Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-07-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
Geekette70
Geekette70 began at the beginning.

Device: 2 Kindle 3 WiFi's and a Nook WiFi
Question eBook substitute for Warhammer40,000 type SciFi or Mystery

Ten years ago I married a non-reader and, alas, gave up books myself due to the guilt of being the only reader in the relationship. Then last year, a miracle happened. A friend of ours gave my husband a big box of books, mostly Warhammer40K (dystopian military sci-fi with a dash of dry humor) and my husband became a reader and almost always has a book with him. Now that we both have Kindles, he's found there are no Warhammer books in ebook format.

Are there any well written, action packed sci fi novels that you would recommend for someone like my husband?

Alternatively, he LOVED the Davinci Code (thought it was the best book ever at the time, I thought it was merely 'meh.') He loved the fast paced 'solve a puzzle' type mystery, but the religious stuff, not so much. My husband loves riddles and trying to figure stuff out based on the story. So an action filled mystery might be a good fit as well. (I tried suggesting Katherine Neville's Eight once, but he didn't care for it. )

Recently I suggested the Mistborn novels by Brian Sanderson, but apparently there's not enough action for him. He's finding them dry and 'talky' (and I quote, "Do they ever DO anything!?!) So anything suggested must have a lot of action with minimum exposition. Preferably books that don't start slow, too, as he's not one to give a book more than a few chapters before he gives up. My guy's hard to please.

I'd like to say thanks in advance, this board is so awesome for suggestions!!!!
Geekette70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:59 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Are there any well written, action packed sci fi novels that you would recommend for someone like my husband?
Military SciFi:
David Gunn's Death's Head series.

Mystery:
The Rule of Four by Ian Caldwell & Dustin Thomason.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 12-07-2010 at 06:06 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Warhammer do have some ebooks, they just aren't available from Amazon directly. But you can buy them from the Warhammer website and then transfer the mobi formatted file to your Kindle via USB (or I think you can also email/Whispernet them? Can't help you there, I have a Sony). They are even giving some away for free!

As for action-packed SF, how about The Warrior's Apprentice by Lois McMaster Bujold? Or if he has an interest in programming and wants to try some comic fantasy, Rick Cook's Wizard's Bane is a fast-paced read. Both of these are free, too!
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 01:43 PM   #4
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Not a book suggestion, but a Site / store suggestion.

Baens Books at:

http://www.baen.com/

Good authors with perponderance of Military / Action stories etc.

VERY good site with great prices etc

He sound like JUST the person that would love the stories there ( I know I do =) )

Edit:

For a specific book sugestion, get THIS ONE !

Empire from the Ashes
by David Weber
http://www.webscription.net/chapters...5931.htm?blurb

Small blurb from thier website description:
Quote:
WE HAVE A JOB FOR YOU ...
Just a routine day in lunar orbit. That's all Lieutenant Commander Colin Maclntyre, USN, expected. Only a simple training mission to test a new survey instrument intended for the first manned American-Russian interstellar flight.

What he got was just a bit different.

First, there was the fact that Earth didn't actually have a Moon.

Then there was the three thousand-kilometer diameter alien starship pretending it was the Moon. And the millennia-old cybernetic intelligence that shanghaied him to serve as its crew.

Colin might have been forgiven for thinking that those were enough surprises for any one man, but there were a few other small problems.

Like the deadly mutiny which had been raging longer than the human race had existed on Earth ... and still wasn't over.

Or like the millions of other starships, crewed by genocidal aliens dedicated to the extermination of all possible competing life forms, which just happened to be headed straight towards Earth.

Or like the interstellar empire whose aid offered humanity's only hope for survival... except for the minor fact that its last emperor and all of his subjects had died forty-five thousand years ago.

Add in the occasional homicidal terrorist, religious fanatics convinced that the only good Maclntyre was a dead Maclntyre, a bic-weapon capable of killing every living thing on any planet, a super-bomb which could take out whole worlds, a starship drive which could destroy complete solar systems, and the need to organize the entire planet Earth and all of its warring, mutually murderous factionsfor a probably hopeless last-ditch defense, and Colin was convinced that things were just about as bad as they could possibly get.

