Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-26-2009, 07:17 PM   #16
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbFabGab View Post
What drives me crazy is the libraries that offer non-resident cards and some even have online sign up BUT you have to physically go into library to either activate card or get permanent card.
Yeah, that is a pain. I'm terribly organized (it's a curse, honestly) so I coordinate business trips with library card visits.

Last edited by doreenjoy; 03-26-2009 at 07:21 PM.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:16 PM   #17
Knitnpurl
Knitnpurl is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505 (red), Sony PRS-300 (silver)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I just got the email notification that FOUR of my library books on hold are ready for me. I have two days to pick them up. I have 10 books (the max) checked out already. So, I return 4 of them (through ade), download the 4 new ones and I'm good to go. I just have to remember NOT to hook up my reader to my computer until I've finished the 4 I already returned. It's the spinnerooo game. Who else plays that?

I discovered, with joy, that even if a book is "expired" (I've had it more than the three weeks), I can still finish it as long as I turned off the reader while I was in it. As soon as I back out of it, I can't get into it anymore. I was happy to find that trick.

Who else uses the library most of all right now?

The public library where I live (Phoenix) is my primary source of ebooks, and I have wondered if those tricks would actually work or not, so thank you for sharing!
Knitnpurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2009, 09:52 PM   #18
Mr. Dalliard
Zealot
Mr. Dalliard began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
What a ridiculous concept: treating e-books the same as p-books - including limiting the number of copies of a particular book that can be borrowed at any one time.

Unbelievable!
Mr. Dalliard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:41 PM   #19
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dalliard View Post
What a ridiculous concept: treating e-books the same as p-books - including limiting the number of copies of a particular book that can be borrowed at any one time.

Unbelievable!
Well it's not the libraries' fault. They are limited by their agreements with publishers to having only a certain number of copies "in circulation."
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:53 PM   #20
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
My library sucks. It doesn't (and neither does the extended network of libraries it is part of) ever have anything I'm wanting.

Even the university library is pretty lacking (in stuff it should have.) Had to order 3 books today for a paper because it didn't carry them and couldn't get the books from elsewhere fast enough.
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2009, 12:56 AM   #21
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
What drives me crazy is the libraries that offer non-resident cards and some even have online sign up BUT you have to physically go into library to either activate card or get permanent card. I wouldn't mind paying the non-res fee for a few libraries just to check out ebooks...

So far NYPL is only one that allows online sign up and you don't have to go in.
If anyone finds any others that you don't have to go in, let us know!!
AbFabGab--
The Salt Lake County library offers non-resident library cards for $80/year. I haven't signed up for one yet, but I did e-mail them a month ago or so to find out more. They responded to me saying that I could send in a check and a copy of my driver's license and they'd mail me a card (same as NYPL does). You might want to e-mail them to verify.

They do have a fairly decent collection, but it's not as large as NYPL.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:59 AM   #22
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
AbFabGab--
The Salt Lake County library offers non-resident library cards for $80/year. I haven't signed up for one yet, but I did e-mail them a month ago or so to find out more. They responded to me saying that I could send in a check and a copy of my driver's license and they'd mail me a card (same as NYPL does). You might want to e-mail them to verify.

They do have a fairly decent collection, but it's not as large as NYPL.

dordale
oh my, thanks for the tip!
I have to check this out!!

what state?
or do you have library link?
Thanks.

Last edited by AbFabGab; 03-27-2009 at 08:04 AM. Reason: added question
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:26 PM   #23
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Here's the link for SLC's overdrive collection:

http://slco.lib.overdrive.com/0A31B6...en/Default.htm

And here's the link for their main library page.

http://www.slcolibrary.org/

If you do apply for a card, post back and let us know how it works!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:44 PM   #24
joobies
Addict
joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 1, Sony PRS-505
I am guessing that the folks that use the public library resources for their ebooks... do NOT have Kindles. I tried it and everything was locked. Librarian told me that the Kindle would not work with their books. Perhaps, soon.
joobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:03 PM   #25
kelly1010
Book Addict!
kelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheesekelly1010 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPod Touch, Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi
Hi Joobies....this is why I chose not to get the Kindle. Because I knew my library had free ebooks and the Kindle seems very restricted in what you can put on it. I have heard, though, that somehow you can convert files and be able to put them on the Kindle, but that seemed really complicated and unnecessary to me, so I got the Sony instead.

Kelly
kelly1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 06:48 PM   #26
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I must admit, I'm very relieved to find many like-minded people!

I use the Hawai'i public library, btw. I have seriously considered spending money to join another library to get ebooks. I think our collection is certainly better than I expected and I do have a lot of books on my "wishlist" waiting to be checked out, but it seems that so many books I want are wma overdrive instead. What's UP with that???

I actually used directions in another post to set up ADE on another computer and now I wonder.... can I return the books on the other computer and then check out 10 new books on *this* computer and hook up my reader to this computer only and then get all 20?? I might try it just for the heck of it someday, just to see, but I really don't need 20 books at once from the library. I can only read 4 or 5 at a time anyway right? I'm really not greedy. My eyes are just bigger than my reading capacity....

Last edited by GraceKrispy; 03-29-2009 at 07:51 PM.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:19 PM   #27
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I must admit, I'm very relieved to find many like-minded people!

I use the Hawai'i public library, btw. I have seriously considered spending money to join another library to get ebooks. I think our collection is certainly better than I expected and I do have a lot of books on my "wishlist" waiting to be checked out, but it seems that so many books I want are wma overdrive instead. What's UP with that???

I actually used directions in another post to set up ADE on another computer and now I wonder.... can I return the books on the other computer and then check out 10 new books on *this* computer and hook up my reader to this computer only and then get all 20?? I might try it just for the heck of it someday, just to see, but I really don't need 20 books at once from the library. I can only read 4 or 5 at a time anyway right? I'm really not greedy. My eyes are just bigger than my reading capacity....
The number of books you check out is a function of how many your library allows you to have on your account at one time, not on a given computer. If the ebooks are downloaded into digital editions, however, you can return them early and they will come off you library account within minutes. You might not want to return all ten books at the same time, however as one of our mobile read members got a hold put on her account by doing this several times in a short time period. A more reasonable suggestion to "stay under the radar" would be to return one or two books per day.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:28 PM   #28
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
What drives me crazy is the libraries that offer non-resident cards and some even have online sign up BUT you have to physically go into library to either activate card or get permanent card. I wouldn't mind paying the non-res fee for a few libraries just to check out ebooks...
I just signed up in the DC PL on line and, since I live just across the Potomac, I drove over yesterday and got my permanent card. Now I have two libraries (Fairfax and DC) for eBooks. Life is good!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:24 PM   #29
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
I am guessing that the folks that use the public library resources for their ebooks... do NOT have Kindles. I tried it and everything was locked. Librarian told me that the Kindle would not work with their books. Perhaps, soon.
Many of us using Public Libraries do, in fact have Kindles. That is why we were so distressed with the Amazon edict that Mobile Read take down the visual wiki's that were created so that others could learn the steps for getting the library ebooks on their Kindles. It can, in fact be done. The key is obtaining your Kindle's PID. If it's something that you want to learn about, suggest that you search Mobile Read and the web for the steps/tools needed.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote