Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 06-27-2009, 09:40 AM   #16
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thierry View Post
Hi guys,
I am looking for a way to create a dictionary in the sony prs 700. Any help?
Thanks so much
nate the great has started researching how to implement an indexed dictionary format in epub, you can take a look at his thread here. there is also a poll and discussion about epub dictionaries here.

i think it is brilliant how many people are interested in working on solutions for dictionary lookup in epub ; i consider it to be a vital feature in any digital reader and i really am surprised that it hasns't been added yet.

please let us know how you get on, and don't hesitate to participate in the discussions !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 11:32 PM   #17
komugi
Zealot
komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.komugi has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Surface Pro 3, HTC 10, Kobo Aura H2O
How likely is it that they will put out a new firmware for PRS-700 which includes Dictionary support?
komugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2009, 10:27 AM   #18
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Several sources said Sony will release a firmware update for 700. Whether it will have the dictionary is anyone's guess.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:32 AM   #19
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Several sources said Sony will release a firmware update for 700. Whether it will have the dictionary is anyone's guess.
What *other* firmware upgrades are even needed?

Question: Is the touch screen on the PRS-700 sensitive enough to permit hand written notations in a firmware release, as is proposed for the PRS-600?

WetDogEared
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 06:56 PM   #20
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by thibaulthalpern View Post
What would be lovely would be having the Oxford English Dictionary in eBook format. For those who don't know, the OED is the most complete dictionary for the English language. It's a descriptive dictionary as opposed to prescriptive. It spans multiple book volumes (20 plus volumes).
"Oh wouldn't it be loverly; loverly..."
Treven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2009, 02:23 AM   #21
Despote
Despote began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
And the FRENCH dictionary, zelda ?
Despote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 03:38 PM   #22
Treven
Addict
Treven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enoughTreven will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
Sony has not yet added integrated dictionary lookup support to its readers (and with the search function of the 700 it seems a glaring oversight, to say the least) but while we are waiting for them to get a clue we can still make our own dictionaries.

As an example, i give you nrapallo's Webster's 1913 dictionary in epub format. It has a fully hyperlinked multi-level toc / index to help you get close to the word you're looking for, and from there you can use the search feature. it works really well. and it's free.

i'm sure we would all be really happy to see epub versions of other dictionaries if some ambitious soul takes on the project. i'm currently working on a french dictionary but it's going to take me a while...

since this seems to be a popular query around here, on wetdogeared's suggestion i'm making this a sticky.

500 / 505 owners looking for dictionaries, also take a look at this thread.
What's used to open this file. I'm using Vista Home Premium & Office 2007. I've unzipped it & the dictionary is an .rb file and I can't find anything to open it.

Help is always appreciated.
Old 09-07-2009, 04:00 PM   #23
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treven View Post
What's used to open this file. I'm using Vista Home Premium & Office 2007. I've unzipped it & the dictionary is an .rb file and I can't find anything to open it.

Help is always appreciated.
If you only need the dictionary in ePub format, just download the ePub file labeled Websters Dictionary 1913_ver21.epub (12.54 MB, 118 views) and you will be able to open it with ADE or the eBook library.

WDE.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 04:52 PM   #24
kaas
Muncher of ebooks
kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.kaas got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Pocketbook 360
You can also check: http://xdxf.revdanica.com/down/index.php where I found three hundred and nine -legal, I believe- dictionary files...

cheers,
kaas
kaas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 06:09 PM   #25
Treven
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
If you only need the dictionary in ePub format, just download the ePub file labeled Websters Dictionary 1913_ver21.epub (12.54 MB, 118 views) and you will be able to open it with ADE or the eBook library.

WDE.
Done did; it works fine now. I simply copied it to the hard drive that is the actual 700 reader, and it shows up as a book like any other. I just have all the books on a memory chip in the reader.
Thanks very much.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:31 PM   #26
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Sony! Where oh where is my integrated dictionary?!
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 08:45 PM   #27
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolRaven View Post
Sony! Where oh where is my integrated dictionary?!
In your PRS-600.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 11:56 PM   #28
SolRaven
Wizard
SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SolRaven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara, Voyage, Oasis, Paperwhite & PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In your PRS-600.
Arrrggghhhh....
SolRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:32 PM   #29
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
I just saw the Touch 600 in person at a Staples near me. It was working, but so locked down that you couldn't really get a feel for its size or get at the stylus. But I just pulled the stylus out of my 700 and played with it to my heart's content.

Now, I just want to know, is there going to be a dictionary update for the 700 or not! I'm getting impatient and I so enjoyed this feature on the 600 I tried out.

Is there any news about this, that I somehow missed? The clarity is better on the 600, but I have no trouble reading on my 700. I just want an integrated dictionary. And I want it now!

I apologize for my temporary loss of control. I'm normally a very patient person, MR... and Sony people (if you can read this), for the price we paid for the 700 you should be able to indulge your customers, by giving us what we want! Phew! Glad I got that off my chest.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:38 PM   #30
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
You tell 'em rebarnmom!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, epub, sony 700