innocent-sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 02:31 AM   #2
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
Reading an A4/Letter formatted document on a 6 inch screen is not very ideal, unless the text is large enough to read when scaled down. So it depends how the PDFs are formatted. PDFs make much more sense of the larger screens of tablets.
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-06-2011, 07:35 AM   #3
masona8
Enthusiast
masona8 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo, Kindle DX graphite, Kindle 3
Convert it in Calibre and read it as a epub. Unless it has got lots of pics. A Kindle DX maybe!!
masona8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:50 AM   #4
Yeroc
Yeroc began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Another alternative if Calibre doesn't work due to the PDFs in question having a lot of formatting or something is to use something like BRISS (http://briss.sourceforge.net/) to trim the margins off...
Yeroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 01:39 AM   #5
artouiros
artouiros began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
I tried reading some pdf on the kobo touch, don't do this. It's so so inconvenient. Even if you zoom it, you'll need to drag the page up to 6 directions to read in with a normal font size. I think a 9 inch reader would do the job, ofcourse it $300+, but you can later read otehr pdfs on it. About converting to epub: if it is a programming book, don't bother. The code style messups with other text, and you cna't even understand it.
artouiros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert