Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-11-2011, 10:23 AM   #1
Pullar
Pullar began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Continual Setup

ok I've had my touch for a week now. Finished my first book from the kobo store and everything seemed great. Picked up a free thrid party book and loaded it with Calibre. All seemed well for a day but then I started having issues. When I power off it doesn't seem to power off properly. I get the cross hatched lines through the book coverabout 90 % of the time that i power off. Then when that does happen and I turn back on later It wants to go through the set up again. I can skip the set up after selecting the language again and it will go back to my book. I've tried a basic reset three times and two full factory resets. All seems to go well. Reload book with calibre and again everything seems great. Read for a bit then power off and bingo problem is there again. I've emailed kobo support yesterday but no response yet. I've also searched the forum and read through similar post, but in those the people couldn't set up where mine does at first. I'm about ready to take it back to chapters and go by a nook, so any help would be appreciated.
Pullar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2011, 02:01 PM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Could it be that particular book? There are some mighty odd "third party" books out in the wild. If you bought the reader locally, you could always return it and see if you just happened to get a dud.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
Pullar

I am currently doing a factory reset again and am going to try a different book to see if that makes a difference. If not it will be going back. Thanks
Old 11-11-2011, 09:34 PM   #4
Pullar

Different book made no difference. I've been fiddling with things all day and finally fell upon what seems to be a solution. If I go back to the home page before powering off, I don't get any odd behaviour, the unit shuts down and the book cover displays correctly every time. It also powers on without wanting to go through the setup. Before I was powering off from the page i left off on. Now I can keep reading both in the forums and my kobo.
Old 11-11-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Glad you found a workaround, but if it's only a week old I think I would take it back and exchange it wherever you bought it if possible. That's not normal behaviour, so something isn't right (esp. if a factory reset didn't solve it). Sounds like something that could get worse over time and an exchange now might be the most painless way to correct the issue.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2011, 07:24 AM   #6
tsb1
Enthusiast
tsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five wordstsb1 can name that ebook in five words

Mine did that as well and then eventually froze completely on the needing recharged screen. I exchanged it for a new one and haven't had any problems with turning it off at all. I'd recommend changing it as well.
tsb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 09:32 AM   #7
SameerH
Product Manager
SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameerH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
This unfortunately looks like a manufacturing defect. I would exchange it for a new one, if you have any problems email me shasan at kobo dot com.
SameerH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 01:30 PM   #8
Pullar

Just got back from chapters. Must say that that was one of the easiest exchanges I've every done. The new unit is currently charging then i'll see how it does.
Thanks everyone for all the resposes.
Old 11-12-2011, 06:09 PM   #9
Pullar

Well it appers that the new unit is doing exactly the same thing as the first. I loaded double exposure the free book that was advertised in the deals and freebies section. Downloaded it from sony, and moved it to KT with calibre. If I power down while in the book it powers off but the book title screen gets messed up. then when powering back on later it want to setup. I can skip the set up and get back into the book as before. But agin if i poer down while in the main screen there is no issue.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:35 AM   #10
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Does it happen if you don't use Calibre?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #11
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you got it from Sony, then it has Adobe DRM (unless it has been magically removed). Try sideloading it using ADE.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #12
Pullar

Just finished the book will try taking it off and loading again with adobe.
Reloaded the original file through adobe and tried a couple cycles, and it seemed fine. However books from epub bud loaded through adobe still have the same issue. I don't think they have drm. So it may be an issue with that.

Last edited by Pullar; 11-13-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:23 PM   #13
taming
Trying for calm & polite

I have this sense that you are doing something I have done myself--that is, missing something very basic--and if you are like me, when you twig to it, you will feel like slapping yourself upside the head.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:48 AM   #14
Pullar

Yeah I figure I'm missing something. I reread through the calibre guide, as well as alf's blog. I'll keep reading things on this site as well and maybe I'll stuble upon it. until the heading back to te main screen to shut down isn't too bad.
On a side note I am loving the kobo touch. On my 5th book in under 2 weeks. I usually read that many a year.