Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-06-2009, 11:34 AM   #46
maynard
Connoisseur
maynard began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, iLiad, Entourage Edge
This is an excellent price point. The lack of pen input for annotation kills it for me. Plus it being sold by Amazon. However, the price point is excellent news for potential buyers of competitor's products, as it places price pressure downward on the entire market. The DR1K and iLiad, at their current price points, are now dead. iRex must compete on price or die as a company. The same will hold true for any other company that wants entry to the large display ereader market such as Sony, Apple, and others.
maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:35 AM   #47
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivlio View Post
In which ways do you think plasticlogic's might be better?
Well, for one thing, Plasticlogic still has to reveal itself in a commercial, non-prototype product.

I haven't seen any direct comparisons of Plasticlogic technology versus E Ink technology, but it would be certainly interesting to see the result.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:36 AM   #48
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
They really can't add WiFi access or offer Europe access without new hardware and new chips to support those features.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:36 AM   #49
timmins
eBook Obsessive
timmins began at the beginning.

Device: tc1100, q1, hw6945, h6315, x3i
Ordered.

I've been sitting on the fence for too many years. My entire library is PDF and after finding the conversion process to be bittersweet I contemplated buying something from iRex. Year after year I couldn't justify the price of an iRex.

I couldn't wait. All week I was reading rumor sites looking for a price. $500 with 3G and native PDF support.... ordered. Now I can't wait for it to ship.
timmins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:38 AM   #50
maynard
Connoisseur
maynard began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, PRS-505, iLiad, Entourage Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
They really can't add WiFi access or offer Europe access without new hardware and new chips to support those features.
Yes. Because WIFI chips are expensive at the component level and prototyping a new motherboard for a new product line with different display features would be too difficult.

You're kidding, right?
maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:38 AM   #51
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
If you mean books, yes, it's just like Kindle 2 in that regard. But if you mean non-MP3s or non-Audible.com audible books, then no.
Thanks. My thought was could you transfer ebooks bought from other than Amazon into it. [Or for that matter books gleaned from scanning and/or MobileRead books.] I noticed it supports non-DRM mobi. The thought that IF I had a Kindle I could ONLY buy my books from Amazon is a definite no-go for me.

As far as audiobooks, all my audiobooks are in MP3 format, even the one I was duped into getting as a free download from Audible. [I won't do that again.]
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:39 AM   #52
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
The interesting part ist:

- what is the resolution
- how fast is the device
- how much memory
- how many 'colors'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
Kindle DX Product link (should be ready any time - try again if it's not up yet) - It's up!

It's going to be called Kindle DX.

It's going to have a 9.7" screen.

It's going to have wireless.

It's going to cost $489.00

More to follow...

Press Release

Kindle DX Quick Start Guide (PDF)

Kindle DX User Guide (PDF)

From the description:
  • Slim: Just over 1/3 of an inch, as thin as most magazines
  • Carry Your Library: Holds up to 3,500 books, periodicals, and documents
  • Beautiful Large Display: 9.7" diagonal e-ink screen reads like real paper; boasts 16 shades of gray for clear text and sharp images
  • Auto-Rotating Screen: Display auto-rotates from portrait to landscape as you turn the device so you can view full-width maps, graphs, tables, and Web pages
  • Built-In PDF Reader: Native PDF support allows you to carry and read all of your personal and professional documents on the go
  • Wireless: 3G wireless lets you download books right from your Kindle DX, anytime, anywhere; no monthly fees, no annual contracts, and no hunting for Wi-Fi hotspots
  • Books In Under 60 Seconds: You get free wireless delivery of books in less than 60 seconds; no PC required
  • Long Battery Life: Read for days without recharging
  • Read-to-Me: With the text-to-speech feature, Kindle DX can read newspapers, magazines, blogs, and books out loud to you, unless the book's rights holder made the feature unavailable
  • Big Selection, Low Prices: Over 275,000 books; New York Times Best Sellers and New Releases are only $9.99, unless marked otherwise
  • More Than Books: U.S. and international newspapers including the New York Times and Wall Street Journal, magazines including The New Yorker and Time, plus popular blogs, all auto-delivered wirelessly
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:41 AM   #53
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynard View Post
Yes. Because WIFI chips are expensive at the component level and prototyping a new motherboard for a new product line with different display features would be too difficult.
While WiFi seems possible, it wouldn't add the same "sexiness" to the device as 3G connectivity. With WiFi, you still need to find a hotspot before you can buy your books... can you imagine how bothersome it would be to start war driving for WiFi access with a Kindle?
Old 05-06-2009, 11:41 AM   #54
anthonymoody
anthonymoody began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Ordered. And a no brainer for me: native PDF support and a much better reading experience for what I use my K2 for 90+% of the time which is reading scripts.
anthonymoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:41 AM   #55
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maynard View Post

You're kidding, right?
No, I never said it would be too difficult. I said that's why they're not selling to Kindle 2 or the DX in Europe. You guys will have to wait for special hardware (or some universal Kindle 3 in the future).
Old 05-06-2009, 11:42 AM   #56
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
Thanks. My thought was could you transfer ebooks bought from other than Amazon into it. [Or for that matter books gleaned from scanning and/or MobileRead books.] I noticed it supports non-DRM mobi. The thought that IF I had a Kindle I could ONLY buy my books from Amazon is a definite no-go for me.
Ahh, that's not true. Kindle 1 and 2 both support non-DRM MOBI/PRC files.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #57
doctorow
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post

- what is the resolution
- how fast is the device
- how much memory
- how many 'colors'
- 1200 x 824 pixel resolution
- 150 pixels per inch
- 16-level gray scale
- 4GB internal storage

Speed - no idea.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:43 AM   #58
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
almost every post not on this website says its too much, but still, right now. it's a great price comparitivly.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:44 AM   #59
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post

- what is the resolution
- how fast is the device
- how much memory
- how many 'colors'
The resolution is 1200 x 824. Don't know speed yet but probably same as Kindle 2. 4GB memory (3.3 GB usable). 16 shades of grey, just like Kindle 2.
Old 05-06-2009, 11:45 AM   #60
AJ Starr
Guru
AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AJ Starr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PEZ, Color Libre, 2@Sony T1, Onyx i62HD
Quote:
Ahh, that's not true. Kindle 1 and 2 both support non-DRM MOBI/PRC files.
Thanks, that's good to know. Obviously I'm not a Kindle "follower", just got caught up in the excitement today.

Anyone know what controller it has, the video demo looked like the page turned fast. Is it the infamous Epson controller?
AJ Starr is offline   Reply With Quote