Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 08-13-2007, 02:05 PM   #1
GuardianZX9
GuardianZX9 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader x 2
Angry Very disapointed in screen quality

Hello,

New Iliad owner here, I purchased the Iliad after owning 2 Sony readers and I have to say the screen quality is extremly inferior to that of the Sony, the ghosting on my device is horrible, so much that most of the last page read is still there ghosted between the lines of the current page, and the place where the main menu bars are located is always visible, even when off.

I paid a premium for the Iliad and I really expected this unit to perform on par with the pricing.

Is this common with all of the Iliad devices? as I said my Sony readers are excellent and have almost no ghosting at all, it very hard to see any ghosting traces at all on either device.

Do I have any recourse? will IRex replace the device for a better quality unit or am I stuck with this unit?

Thanks
G
GuardianZX9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:31 PM   #2
templario
Connoisseur
templario began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
I have had my Iliad since the end of last year and i never had ghosting problems. I suppose you could contact techsupport and send pictures of your fawlty Iliad.

Jose
templario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2007, 04:52 PM   #3
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Well, the impression on the iLiad and the Sony screen should be similar. If you have bad ghosting as you describe, there is probably a screen defect.

Contacting iRex techsupport is good advice.
techsupport@irextechnologies.com
And send pictures and your MAC address.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 08:54 PM   #4
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
In the beggining (early firmaware releases) the gosting effect was more pronounced. Now it has subsided quite a lot.
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 02:20 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No visible ghosting at all on my iLiad. The screen is considerably better than my Sony Reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2007, 02:26 AM   #6
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No visible ghosting at all on my iLiad. The screen is considerably better than my Sony Reader.
This is probably a wearoff effect. After a few weeks, the eink screens loose a bit of contrast. At least in my experience. But you notice it only, when you put a brand new eink screen beside the old one
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:41 AM   #7
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuardianZX9 View Post
Hello,
New Iliad owner here, I purchased the Iliad after owning 2 Sony readers and I have to say the screen quality is extremly inferior to that of the Sony, the ghosting on my device is horrible, so much that most of the last page read is still there ghosted between the lines of the current page, and the place where the main menu bars are located is always visible, even when off.
As said by others: this is not normal. iRex' techniqual support should help you.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 08:52 PM   #8
GuardianZX9

I have the dealer trying to get me a replacement, he is out, hopefully next week. I am otherwise happy with the unit, it is nice to take notes on with the exception of the buttons at the bottom getting in the way, would be nice to invert the screen for taking notes so the buttons dont get pressed.

G
Old 08-16-2007, 07:10 AM   #9
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuardianZX9 View Post
I have the dealer trying to get me a replacement, he is out, hopefully next week. I am otherwise happy with the unit, it is nice to take notes on with the exception of the buttons at the bottom getting in the way, would be nice to invert the screen for taking notes so the buttons dont get pressed.

G
Good luck in getting it replaced! It really sounds like you got a defective unit... last time I compared the two, the iLiad was a clear winner in screen quality compared to the Sony.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:36 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Good luck in getting it replaced! It really sounds like you got a defective unit... last time I compared the two, the iLiad was a clear winner in screen quality compared to the Sony.
That's certainly the case with mine. The 16 grey-scales of the iLiad make it a clear winner in terms of being able to show detailed icons, etc. My iLiad screen has absolutely no trace of ghosting, whereas my Sony has faint ghosting.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:12 PM   #11
GuardianZX9

So, got a replacement from the dealer and it is even worse than the first, so much for the dealer "checking every unit" that he sells prior to shipping, my unit was never opened and still sealed from the factory.

The second unit was so bad that the menu bars are visable all the time, even after 10+ page turns.

Also the bottom software buttons are also always there.

I can't belive that I am the only one seeing this attributes, one unit I can understand, but 2 in a row.

My Sony was nowhere this bad, I had almost no ghosting at all with either of my 2 PRS-500's.

G
Old 09-12-2007, 11:26 AM   #12
DeGodefroi
Zealot
DeGodefroi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite (had Illiad)
I also have ghosting on my Iliad.
I see the status icons also all the time but faintly.
I await 2.11 and will then see how it goes. Right now I can still read very well.
DeGodefroi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:41 PM   #13
bojan
Enthusiast
bojan is on a distinguished road

Device: iRex iLiad
Can you post any images, maybe with the Iliad turned off?
When I got mine, with the Iliad turned off the screen was absolutely white. Now, after three weeks I'm beginning to see some ghosting, but is barely visible.
Also check this thread, you can use the test pdf available there and compare the results.
It looks like you really had a bad luck, with two bad units in a row.
bojan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:46 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

There's something very odd going on. My iLiad, after a couple of months of heavy use, has absolutely no trace of ghosting. Zero.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:43 AM   #15
DeGodefroi
Zealot
DeGodefroi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite (had Illiad)
You see just a pure virgin white/light grey screen when it is off?
DeGodefroi is offline   Reply With Quote