Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-08-2010, 11:41 AM   #31
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
And KFC, just what are those 11 herbs and spices? Hmmm?
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #32
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppw View Post
Another analogy is dedicated scanners vs. multifunction machines.

For a minority of people, a dedicated device is preferred. But for the majority of people, a multi-function device is suffice. Amazon's kindle hardware afters the minority while Apple' Ipad afters the mass. Amazon can not rely on the minorities to keep updating their devices as their business model because there would be no growth.
The scanner vs multifunction device is a good example of just why it can still be a good thing to have separate devices, separate functions tied together in a package that is generally bulkier, no cheaper and a single point of failure i.e. your printer breaks and you have also lost your scanner.

As far as amazon, have you not being paying attention to the various Kindle for ... apps that are out there for pc, mac, blackberry, idevices and android? The actual Kindle hardware makes money in its own right and while that is still true then you will keep seeing new models if they offer sufficent benefits to the existing owners, their business model relies on nothing more than selling books and they are clearly not locked into any particular hardware to do that.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 01:28 PM   #33
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ppw View Post
An analogy of Kindle vs. Ipad can be made is dedicated GPS devices vs. smart phones. I believe the current state of GPS is the future state of dedicated reading device.

Another analogy is dedicated scanners vs. multifunction machines.

For a minority of people, a dedicated device is preferred. But for the majority of people, a multi-function device is suffice. Amazon's kindle hardware afters the minority while Apple' Ipad afters the mass. Amazon can not rely on the minorities to keep updating their devices as their business model because there would be no growth.
There is no way I'm buying another home printer without scanner/copy/print functions, that's for sure.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:02 PM   #34
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
A point to make about that 10th or 20th generation kindle, those could easily end up being multifunction devices too, providing that any additional features don't compromise the reading experience then why wouldn't they add other media, after all amazon already have music and video download services they would be happy to have you buy stuff from I am sure.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 02:11 PM   #35
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
*sigh*

Good technologies rarely go away. For every highly touted example (e.g. PDA into Smartphone), there are numerous counter-examples: Radios, video game consoles, fax machines, scanners, photocopiers, DVD players, amplifiers, home theater receivers could all be rolled into a single home theater PC. Hasn't happened yet.

In the interim, devices like the Kindle are cheaper, lighter, are less distracting, have 15x longer battery lives, and (arguably) better screens for plain ol' reading.

And if the personal anecdote is of any use, my iPad has been gathering dust ever since I finished Plants vs Zombies. The larger screen is OK for reading, but the anti-aliasing on the text sucks, it's too heavy and bulky to read on the subway, and the cost of a Kindle 3 is the same as 1 year of low-end 3g service for the iPad. I have yet to really need to utilize the big advantage of the iPad, namely the ability to buy ebooks from multiple vendors.

More critically, the author of the article fails to understand that not all book purchasers are created equal. 50% of punters buy 10 books or less per year; people who buy more than that are increasingly likely to want a device that is optimized for reading -- and generate a disproportionate amount of the industry's revenues.

Apple has a lot of work to do before it blasts the Kindle out of the water.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:31 PM   #36
ppw
Connoisseur
ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle DXG, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
As far as amazon, have you not being paying attention to the various Kindle for ... apps that are out there for pc, mac, blackberry, idevices and android? The actual Kindle hardware makes money in its own right and while that is still true then you will keep seeing new models if they offer sufficent benefits to the existing owners, their business model relies on nothing more than selling books and they are clearly not locked into any particular hardware to do that.
I think the discussion here is Kindle hardware. As for kindle apps, that's probably another discussion. In fact Jeff Bezos purposely created two separate divisions (Kindle hardware and Kindle software) within Amazon. I believe it's a hedge in case one would not dominate the market. I stand by that Kindle hardware's future is murky at best. Keeping sales figures secret just adds to the doubts.
ppw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 03:48 PM   #37
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
why buy a penknife with a single blade when you can buy a Swiss Army Knife ....

it's less bulky for one reason, fewer things to go 'wrong' ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:26 PM   #38
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Yeah, why buy a screwdriver, a corkscrew, a pair of scissors, a toothpick, a nail file or any of that other stuff separately when it all comes in a Swiss Army knife? I predict that within five years, scissors will be obsolete.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 04:28 PM   #39
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Why buy a toothpick at all?
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #40
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
And KFC, just what are those 11 herbs and spices? Hmmm?
At least *FIVE* websites exist that attempt to convince you they've figured it out.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:19 PM   #41
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
There is no way I'm buying another home printer without scanner/copy/print functions, that's for sure.
Exactly why I bought an Artisan 710...

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #42
Viseguy
Just a kid from Bklyn
Viseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
I think the article is essentially right - 50 years from now there probably won't be any dedicated e-readers, but something that can duplicate the easy reading screen with the other functionality of the iPad (and probably other stuff we can only dream of. ...
Agree -- but I think it'll be a lot sooner than that. At the rate technology advances these days, I'd give it 10 to 15 years, maybe less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
... And hopefully buttons).
Definitely buttons! As long as there are opposable thumbs, we will always have buttons.
Viseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 05:59 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Strnad View Post
Yeah, why buy a screwdriver, a corkscrew, a pair of scissors, a toothpick, a nail file or any of that other stuff separately when it all comes in a Swiss Army knife? I predict that within five years, scissors will be obsolete.
I have to say, now that the txtr app has been made for the iPad, with a well formatted ePub with nice embedded fonts, it looks way way better then iBooks. Look in the Apple forum at the txtr app thread where I've posted screen shots. But, I do have to say that even if I had an iPad, a good eink reader is a nice compliment and more portable.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:00 PM   #44
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
....and the cost of a Kindle 3 is the same as 1 year of low-end 3g service for the iPad. ....
This.

I haven't thought much about this recently (thought about it a lot when I first got a Kindle, again when I considered iPod Touch vs iPhone) but this is a big deal. At least, it's a big deal for me. I would rather save my pennies and buy something big than commit myself to more monthly bills.

The iPad is very shiny. Literally. I might want one someday--a WiFi one. But I want a K3 *first*.

And regarding PDAs disappearing into smartphones--I don't want to have my PDA held for ransom every month. Show me a pay-go smartphone and I'll think about it. In the meantime, an iPod touch works pretty darn well as a PDA, which is a big part of why I got one.
catsittingstill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:20 PM   #45
MikeFromHC
Zealot
MikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-booksMikeFromHC has learned how to read e-books

Device: Pandigital Novel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marioninyc View Post
Hans -- You may be right, but I've had this one-task vs multi-function conversation with friends -- even ones who read (but none yet with any who read e-books or actually own a kindle, nook or Sony E-Reader). A lot of people for whatever reason FEEL passionately about this one-function thing and are convinced that EVERYONE wants something that does it all. Time will tell.
Maybe not everyone but enough to make the future of a dedicated reader questionable in the short run and gone in the long run.
Dedicated word processors went the way of the Dodo long before the PC caught up with what they could do.
It's hard to find a throw-away cell phone that only serves as a phone.
MP3 players have video,photos, sound recording, FM radio in addition to playing sounds. (And I dumped my last one for a phone that plays MP3's until the phone rings.)
Maybe cheap and inexpensive dedicated readers will stay around but chances are they will have the kind of crappy software that my Novel has and that is a pain for somebody that reads a lot.
MikeFromHC is offline   Reply With Quote