Notices

Old 12-03-2009, 09:41 PM   #1
leonnyan
Enthusiast
leonnyan began at the beginning.

Device: PRS700BC
Sony eBook software: v3 sync issues

Hello,

I am having a new headache with Sony eReader software. I am running Windows & with latest eBook software (v3.0.01.10191).

Problem
Not syncing content consistently. What I see in status is the sync bar stalled and not moving. What is odd, is that it appears to be trying to sync my entire library when I may have only added one new book (via store purchase).

I am not sure why it would trigger a complete sync when previously it would do partial (i.e. only changed content). Also, it eats up processor/memory time slowing down the system when it stalls.

I am loathe to uninstall/reinstall (again) as it just makes me mad. Any ideas beyond a full reset/reinstall/time wasting day?

Cheers,

Leon
leonnyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 10:18 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Best thing to do is turn off auto sync. It never did work right. Manual sync works fine.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2009, 11:30 PM   #3
leonnyan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Best thing to do is turn off auto sync. It never did work right. Manual sync works fine.
Thank you. I'll try that. Just to clarify, do you un-check all folders in Reader>Sync View and only select and Sync when necessary?

--Leon

Last edited by leonnyan; 12-03-2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-04-2009, 12:32 AM   #4
leonnyan
Enthusiast

Urgh

I continue to hate Sony software.

I've tried manual sync, but it cleared my reader and then crashed the software. I am getting endless hangs and freezes now - and no content for my reader.

Argh.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:04 AM   #5
leonnyan
Enthusiast

OK. Solved.

After an hour on the forum and a lot of searches I found all the answers. Thank you MobileRead folks. Lots to read but these two links helped:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=15
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ntion-settings

So far so good for my last sync or two.

--Leon
Advert
Old 12-06-2009, 08:44 AM   #6
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
OK - it should be simple enough to select just the ebook library application...
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:04 PM   #7
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
still have Synch problem after Data Execution [DEP] change applied

I too seem to have the same/slightly different synch problem as others describe here. I hope folks can can suggest a fix.
My setup:

Windows XP Sp3
Sony Reader Library V3.1.00.1240
PRS 500 [just upgraded] V 20,00.09180 [just upgraded by Sony]
Data Execution [DEP] fix applied [DEP turned on for all except Sony reader executable].

When I try to move a book from the Library to the PRS 500. I get the Sync "waiting" response & it doesn't complete. The Sync ICON continues to rotate.
Sometimes I can transfer at .lrf from Library to PRS 500 Reader, but not routinely. Even when I can transfer at .LRF document the Sync wheel continues to rotate and "waiting" is displayed when I click on Sync label [the wheel]

I have been unable to transfer a .pdf document from the Library to the reader even though the PDF file is not protected. I CAN read the pdf using the Sony Reader Library application.

Also when I click on the Synch label it displays the Library tree with the Books label checked and also Books daughters checked. BUT I cannot check "LIBRARY" or uncheck and boxes. The Button to sync under the big Reader picture is always grayed out.

Anyone who has a suggestion how I can fix things please share it,even if you are not certain it will work for me.
Also if you have a link to download a previous version of the Sony Reader Library software that hasn't had the sync problem please share that with me.

FYI I am trying to transfer a .pdf to the 500 to see how the upgrade software now "reflows" the PDF document.
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 11:45 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Are you using auto sync or manual sync? Auto sync never really worked well. I don't sync actually, I just darg/drop the content to the Reader and then move to the collection(s).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 09:44 AM   #9
electrocutus
electrocutus began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-300
I too am having the sync problems that leonyan was experiencing. I have never managed to get the sync function to work, either automatically or manually. I've updated to the latest v3 software and tried the DEP fix, but sync still hangs.
I think I've resigned myself to do just drag and drop of individual books...
electrocutus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2009, 11:41 AM   #10
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by electrocutus View Post
I too am having the sync problems that leonyan was experiencing. I have never managed to get the sync function to work, either automatically or manually. I've updated to the latest v3 software and tried the DEP fix, but sync still hangs.
I think I've resigned myself to do just drag and drop of individual books...
That's how I've always done it (drag and drop). I feel like I have more control that way.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:57 PM   #11
katb
katb began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs-600
Smile sony ereader software freezing

I had the same problem with my reader software till I came across this solution - it worked a treat for me
I opened my Sony Reader Library software without my eReader connected. In the left-side panel, I clicked "Books" under "Library" so that the books I've imported showed in the right-side panel. This next part might take a while if you have a lot of books -- I double clicked each book I have to preview them (or right-clicked and clicked preview), until I came to a book the software couldn't find. I deleted that book, re-connected my eReader, and everything synced up just fine. Afterward, I re-added the book I deleted and synced again. I haven't had a problem since.
There were about a dozen books on mine that were missing - but totally solved the problem - hope this helps
katb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:56 AM   #12
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by katb View Post
I had the same problem with my reader software till I came across this solution - it worked a treat for me
I opened my Sony Reader Library software without my eReader connected. In the left-side panel, I clicked "Books" under "Library" so that the books I've imported showed in the right-side panel. This next part might take a while if you have a lot of books -- I double clicked each book I have to preview them (or right-clicked and clicked preview), until I came to a book the software couldn't find. I deleted that book, re-connected my eReader, and everything synced up just fine. Afterward, I re-added the book I deleted and synced again. I haven't had a problem since.
There were about a dozen books on mine that were missing - but totally solved the problem - hope this helps
I'm just entering this discussion, but I tried this today and it worked. I think what happened to me was I had been downloading new books to my desktop, then loading them onto the Sony library. Once I had a few books, I made a new folder then I moved them all into it. The first time I tried to sync my reader after that, I had big problems. Must have been because I moved those certain books into a different folder.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 01:16 PM   #13
kgarnjost
kgarnjost began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader Touch
Bad Files Is the Solution

I had the same problem using ebl on a Mac. I mistakenly renamed a file after importing it to the ebl. I was able to open the preview and use the arrow at the top of the window to step through the files one at a time. I found the problem file, deleted it from the ebl, re-imported it, and the eReader synced in no time. This thread is very useful. Thanks.
kgarnjost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 11:43 AM   #14
kgarnjost
kgarnjost began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader Touch
Add'l Syncing Notes

I had syncing problems again. I have ebl 3.1.00.12070 for the Mac and a PRS-600. I found I was plugging in the reader and the syncing would just hang on one file. Unlike my previous post, I could not find anything wrong with the file. It was in the right place and was viewable on both the computer and the reader. After reading several previous posts about auto versus manual syncing, I looked at the ebl preferences. There as no way to turn off auto-syncing in this version. However, I tried unchecking two entries: "Merge all notes when syncing with PRS device" and "Check for non-supported bookmarks during Reader device sync". With these items not checked the syncing worked fine.
kgarnjost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #15
Aquarius-Dal
Aquarius-Dal began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Thumbs up It works!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by katb View Post
katb's solution works!!! I've been trying to figure out the underlying culprit behind the sync problem. I've tried using calibre, though as nice a software as it may be, I want to leave it solely for the purpose of conversion and tweaking books. Thanks katb. I don't know why it wasn't so easy to search this problem on the net and given the enormous amount of complaint, I don't know why sony team hasn't come up with a patch... or to the very least put some helpful advice on their Q&A section...

Anyway I'm new to the forum Happy new year to you all
Aquarius-Dal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook library, frustration, software, sony, sync