Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-31-2010, 11:26 AM   #46
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
If Sony didn't release a new exciting model by end of the year if think they are out of e-reader business.

(I believe) Amazon will release the Kindle DX Graphite with the new screen and new feature (unfortunately no ePub) and sell it international.
Other companies will follow with exciting new devices.

Sony ?
No new/better features for ages. You need to install 3rd party firmware to get new features.
No new/better hardware anytime soon.

So what about quality Sony ?

All PRS models are fine devices...a few years ago.

When K3 was announced i was excited about the new screen and the better software. Only the missing ePub support and the fact that i don't need a 3rd device kept me from pre-ordering. But a KDX3 may shift my mind and i'm not a quick buyer...
What are you talking about. You guys are brainwashed. Sony has released a new model every year since 2006 (2009 - 3 models). Way more than any other e-book manufacturer. They have also giving the biggest software updates, DRM ePub & PDF usage in 2008 at the time with their proprietary LRX format. Not text to speech and Collection usage like Amazon (which Sony should have branded the name to make sure that Amazon could not use it). Also I've been able to make Collections since buying my PRS-505 in Dec of 2007. The biggest software updates Amazon gave is PDF (and only non-drm cripple PDF). Now they want to add annotation, highlighting, dictionary lookup as new PDF functions for the Kindle which Sony Readers have had the whole time. Yes, these things are new, only to the Kindle.

PRS-500 - Oct 2006
PRS-505 - Oct 2007
PRS-700 - Oct 2008
PRS-300 & PRS-600 - July 2009
PRS-900 - December 2009

By the way I think the PRS-900 is a way better value than the $189 kindle or $199 Nook (you are getting a great deal more an extra $50 or $60). Plus there is nothing wrong with the screen. By the way once you go touchscreen, you'll never go back. I can not imagine having a cell phone now that's not touchscreen and the same thing can now be said for my ebook readers.

Last edited by Lilly; 07-31-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:28 AM   #47
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
I'm just a few clicks away from buying a KDX but i'll wait and see if the software update will be available for the KDX too.
Actually that's been confirmed already somewhere in a parallel thread. Let me see if I can digg it up.

ETA: Jup, there it is: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92525
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 11:33 AM   #48
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
What are you talking about. You guys are brainwashed.
Why not take it down a notch, or three? Let's keep this discussions civil, shall we?

Quote:
Sony has released a new model every year since 2006 (2009 - 3 models).
Let's put it that way: they're not currently up to standards, and neither are their prices. But it's cool, whatever floats your boat.
Old 07-31-2010, 11:35 AM   #49
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Please be civil and respect the views of others, no matter how much you may disagree with them !
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:38 AM   #50
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
Why not take it down a notch, or three? Let's keep this discussions civil, shall we?

Let's put it that way: they're not currently up to standards, and neither are their prices. But it's cool, whatever floats your boat.

Where was I uncivil?
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-31-2010, 11:45 AM   #51
jcatl
Enthusiast
jcatl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-900
Quote:
Plus there is nothing wrong with the screen. By the way once you go touchscreen, you'll never go back. I can not imagine having a cell phone now that's not touchscreen and the same thing can now be said for my ebook readers.
Wow, I couldn't disagree more. The PRS-900 is the only reader I've ever owned. I almost returned it right when I bought it due to the screen, and now months later I seriously regret that I did not as what I paid for it at the time $399 is now $249 at Best Buy (wonder why?), and rather than growing on me the screen bothers me more now than ever. Until the touchscreen technology does not impair the reading experience, I'm done with it. It just compromises the primary function of the device, IMO.

I don't care so much about Sony's horrible online bookstore and higher prices, or lack of firmware updates, but I do care about the struggle for "perfect" lighting to read by. I have a Mighty Bright and that helps but I have to use it in situations where the average e-Ink display would be just fine (just like a real book).

I imagine that very soon the average consumer will get to check out the Sony touchscreen readers sitting next to the new Kindle with pearl display that costs $100 less at Best Buy and other brick and mortar stores. Which one will they choose? What in the world would make them pick the Sony?

