Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-12-2009, 12:16 AM   #16
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I'd be interested in seeing the profit splits for the average e-book.

The publisher cost is probably pretty high and Amazon is super keen to keep the kindle ebooks cheap so the kindle sells well. That means super low profit margins and to keep the ebooks sales continuing they had to cut the affiliates?
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:14 AM   #17
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is it? If, as reported, Amazon actually make a loss on "best sellers", do they actually want to sell them? The more they sell, the more they lose...
True. At the very least they don't want to increase the loss.

Another thing that strikes me is that if authors on average make about $0.80 per book sold which I recently read from a poster on this site, it would be rather galling if folks were getting more than the actual author of the book for merely linking to it on a website. I doubt this factored into Amazon's decision, but it would bother me nonetheless. If the program were still in place, I would encourage any author to join the affiliate program and double their royalty.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-12-2009, 02:31 AM   #18
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I don't know if the big publishers have cut a better deal, but for anyone else, Amazon takes 65% of the list price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
I'd be interested in seeing the profit splits for the average e-book.

The publisher cost is probably pretty high and Amazon is super keen to keep the kindle ebooks cheap so the kindle sells well. That means super low profit margins and to keep the ebooks sales continuing they had to cut the affiliates?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 03:23 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
I don't know if the big publishers have cut a better deal, but for anyone else, Amazon takes 65% of the list price.
That's for "personal" publishing. The big publishers unquestionable get a much better deal than that.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 08:19 AM   #20
cowgirl73
cowgirl73 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thanks for confirming this was the case. I just stopped getting paid for the Kindle books and read the terms this morning. I did not see any notice to the change either. Oh, well maybe it is time to work on a new website.

eRead World is my blog
cowgirl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2009, 08:32 AM   #21
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
By the way ... although Kindle books now get a zero percentage commission, I wonder if they still contribute to the monthly payment thresholds. In other words, if you "sell" a Kindle book in a given month, will that help you reach the next percentage step for that month?

The reason I ask is that I have "sold" two Kindle books this month, and the "Total items shipped" figure in my monthly report includes those two books. Just a thought.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 03:32 PM   #22
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
So far, yes they count. However, they can stop at any time (and go back and recalculate your earnings up to two months prior - I lost two months of referral fees when this hit).

Karen
http://booksontheknob.blogspot.com/
koland is offline   Reply With Quote