Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-09-2013, 08:47 PM   #91
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WordCountess View Post
Stargirl is among my favorites. For teen girls it's one of the most beautiful books they could come across.

I also quite enjoyed 'The Series of Unfortunate Events' books. I read them when I was in fourth grade and then again later in life. I wasn't the biggest fan of the movie (but I think all readers have that problem).
Yep, there hasn't been a movie based on a book that can really compare to the book itself I don't think. The imagination of the reader is so much more vivid than any special effect can be and since 1 page of script = one minute of film time if they included everything from a book, like for example 'Gone With The Wind' in the screenplay not only would it probably cost far to much to make but it would take far too long to watch it.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 10:41 PM   #92
icallaci
Guru
icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icallaci ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Elipsa
The recent Life of Pi movie might be the exception to "the movie is never as good as the book." At least for me, the scenes in the movie were incredibly close to the scenes I imagined as I was reading the book.
icallaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2013, 03:45 PM   #93
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Henning Mankell - Kurt Wallander
Kathy Reichs - Temperance Brennan
Lee Child - Jack Reacher
Patricia Cornwell - Kay Scarpetta
Tess Gerritsen - Rizzoli & Isles
Peter May - Lewis Trilogy
Stieg Larsson - Millennium Trilogy

Series that I've only read a couple of books from but like and will aim to read more of:

Christopher Brookmyre - Jack Parlabane
James Patterson - Alex Cross
Jo Nesbo - Harry Hole
Ken McClure - Dr Dunbar
Ian Rankin - Inspector Rebus
Karin Slaughter books featuring Will Trent

Stephen King's The Dark Tower is probably the first series I ever read (apart from kids books), but after reading the first four I've never tried to get back into the series since reading them in the 1990's, as I don't think I'd enjoy them the same now.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #94
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
Stieg Larsson - Millennium Trilogy
It's not actually a trilogy. Larsson died before he could complete the next book and his girlfriend is not allowed to finish it in his stead.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #95
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It's not actually a trilogy. Larsson died before he could complete the next book and his girlfriend is not allowed to finish it in his stead.
I've read three books from that series. Which one wasn't complete?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #96
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I've read three books from that series. Which one wasn't complete?
The three books are complete. There were to be more books in the series.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:22 PM   #97
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
The three books are complete. There were to be more books in the series.
Thankyou!

I thought Jon was wrong.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #98
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Interesting, I never knew that either. Millennium series then, which sadly ended up only as a trilogy.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #99
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Yep, dying will certainly jack up a series. I remember thinking prior to the last Harry Potter book being published that I would be very bummed if Rowling would have keeled over and not finished the series.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:00 PM   #100
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Yep, dying will certainly jack up a series. I remember thinking prior to the last Harry Potter book being published that I would be very bummed if Rowling would have keeled over and not finished the series.
Yes, I got my fix of Harry Potter via fanfictions while waiting for each of the 7 canon books.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:40 AM   #101
ReneAZ
eBookaholic
ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReneAZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kindle Fire
Two series that I follow religiously:

Maisie Dobbs (by Jacqueline Winspear)
and
Inspector Gamache (by Louise Gamache)

--------------------
recommended: StopYoureKillingMe.com for mystery books in order
ReneAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 12:28 PM   #102
Paegan2246
Connoisseur
Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paegan2246 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Touch, iPod Touch, 3-160GB iPod classics
Inspector Gamache (by Louise Penny) I finished the entire series a few weeks back and thoroughly enjoyed them.

My Recommendation for best series:
The Mary Russell books by Laurie R King
The Marcus Didius Falco series by Lindsey Davis
The Saxons Chronicles by Bernard Cornwell
The Black Daggerhood Brothers series by J. R. Ward
Sebastian St. Cyr Mysteries by C S Harris
The Welsh Trilogy by Sharon K. Penman
Paegan2246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:46 AM   #103
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
Cotton Malone by Steve Berry
Billy Boyle by James Benn
The Saxon Chronicles by Bernard Cromwell
Chronicles of Brother Cadfael by Ellis Peters (Edith Pargeter)
Vatican Trilogy by Morris West
Flood by Stephen Baxter
Robert Langdon by Dan Brown
Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flammel by Michael Scott
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 02:32 AM   #104
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Harry Potter
Percy Jackson and the Olympians
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:46 AM   #105
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Some of my faves:
Inspector Gamache by Louise Penny - Mystery
Bruno, Chief of Police by Martin Walker - Mystery
Vorkosigan Series by Lois McMaster Bujold - Sci Fi
Vatta's War by Elizabeth Moon - Sci Fi
Saga of Recluce by L.E. Modesitt - Fantasy
The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher - Urban Fantasy
The Codex Alera by by Jim Butcher - Fantasy
John Wells Series by Alex Berenson - Thriller
Alexander Hawke Series by Ted Bell - Thriller

There are many other faves, but these are probably my main ones.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote