Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-14-2010, 06:47 PM   #1
coreyt
coreyt began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
DBusException

Apologies for this post, I'm having some difficulty and couldn't find a solution to my problem. I'm hoping somebody can point me in the right direction.

I'm using gentoo and calibre 0.6.33, there's some configuration piece that I'm missing and a DBus exception is giving me some information on how to solve the problem; I just can't make it the rest of the way.

In the past I was able to plug in my PRS-700 and calibre would happily sync with the device. Lately I receive an error when I attempt to connect the device. The error I receive when I plug in my reader is

Code:
ERROR: ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>DBusException</b>:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/__init__.py", line 245, in dispatch
    self.func(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/ui.py", line 835, in device_detected
    _(' detected.'), 3000)
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/status.py", line 258, in showMessage
    self.notifier(msg)
  File "/usr/lib/calibre/calibre/gui2/notify.py", line 69, in __call__
    timeout)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 68, in __call__
    return self._proxy_method(*args, **keywords)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/proxies.py", line 140, in __call__
    **keywords)
  File "/usr/lib64/python2.6/site-packages/dbus/connection.py", line 622, in call_blocking
    message, timeout)
DBusException: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.
Anyone have any ideas on where I can start looking next to solve my problem?
coreyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:49 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
That's caused because apaprently you freedesktop.org notifier library (libnotify?) isn't working. You can work around it by disabling system tray notifications in the calibre preferences.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2010, 10:55 PM   #3
coreyt
coreyt began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
Kovid.

Thanks so much for your prompt response. Indeed, disabling system tray notifications allows me to run without any errors.

Any pointers on debugging this problem further? I did like the notifications, and would like to see them return.

Also, a personal thank you for a magnificent application that you have provided, as well as your helpful nature.
coreyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:06 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
try re emerging libnotify or whatever package you're using to provide desktop notfications as well as dbus-python
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dbus, prs-700