Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-24-2013, 01:01 AM   #61
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herman2604 View Post
Although i acknowledge that its cool to do , and i prob will after my warrenty has expired i still would like to ask if this memory is faster then inserting a external Sdcard?
So besides getting more total memory are there other benefits then just because it can be done (although thats not a bad reason )
The Mini doesn't have an external card slot, so this is the only way to expand its memory.

For those devices that do have an external slot, with the current 2.5.x firmware there is no longer any real advantage in replacing the internal card vs using an external card. (With earlier firmware versions the cover images were not saved and had to be generated each time they were needed if the book was on an external card, so there was a reason to prefer to keep all books on the internal card.)
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #62
Gergith
Enthusiast
Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gergith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
The Mini doesn't have an external card slot, so this is the only way to expand its memory.

For those devices that do have an external slot, with the current 2.5.x firmware there is no longer any real advantage in replacing the internal card vs using an external card. (With earlier firmware versions the cover images were not saved and had to be generated each time they were needed if the book was on an external card, so there was a reason to prefer to keep all books on the internal card.)
Good point!

I did it for 3 reasons personally.

1. I like to void warranties and tinker and hack and mod. It's FUN! (Which is why I tell everyone NOT to do this, if they read past they probably fit into this category).
2. Because I liked the idea of not being able to lose the MicroSD card with all my books. So this is permanently in their, instead instead of a card that could eject one day.
3. So I would have a full perfect backup of a stock SD memory of my Kobo

Speed didn't bother me really, it was a happy perk I accept Kobo's being slower than a book anyways.

But yeah, given the increase in speed with the pictures being loaded, it makes it much less functional and much more just for fun/warranty voiding
Gergith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 09:36 PM   #63
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
with the aura hd, what's the advantage of swapping out the internal memory card when you can just insert another card into the external slot made just for it? does it access the books faster, or use less power accessing the internal card than the external?
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #64
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
The exact same reason as upgrading a Touch or Glo; convenience....
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:38 PM   #65
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
with the aura hd, what's the advantage of swapping out the internal memory card when you can just insert another card into the external slot made just for it? does it access the books faster, or use less power accessing the internal card than the external?
It also is a way to have an image of the entire firmware and data needed to run the device. With that you can always recover, even if the device's operating firmware becomes totally corrupted.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:57 AM   #66
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Device: Cracked HiSenseA5ProCC, Cracked OnyxNotePro, Note5, Kobo Glo, Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I got my Aura HD working again and it is using an 8GB class 10 card that I cloned
from the factory 4GB card.
What did you do to re-enable touch? I've just did a factory reset after upgrading to a 32GB internal, but no touch...I've sideloaded the v2.61 firmware and are at home screen, but still no respons to tapping.

Last edited by Markismus; 07-18-2013 at 03:43 PM.
Markismus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #67
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The cause of my loss of the touchscreen function was a coating that I had applied to the case. I wasn't aware of the Bezel being made of two pieces of different plastic. The inside piece of plastic being an IR guide for the touchscreen. Once I removed the coating that I had gotten on the IR plastic, I had the touch back. The touchscreen doesn't work without the Bezel in place.

Luck;
Ken
Old 07-18-2013, 04:00 PM   #68
Markismus
Guru
Markismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicingMarkismus causes much rejoicing

Basically, you're telling me I should put it back together before freaking out?
Old 07-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #69
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
Basically, you're telling me I should put it back together before freaking out?
The voice of experience talking, I freaked for several days before posts here put me on the right path.

Luck;
Ken
Old 07-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #70
Markismus
Guru

I've put i back together: no joy.

Could the black tape to the side of the screen be ir-conductive too? I damaged some in the lower right while opening the case.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #71
Ken Maltby
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markismus View Post
I've put i back together: no joy.

Could the black tape to the side of the screen be ir-conductive too? I damaged some in the lower right while opening the case.
The only black tape on mine is across the bottom below the screen. It is not part of the IR guide, I think it's there to prevent led bright spots showing up.

You could try cleaning the black edge of the inside IR plastic, the "gap" some talk about, it doesn't take much to mess things up. The other critical part of the IR plastic are the scalloped edges on the inside that the IR Emitters shine into.

Luck;
Ken
Old 07-18-2013, 04:38 PM   #72
Markismus
Guru

Ken, You are a King! I thank You.

I removed the black tape and now everything works with the screen inside the bezel. I still have to move everything into the case. But I got proof of live.

Got 30261 MB free space, too.

Last edited by Markismus; 07-18-2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:20 AM   #73
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal
Anghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Hi I've just opened it and "poped up" by mistake the tiny parts that link the power off/on button to the real switch onto the motherboard.

Nothing is broken, just three small pieces not in place anymore. And if I plug-in the glo into my computer, it turns on and works like a charm.

Did this happen to one of you already? Do you have picture of pieces in place (or a tech view)?
Anghirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:10 AM   #74
Markismus
Guru

Is it 1) a red plastic switch, held in place by 2) a black rectangular (about 5mmx14mm) piece of plastic with two small holes in each end, through which 3) two white pins should have gone (one end attached to the back board, one end melted to secure the black plastic in place)?

No drawing nor picture just words I am afraid. I am not opening it up again if I don't have to: Every time some piece of plastic gets broken off.

Didn't happen to me. But I think you can fasten the black plastic any which way you like as long as it keeps the red switch in place.

While you're at it, why don't you give the loose red switch a paint job and make it better looking?
Old 07-19-2013, 04:44 AM   #75
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal
Anghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Hi, I have unfortunately no "red switch", only black pieces, a small piece of metal.

But I managed to put pieces in place, where it seems to fit well and for now it's working. Let's cross fingers, I won't open it again .
Anghirrim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glo, glo memory upgrade mod, hack, increase, kobo, sdcard