As for comparing to a cellphone, apples and oranges as the touch function of a cellphone (or in the case of my iPhone) has no impact on the clarity of the screen.
jcatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:03 PM   #52
rogue_librarian
Guru

Quote:
Where was I uncivil?
Right there where you called people not agreeing with you "brainwashed".
Old 07-31-2010, 01:06 PM   #53
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
That might be true for the American market (not sure even there, but I wouldn't know), but it's not for the rest of the world.

Here in Europe such tentative steps as booksellers have taken it's all been epub. I'm speaking of the German market, mainly, but surely that's the case in Spain, too? Some people have made a serious investment in that file format, for them a Kindle is just not an option unless it supports it. The whole public library thing (epub only) has already been mentioned.
Well, how can I say you? Yes, in Spain the "future" publisher platform (it doesn't work yet) will be in ePub. Sorry, I had forgotten it for three reasons: I only buy American ebook, it doesn't work yet and... well... I already have to see if it's going to sell a lot.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 01:16 PM   #54
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Plus there is nothing wrong with the screen. By the way once you go touchscreen, you'll never go back.
It depends on your definition of "nothing wrong", I guess. In European and UK bookstores, airport stores and electronics shops you often see the Sony readers on point of sale display. They put the PRS-600 right next to the PRS-300. It is very obvious that the text is clearer on the smaller PRS-300.

The PRS-600 screen has more glare, and the text seems to have a slight ghosted double effect making it paler and fuzzier to my eyes.

The PRS-300 screen is excellent.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:33 PM   #55
sriram
Nameless Being

What's the point harping about build quality when the Sony Connect software SUCKS big time? It was primitive to start with and every new release seems to take it back 500 years at least! The latest update wiped out most of my e-books and re-syncing is a logistical nightmare. I have the 505 but am tempted towards the Nook (wifi + epub support)
Old 07-31-2010, 06:54 PM   #56
mikij
Connoisseur
mikij doesn't littermikij doesn't litter

Device: PRS-600
Sony has always had the excellent hardware and the rotten software. I already forgot the name of the crap of application that came with their MP3 player (6 GB, great case, decent screen, excellent sound). And when I saw the Reader Library, I said to me: Jeez, the same sh*t as the other one.
They had good business decisions, they had the wrong ones, too.

I think and hope they'll continue to develop the new and better readers because my PRS-600 is a great piece of hardware that seamlessly works with Calibre.

I agree with Lilly that "once you go touchscreen, you'll never go back".

Last edited by mikij; 07-31-2010 at 06:56 PM.
mikij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:58 PM   #57
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
My experience with Sony's library program biases me completely against them. Everything which could have no sense in a library has no sense indeed. Especially transferring files to my mother's PRS-700.

I think that was the day when I understood the importance of filesystem control by the user.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 07:06 PM   #58
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Where was I uncivil?
You were not and I understand your point. Gosh, there is some very thin skin here.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 05:58 AM   #59
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Actually, the PS3 is doing fairly well. It currently is in third place for hardware sales world wide, but it is only 5 million units behind the 360. Considering the 360 was released a full year before the PS3, 5 million isn't really that much. Also when you consider with the recent redesign, the PS3 has cut costs enough to be profitable despite cutting so much off the price tag. 2010 has been a banner year for the PS3.
Third haha. There are only 3 game platforms on the market. Look at the amount of games for the wii and xbox and compare that to the amount of games form the ps3 and that is all that needs to be said. The ps3 is awesome hardware, but they are losing the consumer war. The same story every time with Sony - awesome hardware, consumers lose interest
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 06:05 AM   #60
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblover View Post
So-Davidspitzer-what is your gripe about Sony...price, programming...what? It seems that Sony can use more files in more formats, than anyone else. Have you had specific problems with downloading, or something? Why be vague?
I don't know that's the problem. They always have really nice hardware but always seem to miss the mark with consumers. It does not matter how great your hardware is if people buy your competitors gear.

You ask the average consumer, who knows about ebooks, what brand of ebook reader would they buy and 90% would say Kindle or Ipad. Sony just can not market to the hearts of consumers for some reason it is and continues to be their downfall
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote