Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 10-07-2011, 08:40 AM   #1
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Can we have an obituary section?

While these things usually go in the news section, maybe we could have a dedicated part for them, so we can avoid what is going on with the Steve Jobs thread.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There is a thread in the News section about his death and while most were paying their respects, some decided to criticize his work, business methods, character in general. Since we shouldn't have special rules for just one thread, I think that it would be good if we would have an obituary section where people can't insult the deceased.
Old 10-07-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
We already have such a thread in the lounge:

Light a Virtual Candle - https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52330

And Steve Jobs is honoured there, too.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:14 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Although I think personally that some of the comments in the "Steve Jobs is dead" thread have been in extremely poor taste, I don't think I'd personally want to see a section in which "de mortuis nil nisi bonum" was a rule. People do have the right to express their opinions.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
Sil_liS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
People do have the right to express their opinions.
Were any of the posts expressing their opinions reported?
Old 10-07-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
I feel this is the best place for me to comment about my comments on the Steve Jobs is Dead thread. Try to read exactly what I am saying, these words are not chosen without careful thought.

First, the thread was a News thread, not a memorial thread. There is a memorial thread, I have not commented on it at all. No comment was made in the Heading about it being a memorial thread.

Second, this is an e-reading site. I would expect that history relevant to e-readers and their machines, would be permissible. it is a public fact, noted and shown on public media sources at the time, and discussed here at MR, the Steve Jobs comment I initially mentioned. I find it appalling the vitriol I have received for reminding people of that fact.

As I stated in my second comment, I measure a "life in full", the good and the bad. No more and no less. I stated that I was less impressed than a complaining poster. Given the laudatory posts about Steve Jobs by the complainer, I could have a very positive impression of Steve Jobs and still be less impressed than he was.

I put in several self referential quotes by Isaac Newton to remind all that even such a great mind as Newton didn't consider himself to be the greatest thing in the world, nor did he expect other people to think that of him either.

Steve Jobs was the greatest marketer in the history of modern technology. He is the David Ogilivy of technology. What he was not was a great creator.

He and his companies -

did NOT create - the GUI/Mouse interface (Palo Alto Research Center did that (run by Xerox)).

did NOT create - the portable music player (Macromedia's Diamond Rio was sued all the way to the US Supreme Court (and won) before the iPod ever came out).

did NOT create - the first tablet (the first rudimentary tablet was created in the mid 1980's by (shocker) Radio Shack!)

did NOT create - the first smart phone.

He and his companies -

DID strive always for an easy human interface.

DID search for and find existing technologies to use that interface to apply them to.

DID act as a bridge between media content world and the tech (gadget) world (iTunes)

DID try to control all aspects of every product the came out with, even when that was a sub-optimal strategy.
(To look at PIXAR, I recommend close reading of the PIXAR Wikipedia page).

He was a man how made major contributions to the technological world. But they could have been much more. Sadly, they were limited by his own flaws.

I don't see that I have made any derogatory, vicious, or hate-filled comments I am accused of.

But to quote Lily Tomlin's Edith Ann character..."I only told the truth."

Last edited by Greg Anos; 10-07-2011 at 07:44 PM.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 11:48 PM   #7
Sil_liS
Wizard

And if we would have an obituary section, the thread could have been moved there.
Sir Edward, I don't think that your opinion is wrong, but it was the wrong place for it since people were treating the thread as an obituary.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #8
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sil_liS View Post
There is a thread in the News section about his death and while most were paying their respects, some decided to criticize his work, business methods, character in general. Since we shouldn't have special rules for just one thread, I think that it would be good if we would have an obituary section where people can't insult the deceased.

Perhaps we could add a retro vigil for such luminaries as Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin and Pol Pot, however, remember we "can't" insult the deceased.....Only look at the good things they did in life....

h.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote