Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-14-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
Shakespeare

Time to confess my guilty little secret -- I've never read Shakespeare :-) Over the years, I have watched several film adaptations and enjoyed most of them. I particularly liked Kenneth Branagh's "Henry V".

I could just dive in head first and download one of the many PD copies of Shakespeare's works available online, but that seems overwhelming. Looking at the Sony store, I found a few possibilities.

A collection of Shakespeare that claims to be formatted for ease of use on an ereader. This costs, but may be better than a generic PD copy.

http://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/wil...00000000109556

Two modern works that purport to explain things a bit.

http://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/mar...00000000099909

http://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/mce...00000000069184

Does anyone have any comments on these ebooks? Would you recommend any others?

I'm looking for something that would be interesting and maybe even fun to read. I don't want some dessicated scholarly tome that will put me to sleep. The other consideration is cost. Either of the two books from the Sony store are probably at the limit of what I want to spend.

And please, don't recommend any "For Dummies" or "For Idiots" books. It may be my personal prejudice, but I find those series titles insulting and refuse to buy any of them.

Joe

Last edited by jgray; 11-21-2010 at 03:56 AM.
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 11:15 PM   #2
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I can't speak for specific editions, but as for content, I really enjoy Shakespeare. I have to admit, I did not much care for the histories (I never could keep the Henrys and Richards straight). But I enjoy the comedies, and some of the tragedies. From my school days, I can still recite all of Act 1, Scene 2 of Twelfth Night by heart My favourite comedies are A Midsummer Night's Dream, The Tempest, The Taming of the Shrew and Twelfth Night. My favourite tragedies are Othello, Hamlet and Romeo & Juliet.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Touch, Kindle DXG
I'm interested in being pointed toward some annotated versions of The Bard, too. Some of the language usages and historical references are just too obscure for me. I can figure out the gist from context, but I always appreciated the footnotes in the books that I recall from High School.
ziegl027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:04 PM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I'm something of a Shakespeare buff, but a dummy (that's dumby, by the way) compared to one of my authors, Meredith Whitford, who knows every word the Bard ever spoke or wrote -- and many that he didn't -- off by heart.

We're releasing a fictional account of Shakespeare's life and strange loves and intrigues and wotnot later this month called 'Shakespeare's Will' that I found a lot of fun because the historical fact is 100%, the speculation realistic, and the craftilly hidden puns and jokes on his works scattered through the text on almost every page tickled me pink.

Just for folks in this thread, if you want an ebook copy with our compliments, just email me with your preferred format and I'll be happy to send it along now -- a couple of weeks in advance of 'official' release.

Should you want a preview before asking for the ebook version, visit the bookstore section of our website (link below) and just click on the cover in the coming-soon section.

Cheers. Neil -- ntmarrATbewrite.net (but use the @ sign, of course)
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:03 PM   #5
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
I went ahead and purchased "Shakespeare After All". I'll let you know what I think of it.

BTW, Feedbooks has quite a bit of Shakespeare. Gutenberg and others also have Shakespeare for free, but I keep finding that Feedbooks does a better job formatting the epubs. Good job Hadrien (hope I spelled that right).

Joe
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-15-2010, 09:07 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Has anyone tried to download any of the many Shakespeare volumes from here?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:49 PM   #7
ziegl027
Addict
ziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-booksziegl027 has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Has anyone tried to download any of the many Shakespeare volumes from here?
Are there any that have good annotations? I kind of presumed they were largely "naked"--the Bard, the whole Bard, and nothing but the Bard. But I confess I haven't looked through all of them .
Old 11-15-2010, 09:53 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegl027 View Post
Are there any that have good annotations? I kind of presumed they were largely "naked"--the Bard, the whole Bard, and nothing but the Bard. But I confess I haven't looked through all of them .
I do not know....but there are so many to choose from.

And if none fit your requirements.....you just use the 'delete' botton!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:55 PM   #9
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziegl027 View Post
Yes, they're "naked". But, great for the price.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:54 PM   #10
ziegl027
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Yes, they're "naked". But, great for the price.
The thing is, there are those of us (me and the OP, at least) who would be willing to pay a bit of money to get some value-added stuff to make things more approachable. Is there a good source of that anywhere?
Old 11-16-2010, 01:26 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The best annotated Shakespeare is, IMHO, the Arden Shakespeare. I have the entire series as paper books; they aren't available as ebooks unfortunately.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:39 AM   #12
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I have a copy of the Oxford Shakespeare. Not easy to carry it around though (and not annotated). I bought it in july of 1989 so I could read the Bard's works at my leisure rather than having to hurry through a library book. Also got a 2 Vol. version of the plays later (for reading while on the go). Course an ebook version of the works is the best all around I think. At least as far as portability.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:22 AM   #13
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Everyone who asked for a copy of 'Shakespare's Will' should have it by now, apart from a couple who sent me an MR PM but forgot to include their email address. Just drop an email to ntmarrATbewrite.net (use the @ sign) and I'll send the book by return in the format of your choice. The offer's still open to all, by the way. Happy reading. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:37 AM   #14
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The best annotated Shakespeare is, IMHO, the Arden Shakespeare. I have the entire series as paper books; they aren't available as ebooks unfortunately.
I have a few still from school, and I have to agree they are good. It's a shame they're not available as ebooks.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:05 AM   #15
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Thanks for sending Shakespeare's Will, Neil!
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote