Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 03:43 PM   #1
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Kindle 2 Price Drops to $189.00

Thought this deserved it's own news thread, rather than being buried in the Nook price drop thread.

http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Wireles...pf_rd_i=507846
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 03:48 PM   #2
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Thats awesome

I hope they release a $99 5 inch with wifi only - that would be a great compliment to people with an Ipad who want to have a pocket reader, but also share their investment across multiple platforms. Reading on my Cell phone is OK but at the right price point I could see scores of new Ipad buyers picking up a cheap kindle for dedicated reading sessions when they dont want to lug the ipad around
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yep, I definitely want a tablet and would use it for most of my reading needs (which are mostly work related and not suited to e-ink devices), but would probably like to keep a 5-6" dedicated reader around for reading novels in bed etc.

So I definitely think there's a place for cheap, dedicated reader devices along side the coming onslaught of tablets. As well as the only device for avid readers who just want to read on a paper-like screen of course.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:17 PM   #4
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Yep, I definitely want a tablet and would use it for most of my reading needs (which are mostly work related and not suited to e-ink devices), but would probably like to keep a 5-6" dedicated reader around for reading novels in bed etc.

So I definitely think there's a place for cheap, dedicated reader devices along side the coming onslaught of tablets. As well as the only device for avid readers who just want to read on a paper-like screen of course.
I want a device that is both backlit AND with the amazing battery life of e-ink. Since there isn't one, I'm now seriously thinking about augmenting my Asus T91 MT with a wifi nook, for longer trips.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:24 PM   #5
dmaul1114
Wizard

True, but for me it's I really want a tablet PC type device and not just a reader/media consumption (iPad like) device, so I know we're probably decades away from getting long battery life in those.

I don't care that much about battery life honestly, if the tablet can get the 10 hours the iPad does, that's good enough for me as I can plug it in every night or two and be good to go.

It would just be nice I think to keep a 5-6" device around that's more comfortable to read laying in bed etc. That said, I have read on my girlfriends iPad in bed and not been bothered by it much at all. So I could well end up going with a tablet pc device as my only e-reader. But I'd have to get one and use it for a couple months and see how it worked as my only reading device before deciding for sure.
Advert
Old 06-21-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Man, I love a good price war!
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:31 PM   #7
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
True, but for me it's I really want a tablet PC type device and not just a reader/media consumption (iPad like) device, so I know we're probably decades away from getting long battery life in those.

I don't care that much about battery life honestly, if the tablet can get the 10 hours the iPad does, that's good enough for me as I can plug it in every night or two and be good to go.

It would just be nice I think to keep a 5-6" device around that's more comfortable to read laying in bed etc. That said, I have read on my girlfriends iPad in bed and not been bothered by it much at all. So I could well end up going with a tablet pc device as my only e-reader. But I'd have to get one and use it for a couple months and see how it worked as my only reading device before deciding for sure.
The Asus T91 MT I have (in tablet configuration) is great for reading in bed. No external light needed, and the backlit screen goes WAY down, so your eyes don't hurt. I want (another) e-ink device for traveling when there's no electrical outlets handy. We just did a 14 hour round trip to Kansas and back to pick up my son for the summer and it was way too long for the Asus's battery...and I don't have a car charger for it. There's also a slight chance I'll be taking a loooong train ride in the not too distant future, so I'd like a longer life battery for that, too.

ETA: For those who looked at the "device" on my profile and wonder why I didn't use the BlackBerry for reading on the trip? I found that I can't read comfortably on the smaller screen while in a moving vehicle.

Last edited by phenomshel; 06-21-2010 at 04:44 PM. Reason: to add a point
Old 06-21-2010, 04:36 PM   #8
dmaul1114
Wizard

Yeah the ASUS seems good for what it is.

But I want a slate with no keyboard attached and the 8.9" screen is too small. Even the 9.7" screen on the iPad is too small for reading letter sized PDFs--especially 2 or 3 column documents. 5 hour battery life is too little for me as well.

So I'll be in the waiting game for a while to get what I need since 12" or so screens with 8-10 hour battery life are probably at least a couple years away!
Old 06-21-2010, 04:42 PM   #9
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Quote:
Yeah the ASUS seems good for what it is.

But I want a slate with no keyboard attached and the 8.9" screen is too small. Even the 9.7" screen on the iPad is too small for reading letter sized PDFs--especially 2 or 3 column documents. 5 hour battery life is too little for me as well.

So I'll be in the waiting game for a while to get what I need since 12" or so screens with 8-10 hour battery life are probably at least a couple years away!
Right, yeah, I remember your wishlist well . And you are correct, the 8.9 inch screen on the Asus is too small for what you're wanting. I do like having the keyboard available when I need it, though - but if you do get a slate like you want, you could always hook up a usb or bluetooth kb if you found you needed one.
Old 06-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #10
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
I was thinking of selling my kindle, but now it's not worth it.
Zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:45 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Hey! I just realized:
Kindle 2 is $189.
Kindle DX is $489. Still.

I'm thinking something's not right there.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 04:48 PM   #12
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
I do like having the keyboard available when I need it, though - but if you do get a slate like you want, you could always hook up a usb or bluetooth kb if you found you needed one.
Yep, that's my plan. Plus I'll always have a laptop, so a slate would just be supplementing it as a reader/document mark up tool, and for some light web browsing and e-mail checking etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Hey! I just realized:
Kindle 2 is $189.
Kindle DX is $489. Still.

I'm thinking something's not right there.
Only thing I can think of is the larger e-ink screens must cost more and/or they know it's a tiny niche, can't compete with the iPad and other tablets in the mainstream etc. so they just leave it high priced for the niche of people who want a big screen e-ink device.

It's still quite a bit cheaper than the rumored prices of the Que, or the big screen iRex devices etc. so they really don't have much pressure to drop price. No one who wants an iPad or other tablet would buy a DX instead even if it was $299 or something. And they're still under price the other 9.7"
or close big screen e-ink devices.
Old 06-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #13
RyanMWilliams
Author
RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook WiFi
Well, I'm glad that I've held off at this point. Isn't there supposed to be a new thinner, lighter version of the Kindle coming out? I wonder what that'll be priced at? I think I'll wait a little longer before making up my mind.
RyanMWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:26 PM   #14
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanMWilliams View Post
Well, I'm glad that I've held off at this point. Isn't there supposed to be a new thinner, lighter version of the Kindle coming out? I wonder what that'll be priced at? I think I'll wait a little longer before making up my mind.
My guess is we'll see a WiFi only version at $149 (to match the Nook) and the 3g version at $189 replacing the Kindle 2.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:12 PM   #15
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
im excited
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote