Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: What shall I read next?
Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe 5 7.46%
Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency by Douglas Adams 16 23.88%
Emma by Jane Austen 4 5.97%
Tarzan of the Apes by Edgar Rice Burroughs 3 4.48%
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte 5 7.46%
The Awakening by Kate Chopin 1 1.49%
Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe 2 2.99%
Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier 6 8.96%
Three Musketeers by Alexander Dumas 12 17.91%
Silas Marner by George Eliot 0 0%
Room with a View by E M Forster 1 1.49%
1984 by George Orwell 17 25.37%
The Jungle by Upton Sinclair 3 4.48%
Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson 5 7.46%
Gulliver's Travels by Jonathon Swift 4 5.97%
The Secret History by Donna Tartt 1 1.49%
Walden by Henry David Thoreau 4 5.97%
Last Chronicle of Barset by Anthony Trollope 2 2.99%
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain 8 11.94%
Around the World in 80 Days by Jules Verne 5 7.46%
Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde 6 8.96%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-28-2009, 07:32 PM   #61
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
You should demand 1001 cute bartenders and a pole.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:15 PM   #62
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Don't worry, I was checking out all the cute college boys.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2009, 09:39 PM   #63
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

I already devoured 1984. It was awesome! My brain hurts a little. I kept thinking about how a lot of the topics in it have been handled in recent times. It was like a reverse Allegory of the Cave, almost.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:47 PM   #64
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
...It was like a reverse Allegory of the Cave, almost.
A link for those, like me, who have not heard of the "Allegory of the Cave":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_cave

and a clapping of hands for what I can now see is an interesting way of looking at 1984, and makes me want to read it again:

(Well, okay, these folk are way too excited. They're probably on drugs.)

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:50 PM   #65
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
A link for those, like me, who have not heard of the "Allegory of the Cave":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_cave

and a clapping of hands for what I can now see is an interesting way of looking at 1984, and makes me want to read it again:

(Well, okay, these folk are way too excited. They're probably on drugs.)

Cheers,
Marc
If you substitute "Allegory of the Cave" for "The Matrix," you wouldn't be far off. Glad I helped you learn something new today though
Advert
Old 04-06-2009, 07:17 PM   #66
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Just started Dirk Gently! Very excited, I think I'll finish this in a day or two (wish I had it as an ebook, sigh).
Old 04-07-2009, 02:59 PM   #67
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
You guys keep recommending books that aren't on my list, I think I'm going to have to strangle you all. Between my own personal list and this one, I'm not sure if I need more

Where's dg's stick??
To add to your reading list is all 32 of the the Discworld novels. All are available as eBooks except the 32nd as it's not out till later this year.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/p/terry-pratchett/

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-07-2009 at 03:15 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:09 PM   #68
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
I already devoured 1984. It was awesome! My brain hurts a little. I kept thinking about how a lot of the topics in it have been handled in recent times. It was like a reverse Allegory of the Cave, almost.

Now imagine reading it in the 3rd grade. It taught me the mindset behind the school system I was in at the time....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:11 PM   #69
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Now imagine reading it in the 3rd grade. It taught me the mindset behind the school system I was in at the time....
Oh boy. I'm still only 30 pages in so now I'm going to have fun thinking about reading it at that age
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To add to your reading list is all 32 of the the Discworld novels. All are available as eBooks except the 32nd as it's not out till later this year.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/p/terry-pratchett/
Beating you with a stick! Stick stick stick! If you said it was a small series I would have, but 32??? Ahhhhhh I need to quit working and just read all day, then I'll get my lists done
Old 04-07-2009, 07:18 PM   #70
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
That was me with Animal Farm, although I think I was a bit older.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:19 PM   #71
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fledchen View Post
That was me with Animal Farm, although I think I was a bit older.
I read Pilgrim's Progress in the third grade (for school). And I read the Red Pony (but not for school). And everyone wants to know why I like reading fun light novels