Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 08-16-2017, 02:32 PM   #241
fgdas
Addict
fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fgdas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 13inch
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmesker View Post
There is an unofficial 4.4 update here http://ereader-store.de/en/content/8-downloads but Onyx TS says about an android 4.4 update for the Max Carta "We will try to do our best to create such update, but there are a lot of difficulties in compatibility of the Max Carta hardware and this version of Android. So, we do not think it will be very soon." About the unofficial update "We do not advise to install this firmware because of the reason mentioned. We are neither responsible for this update nor checked it up."
A friend of me tried this update and it made his Max Carta terribly slow.
I know. They will ship Max 1 with 4.0.4 until they will have new ereader with new hardware.

I think they must be crazy to introduce 10.3" Boox Note and Boox Typewriter with same old hardware and 4.0.4 Android. In late 2017? They should wake up.
fgdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 02:51 PM   #242
hmesker
hmesker began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max Carta; new Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by fgdas View Post
I know. They will ship Max 1 with 4.0.4 until they will have new ereader with new hardware.

I think they must be crazy to introduce 10.3" Boox Note and Boox Typewriter with same old hardware and 4.0.4 Android. In late 2017? They should wake up.
Ah well, the product works fine, it does what it is supposed to do. I'm not sure what the benefits of 4.4 would be for me. For me it's an advanced ereader and nothing else :-)
hmesker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2017, 04:43 AM   #243
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Ah well, the product works fine, it does what it is supposed to do. I'm not sure what the benefits of 4.4 would be for me. For me it's an advanced ereader and nothing else :-)
The benefit would be that you could install many apps which you can't currently install, because they require Android 4.4. One example is the Kindle App.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:18 AM   #244
hmesker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The benefit would be that you could install many apps which you can't currently install, because they require Android 4.4. One example is the Kindle App.
I see. But you can read Kindle books with the standard apps that come with the tablet, right? I can understand that an Android upgrade would be useful for those who want to do more with the ereader than just read books and pdfs. Personally I don't need that - yet. I am happy with the very large format that enable my bad eyes to finally read pdfs in a comfortable way. Although I must confess that I am also curious about this large ereader that www.goodereader.com is plugging so often in their Youtube videos.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:44 AM   #245
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
I see. But you can read Kindle books with the standard apps that come with the tablet, right?
No you cannot. Kindle books has a proprietary format that required the Kindle app to open and display. Also, most epub readers don't perform well under Android 4.0

Onyx hit a major foul ball with that decision, and I say that as an owner.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-17-2017, 06:50 AM   #246
hmesker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
No you cannot. Kindle books has a proprietary format that required the Kindle app to open and display. Also, most epub readers don't perform well under Android 4.0
Thanks, I didn't know that. It will not affect me as I don't expect to read Kindle books, and if I would I think I would be able to convert them to epub. But I understand your point. I'm happy with my Max Carta but I have low demands when it comes to these things
Old 08-17-2017, 07:06 AM   #247
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
So did I, hence why I'm holding on to mine. But I've had to jump through a lot of good to get it to perform the way I need it to.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:10 AM   #248
hmesker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
So did I, hence why I'm holding on to mine. But I've had to jump through a lot of good to get it to perform the way I need it to.
Your tips and suggestions (unless already mentioned elsewhere on the forum) would be appreciated.
Old 08-17-2017, 11:24 AM   #249
bsnick
Zealot
bsnick began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M96+, T68+, Max2, YP2, HiSense A2 Pro
There are ways to remove the DRM from kindle books. I won't say how since I'm not sure of the site's stance on it.
bsnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 10:23 AM   #250
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsnick View Post
There are ways to remove the DRM from kindle books. I won't say how since I'm not sure of the site's stance on it.
Hello,

Look at here : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=253119

Best regards.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 06:27 AM   #251
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Answer from Onyx support

Quote:
Hello, X.

I do not think that it may happen earlier than in the beginning of the next year. But nevertheless we do our best to make this release as soon as possible.

22.08.2017 17:22, xxx пишет:
> Hi,
>
> I am a great fan of your E-Book Reader. I own especially the Onyx Boox Max.
>
> As the processor of this device is not very fast I was wondering if you will release an "Onyx Boox Max 2" with a quad core processor. Sony did it it with it's second Sony DPT R1.
>
> If yes, when will be the release?
>
> Greetings and thanks,
So probably a quad core device.

Last edited by joblack; 10-16-2017 at 12:44 PM.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:04 AM   #252
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
So probably a quad core device.
Very hopefully, it is missed.
Already a dual core with graphics acceleration would be something...
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 07:34 AM   #253
Dutchbook
Zealot
Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dutchbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: DPT-RP1
Do companies like Onyx and Kobo just order their devices from manufacturers and stamp their own logo on it, or do they have something to say about the specs?

I'm really amazed that these companies have been stuck in 2012 for such a long time now.

For a couple of dollars per device more, they would have a device that actually worked
Dutchbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 09:08 AM   #254
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchbook View Post
For a couple of dollars per device more, they would have a device that actually worked
Onyx devices work. We want more - there is an eager market for more. But as readers, they do their job (and, provenly, not only as readers).

Better specs for a few extra dollars: yes, it was noted. So, vis-a-vis the available material on power consumption of systems-on-a-chip, what do you propose that on the other side will not make users miss the efficiency of the i.MX 6SoloLite? I wanted to take a better look at the LITTLEbig technology - have you already checked?

TL;DR: not that easy.

Last edited by mdp; 08-25-2017 at 09:17 AM.
Old 08-26-2017, 04:04 AM   #255
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Better specs for a few extra dollars: yes, it was noted. So, vis-a-vis the available material on power consumption of systems-on-a-chip, what do you propose that on the other side will not make users miss the efficiency of the i.MX 6SoloLite? I wanted to take a better look at the LITTLEbig technology - have you already checked?

TL;DR: not that easy.
I was out of home: less resources. Now: the NXP/Freescale official documents are called "Application Notes". You can check documents like: AN4509, AN4576, AN4580 etc.