Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-16-2010, 08:35 AM   #16
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Hey guys, I'm proud of you for broadening your reading interests. That is one grand benefit of e-reading and the ease of access to many different genre of books.

Remember, Shakespeare's plays were meant to be enjoyed by the masses. They were not snooty. So my advice is to skim through the footnotes to familiarize yourself with the history or myth the play is based upon. Then sit back and read it. If you don't understand every line, just skip it and keep going.

The point is to be entertained, not become a Shakespeare scholar on your first reading.

Happy reading!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:55 AM   #17
adityadubey
Addict
adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.adityadubey is considered a powerful good luck charm in most of the civilised world.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
If you don't understand every line, just skip it and keep going.

The point is to be entertained, not become a Shakespeare scholar on your first reading.
I couldn't agree more! I think Shakespeare's work has acquired this aura of being tough reading which scares off many people. Going with the flow and just ploughing on with it you can enjoy the lyrical beauty if nothing else I remember reading a Midsummer Night's Dream and enjoying it thoroughly although I'm sure I completely missed out on plenty of subtleties.
adityadubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2010, 04:04 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by adityadubey View Post
I couldn't agree more! I think Shakespeare's work has acquired this aura of being tough reading which scares off many people. Going with the flow and just ploughing on with it you can enjoy the lyrical beauty if nothing else I remember reading a Midsummer Night's Dream and enjoying it thoroughly although I'm sure I completely missed out on plenty of subtleties.
I think it's pretty essential to have a version with footnotes, since a great deal of the language and allusions won't otherwise be understandable to the typical modern reader.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:06 AM   #19
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
***Thanks for sending Shakespeare's Will, Neil!***

You're more than welcome, Moe et al. If anyone else would like to take a look pre-release (Nov 28 is release date), please just email me your format preference and I'll be happy to send the ebook version as an attachment. It's a lot of fun -- and chock-full of surprising historical detail. Cheers. Neil -- ntmarr@bewrite.net (but use the @ sign)
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:15 AM   #20
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Cheers. Neil -- ... (but use the @ sign)
Oh oh, you already did use the @ sign, Neil! Beware of spambots!
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2010, 09:41 AM   #21
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think it's pretty essential to have a version with footnotes, since a great deal of the language and allusions won't otherwise be understandable to the typical modern reader.
So, do you know of any e-book versions that have at least SOME footnotes? I don't need a whole debate about whether Shakespeare used "nunnery" in the religious or very non-religious sense, but it was nice to know when I was reading along in high school that "nunnery" could mean "brothel" as well as "convent" in that period of time.

I understand that Shakespeare wrote for entertainment for the masses, but I'm a Twenty-first century American and I just don't "get" some of the references. I'm sure Shakespeare wouldn't get phrases like "Master of my Domain" or "shrinkage" since he hasn't seen Seinfeld, either.
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:31 AM   #22
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

***Oh oh, you already did use the @ sign, Neil! Beware of spambots! ***

Everyone loves a smart cat, Moe. Thanks for noticing. I get hundreds of spams a day (sometimes hundreds an hour), so I'm careful when pos ... but I'm very, very old and very, very busy, so I do drop some terrible bollox from time to time. This slip counts as one of my minor sins. Hoots. Neil
Old 11-18-2010, 01:10 PM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegl027 View Post
So, do you know of any e-book versions that have at least SOME footnotes? I don't need a whole debate about whether Shakespeare used "nunnery" in the religious or very non-religious sense, but it was nice to know when I was reading along in high school that "nunnery" could mean "brothel" as well as "convent" in that period of time.
Do Penguin Classics do Shakespeare? Their eBooks are generally pretty good, with lots of notes and other explanatory text.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:14 AM   #24
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
Time to confess my guilty little secret -- I've never read Shakespeare :-) Over the years, I have watched several film adaptations and enjoyed most of them. I particularly liked Kevin Branagh's "Henry V".
Another excellent movie is Ian McKellan's Richard III. Details here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard...281995_film%29

Also, Kenneth Branagh's Much Ado About Nothing is an absolutely delightful film.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:27 AM   #25
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
I went ahead and purchased "Shakespeare After All". I'll let you know what I think of it.
So far, I like "Shakespeare After All". It delves into the characters and their motives, as well as providing background information and relationships to other Shakespeare plays. It does not appear overly analytical or academic (so far).

My comments are provisional, as after reading the lengthy introduction, I did not proceed to the first play chronologically, I jumped ahead to "Henry V".

The one thing this book does not provide is an annotated reading of the plays. This would have been helpful. Let me cite just one example from "Henry V", which is what I am currently reading. In the prologue, the Chorus says "Then should the warlike Harry, like himself, assume the port of Mars;". Now, obviously "port" is not meant in the nautical sense. So, I'm left to wonder how it is meant. I thought that perhaps "portrait" was close, as a similarity in character between King Harry and Mars (the Roman god of war) is intended, but that didn't quite fit.

After looking on Google Books, I found a 1901 volume titled "The Richard Mansfield Acting Version of Henry V", which explains it thus: "That is, deportment, carriage. From the French porte'e".

Such explainations of what may at first appear to be simple words add immeasurabley to my understanding. Many such words are no longer common (at least to this American) and a dictionary lookup often does not produce the meaning meant by Shakespeare.

Joe
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:33 AM   #26
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do Penguin Classics do Shakespeare? Their eBooks are generally pretty good, with lots of notes and other explanatory text.
It seems that Penguin does have most of Shakespeare. However, I don't see any evidence of ebooks.

Joe
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:41 AM   #27
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Lawrence Oliver's Hamlet made way back in 1948 is one of my favorites. It was one of the first video tape productions I believe. Long before home units were even conceived of. And still as fresh today as the day it was shot (IMO). And there was Orson Welles MacBeth as well which was well done I think. Not sure how many of the plays have ever been put on film or video but there have been a few good ones I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Another excellent movie is Ian McKellan's Richard III. Details here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard...281995_film%29

Also, Kenneth Branagh's Much Ado About Nothing is an absolutely delightful film.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 04:57 AM   #28
neilmarr
neilmarr

Even Mel Gibson took a run at Hamlet. Wasn't at all bad, either. Neil
Old 11-21-2010, 09:09 AM   #29
boydcarts
Connoisseur
boydcarts began at the beginning.

Device: Nook WiFi, iPad2
jgray- If you like Henry V, you should give both parts of Henry IV a try. It's interesting to see the change in Hal's character as the plays progress. Also, Falstaff is one of Shakespeare's better characters IMO.
boydcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:20 AM   #30
ctol
Groupie
ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ctol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Fire Tablet, Windows RT Tablet Windows Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegl027 View Post
I'm interested in being pointed toward some annotated versions of The Bard, too. Some of the language usages and historical references are just too obscure for me. I can figure out the gist from context, but I always appreciated the footnotes in the books that I recall from High School.
Try these

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/sear...ds&query=25743
ctol is offline   Reply With Quote