Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-16-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Latest Dan Brown

Got an email from Amazon saying Dan Brown's Inferno will be released May 14.

Anyone else going to read it?

Let the rants begin.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Win 10 thinkpad 8in
Damn..! I am sure I will read it (and rant too).
din155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #3
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
This is one where I will violate my pricing guidelines.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #4
din155
Guru
din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.din155 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not me though I can wait for the price to come down. And I will read it in spite of the reviews it receives.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #5
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Luckily I never cared for Dan Brown. (Read the Davinci Code and didn't like it) I especially don't care for the price of this ebook. No way I am paying that for any ebook.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
din155
Guru

Not to steer this thread towards Dan Brown bashing but I really liked the story of Dan Brown when I read it for the first time. Unfortunately I read it for the second time and it spoilt all the fun I had the first time
Reminder to me - Never re-read Dan Brown.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
His books are always good escapist fun, if one doesn't take them too seriously.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I read Da Vinci Code. I've done my time. Don't make me go back.

I did quite enjoy the underlying "secret" stuff in DVC, but the writing was jarringly bad, and it turned out that the meat of the story all came from someone else's "non-fiction" book anyway.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:20 PM   #9
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
I've read them all. Very formulaic and I got tired of them quickly. Read the last one only because I have a mild interest in the Masons. Didn't like it much, just seemed way to try hardish. Like he was desperate to show some major surprising historical conspiracy with an amazing secret all out of something that was just kind of blah. Probably wont read this one but if someone lends it to me and I've got nothing else to read at the time who knows.
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #10
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I'll pass. I'm not really a fan.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 04:43 AM   #11
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
His books are always good escapist fun, if one doesn't take them too seriously.
Agreed, with emphasis on the "don't take them too seriously part"

They're "badly" written (by which I mean you can see the workings - the author's tricks he uses are there for all to see, where a technically better writer would conceal them), full of logical and technical errors and largely ridiculous, but I do find them strangely addictive and I'll certainly be reading the new one.

"Digital Fortress" is particularly daft - full of fundamental conceptual and technical errors regarding computing in general and compression in particular. I still enjoyed it, though.

If you like Dan Brown's stuff and want something in a similar escapist vein, but better written, I'd suggest MobileRead member Boyd Morrison's work - well worth a visit.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:50 AM   #12
ladyashk
Enthusiast
ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ladyashk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600 (2009, Nook Simple Touch (2012), KPW2 (2013), KPW4 (2021)
I enjoyed 'Da Vinci Code' and 'Angels and Demons' though they were a bit too fast-paced for me.
Wonder what the Inferno is about.
ladyashk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 05:55 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyashk View Post
Wonder what the Inferno is about.
Something to do with Dante's work, perhaps? Mystical secrets hidden in the "Divine Comedy"?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 03:01 AM   #14
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Got an email from Amazon saying Dan Brown's Inferno will be released May 14.

Anyone else going to read it?

Let the rants begin.
I will have to say that I will wait for the movie.
My lady friend may read it first.
I have found the movies better. More interesting.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:20 AM   #15
LovesMacs
Fanatic
LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LovesMacs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle Touch
I have read a few Dan Brown books on the recommendation of a coworker. The obvious factual errors distract me too much to get immersed in the stories.
LovesMacs is offline   Reply With Quote