Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-21-2009, 08:08 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Mistakes in The Hobbit

In an earlier post I wrote that HarperCollins had done an excellent job of turning the Hobbit into an ebook.

Now that I am about 2/3 of the way through the book I have changed my mind; it's just a very good job. I have found three occasions in which a sentence has been broken and restarted - for example, early in chapter 11 the text 'where the Front Gate stood...' appears as
'where the Front
Gate stood...'

This may seem a minor quibble, but HarperCollins is a big publisher with high standards. They certainly would not have permitted that to occur in a print book; why should we accept it in an ebook?

When I have finished the book I am going to send them an email complimenting them on their general standards, but pointing out the mistakes and asking them to correct them in future versions and to have the same quality standards in ebooks as they do in print books.

I encourage everyone who finds similar mistakes to email them in a similar way.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:13 AM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Actually, I remember seeing several mistakes in a few of the print versions I have.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
Now that I am about 2/3 of the way through the book I have changed my mind; it's just a very good job. I have found three occasions in which a sentence has been broken and restarted - for example, early in chapter 11 the text 'where the Front Gate stood...' appears as
'where the Front
Gate stood...'

This may seem a minor quibble, but HarperCollins is a big publisher with high standards. They certainly would not have permitted that to occur in a print book; why should we accept it in an ebook?

I wonder if this is a device specific problem or if it has a problem no matter what device is displaying it. Is it screwed up in the Mobi desktop software or just on the Cybook?
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
In the "Workshop" forum there's a person who's bought it in six different formats. They'll be able to tell you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:43 PM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Looking at the HTML from the Mobipocket version, it actually starts a new paragraph at "Gate". Checking my paper copy, there should not be a new paragraph there.

This is a definite mistake in the ebook code, and should have been caught in proof reading. I suspect the same fault in also in the other ebook formats.

I have already sent them a note about the missing illustrations and the uneven indents.

It is disappointing that a major release should have such errors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
In an earlier post I wrote that HarperCollins had done an excellent job of turning the Hobbit into an ebook.

'where the Front
Gate stood...'

When I have finished the book I am going to send them an email complimenting them on their general standards, but pointing out the mistakes and asking them to correct them in future versions and to have the same quality standards in ebooks as they do in print books.

I encourage everyone who finds similar mistakes to email them in a similar way.

Regards, Alex
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:37 PM   #6
vsalvaggio
Zealot
vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
Tom Clancy's "Patriot Games" was even worse. Every instance of the word "corner" was spelled "comer" among other mistakes, line breaks etc.
vsalvaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:54 PM   #7
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsalvaggio View Post
Tom Clancy's "Patriot Games" was even worse. Every instance of the word "corner" was spelled "comer" among other mistakes, line breaks etc.
I guess those are OCR errors.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 03:10 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
This is a definite mistake in the ebook code, and should have been caught in proof reading. I suspect the same fault in also in the other ebook formats.
I just bought the LIT version from FW and it's got the same problem for sure. The "Gate stood." part shows up as the start of a new, indented, paragraph.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hobbit.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	242.1 KB
ID:	27918  

Last edited by AnemicOak; 04-21-2009 at 03:14 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:33 PM   #9
Nate0072
Enthusiast
Nate0072 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Nate0072 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Nate0072 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader 505 (Silver)
That annoys me so much when you pay good money for a poor product. The thing is, that after a while you get used to the errors and rarely spoils the enjoyment of the book.
Nate0072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 04:43 PM   #10
All4Fun
Zealot
All4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-booksAll4Fun has learned how to read e-books

Device: iPad, Blackberry Bold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate0072 View Post
That annoys me so much when you pay good money for a poor product. The thing is, that after a while you get used to the errors and rarely spoils the enjoyment of the book.
With the digital nature of ebooks, it would be good if the publishers/stores release revised or updated versions of the ebooks when errors get fixed, etc. Sort of like when software is updated because of bug fixes, etc.

If this exists (and perhaps it already does when you re-download an ebook), I don't have a real problem with that. Of course, errors shouldn't occur in the first place if proper proof-reading and editing is in place as part of their workflow.
All4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 05:57 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What I do when I find errors is bookmark the page and then I can go back later and fix the errors. The easiest to fix is ePub unless I have the source in Book Designer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 06:16 PM   #12
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Years ago I bought a really nice leatherbound omnibus of The Lord of the Rings from Houghton Mifflin. You'd think that would be carefully proofread. Not so. The thing is riddled with punctuation errors and broken type. So it's not just ebooks. Every time I reread it (which I do from time to time), I get annoyed all over again. And then I get into the story and stop paying attention to the mistakes.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:55 PM   #13
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I guess those are OCR errors.
It could be a ligature issue in that case.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:05 PM   #14
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
They really should address submitted errors immediately and release 'revisions' which update the ebook on your device, like companies release software revisions. There is no reason these mistakes should stand other than laziness by the publisher.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:40 AM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
It could be a ligature issue in that case.

BOb
corner becoming comer is a typical OCR error. There are lots of these kinds of combinations that give OCR fits where two characters get run together and result in a new character.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote