Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 10:21 AM   #1
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Android

So i'm thinking of ditching my blackberry bold for a motorola droid/milestone. The only thing I like about the Blackberry is it's messenger and the fact that almost all the members of my family(and girlfriend) has one.

Anyone use an android based phone? how do you like it?

Has the whole Android "fragmentation" thing been a problem for you or do unofficial rom updates work fine?

Any other advice would be welcome.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:23 AM   #2
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
did you really want the meetup tag on this?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 10:51 AM   #3
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
Hey, I'm going for android too. Maybe. It depends if someone lets out capacitive amoled with qwerty and 480x800 (or similar) resolution in device that fits in the pocket and weights less than a standard brick. 'm pretty sure the last sentence is not grammatically correct, but I can't put my finger on the mistake, so I hope it is at least understandable

You sure about the meet up tag?
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
You sure about the meet up tag?
Well, it got our attention, didn't it?
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Haha sorry I made the post while talking with someone at work, i'll see if i can edit it when i get back to the office.

Or if a mod could please change the tag to seriously thoughtful or none
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Prefix changed, as requested.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 03:10 PM   #7
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
I've had a G1 for a year now, love it!
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 05:14 PM   #8
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I'm a long-time Apple user, so if you're not, take everything I say with a grain of salt

I didn't want to buy an iPhone (too expensive, and besides, everyone has one ) so I bought a HTC Tattoo instead. I haven't tested all the functionalities because my 3G phone package is not active yet, but I have some things to say already.

I was rather miffed that the only way I could synchronize my contacts with my MacBook was through my Google account. It didn't help that the app I downloaded to do this on the MacBook side is rather clunky and the French translation is awful, but that's just detail.

I can't generalize since this is the only Android device I've ever used so far, but the HTC Tattoo is obviously much easier to synchronize if you use Windows and Microsoft apps, and of course Google services. Don't know about Linux, but on a Mac it's far from perfect.

In the end it worked out OK for me. I don't need to synchronize my contacts (managed on the MacBook) very often, so it's no big deal if it's clunky. I do have a Google account and was considering making gmail my main email server, and I'm testing that solution now but so far it's working. Also, one good thing is that I was able to synchronize Google Agenda with my professional Outlook calendar very easily. So now I have my professional calendar on the Tattoo, and my personal one (which is almost empty anyway) on my Ipod Touch. So I'm not unhappy with this setup so far.

As I said, I can't test all the functionalities yet, the one I'm most interested about is Google Maps, but I'll only be able to make full use of it after my phone package gets upgraded, next week.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:06 AM   #9
YGG-
Dry fruit
YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.YGG- ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Opus + HTC Desire HD
Wink Well, after all, it's a Google product, isn't it?

I didn't test anything w/ my Mac (& it's not my main PC anyway), and I was already on GMail & GCal (personal & professional mails & calendars); it worked like a dream (pun intended) ! I just had to enter my mails & passwords & there they were on my screen, faithfully synchronizing whenever I decided to!
I appreciate also some of the apps they have (bought a few) : I use a lot PowerManager, BarcodeScanner, Scan2PDF, HandcentSMS, Aldiko (of course), ParisIti, Waze & GoogleMaps...
A globally good experience.
Some minor gripes : my machine is sometimes slow to react, some apps react in strange ways & I had to ditch a few, battery is wearing out at an alarming rate...
YGG- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:43 AM   #10
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have to add that I haven't looked at the app market (is that its name?) yet. I tried to but made the mistake of attempting to read the terms of use, and I was horrified by the half-page description of "intellectual property" that I'm supposed to respect. I kind of got the impression that according to those, anyone could basically sue me for looking at their app funny Of course, I'm sure the Apple App Store terms are just as whacky, and they make me accept those pratically every time I use the damn thing it seems, so I'm sure I will end up accepting the Google terms also
Old 07-01-2010, 03:46 AM   #11
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGG- View Post
I didn't test anything w/ my Mac (& it's not my main PC anyway), and I was already on GMail & GCal (personal & professional mails & calendars); it worked like a dream (pun intended) ! I just had to enter my mails & passwords & there they were on my screen, faithfully synchronizing whenever I decided to!
I appreciate also some of the apps they have (bought a few) : I use a lot PowerManager, BarcodeScanner, Scan2PDF, HandcentSMS, Aldiko (of course), ParisIti, Waze & GoogleMaps...
A globally good experience.
Some minor gripes : my machine is sometimes slow to react, some apps react in strange ways & I had to ditch a few, battery is wearing out at an alarming rate...
Yes, mine works very well with Google services too.

And yes, the battery doesn't last long. Mine woke me up at 6AM this morning, complaining that it was drained out I miss the auto-shutdown function my old Siemens phone had.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:23 AM   #12
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Don't know about Linux, but on a Mac it's far from perfect.
You mac user get screwed less than we linux do

I think my tattoo's battery hold about 2 days.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 07-01-2010 at 06:27 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 12:02 PM   #13
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I have a Droid and I really like it.

It doesn't have the AMOLED screen, but the LCD is higher resolution, which is a worthwhile tradeoff in my opinion. (I wasn't wowed by the screen on a friend's Incredible and all the current AMOLED screens are pentile which provides a lower effective resolution for text - which is more important to me than images.)

I haven't bothered with any unofficial ROMs, but on the whole it's worked very well. I am seeing a few minor fragmentation issues now that 2.2 is out, but since my phone should be getting the update fairly soon it's not too major for me.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 04:33 PM   #14
Catire
Lord of the Universe

Thank you all for the comments and opinions, I might be getting a Motorola Milestone (GSM version of the droid) soon
Old 07-05-2010, 04:38 PM   #15
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

What's this "fragmentation" thingy?