Until he found out whose job it had just become to fix all those problems, of course....

Last edited by askyn; 12-08-2010 at 01:50 PM.
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #5
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Maybe Old Man's War by John Scalzi?
http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/51964.Old_Man_s_War
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:06 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
I recommend the Sten Series. These are DRM-free (download the MOBI for Kindle), but unfortunately the 1st in the series is no longer at FictionWise. It is at B&N, but you would have to strip DRM and convert to MOBI for your Kindle.

Another good author would be David Weber, in particular his Honor Harrington Series, the first couple of which are free. David Weber's Out of the Dark (in the Kindle Store) is a stand alone novel about alien invasion of earth. It is all action, with a slightly weird ending.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 02:25 PM   #7
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
He'd like the Halo books, I'm sure.
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:02 PM   #8
Hatgirl
Addict
Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hatgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-T2, Kindle (7th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Another good author would be David Weber, in particular his Honor Harrington Series, the first couple of which are free. David Weber's Out of the Dark (in the Kindle Store) is a stand alone novel about alien invasion of earth. It is all action, with a slightly weird ending.
The Honor Harrington books sprang to mind immediately, but Ye Gods is there a lot of hanging around and talking! Especially as the series progresses. Ashes of Victory, anyone

Ooh, two more recommendations, both excellent YA SF that move along at a fair clip: Shade's Children by Garth Nix and The Inferior by Peadar O'Guilin.
Hatgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:29 PM   #9
mikemc2
Zealot
mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.mikemc2 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505,Kindle 3,Nook HD+,iPod Touch,Kindle PW2
The Honor Harrington series also popped into my head and Games Workshop was offering free WH40K e-books on Fridays. It looks like they killed that promo though. They do sell some Warhammer ebooks but they're all priced in Pounds so I'm not sure if they're available to non-U.K. buyers. I enjoyed the Dread Empire's Fall trilogy by Walter Jon Williams (available for Kindle).

Last edited by mikemc2; 12-08-2010 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Removed reference to "alternative" ways of obtaining WH40K ebooks.
mikemc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:47 AM   #10
Geekette70
Geekette70 began at the beginning.

Device: 2 Kindle 3 WiFi's and a Nook WiFi
Awesome! Thanks for the info on the WH40K. He was looking forward to the latest Abnett book this month and was thrilled to hear he can get it on his Kindle. Today is his birthday...so you guys really helped me surprise him.

I had already downloaded the Honor Harrington series (for me...lol) but told him he might like them too. I've been perusing and sampling a lot of Baen books, but they're all on my TBR list that's about 30 books deep at the moment.

I'll keep the other suggestions and run them past him. Thank you all again!

Geekette70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #11
ebusinesstutor
Star Gawker
ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ebusinesstutor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
One series I love that is fast paced and action filled is Kelly McCullough's WebMage series.

A little of everything. Hacking, sentient AIs, Gods and more. And did I mention action?

Here is a writeup on McCullough's web site about it:
Kelly McCullough's first novel, WebMage was released by ACE books in 2006 and followed by a four sequels to complete the series, Cybermancy in 2007. Two more books in the series, CodeSpell, MythOS, SpellCrash.

The WebMage books are a fantasy-cyberpunk hybrid set in a universe where an ever-increasing number of life threads has forced the Greek Fates to a upgrade the great loom of Fate into a computerized system that blends magic with programming. Of course, where there are computers there are also hackers. Enter Ravirn, a hacker/sorcerer, and his laptop familiar, Melchior. Ravirn is the grandson of both the Greek Fate Lachesis and Thalia the muse of comedy and comedic poetry, making him the end product of Fate and Slapstick. Together with Melchior he takes on Fate, Hades, Nemesis, and all other comers. The results range from disastrous to catastrophic with many side trips into the sublimely silly.
ebusinesstutor is offline   Reply With Quote