Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-05-2010, 04:44 PM   #16
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I find Diana Wynne Jones' books to be really funny. Try taking a look at "Dark Lord of Derkholm", "Year of the Griffin" "Howl's Moving Castle" and "The Tough Guide to Fantasyland"
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:05 AM   #17
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
Barry Hughart's _Bridge of Birds_

William
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:24 AM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootingMaNs View Post
Maybe this is considered dark fantasy, but "Good Omens" by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman is one of my favorites. "Incarnations of Immortallity" is pretty funny, too.
I doubt the OP will like Good Omens.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:25 AM   #19
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k1ng1001 View Post
The Xanth series by Piers Anthony comes to mind.
Again I doubt the OP will like the Xanth series since the OP didn't like the Discworld series.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #20
Jamp
Jamp began at the beginning.

Device: PRS 505
I can recommend Gunnerkrigg Court, it is written as a comic first, but can be classified as fantasy, it has long-spanning plot and it's really interesting read. Author makes lots of connections and links between the chapters, and his drawing style is non-intrusive and fitting. It can be viewed for free on Archive (Homepage)
Jamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:09 PM   #21
Geekette70
Geekette70 began at the beginning.

Device: 2 Kindle 3 WiFi's and a Nook WiFi
Wow, comic fantasy with no Pratchett? That would have been my first suggestion BUT...here goes.

Good Omens MAY be a good try (a lot of people perfer Urban Fantasy over epic fantasy)
Niel Gaimen His stuff is urban fantasy, and there's a bit of dry humor in them
Simon R Green (Blue Moon Rising comes to mind...the funniest take on the typical 'rescue a princess from a dragon' story since Shrek.)
The Princess Bride
John Dies at the End Urban horror/fantasy (maybe more horror than fantasy), but there's lots of alternate universe stuff in it and it's more slapstick/stoner humor. Not necessarily high-brow, but very funny. At least it was to me anyway.

That's all I've got. And if you hate Pratchett, make sure you didn't read one of the first few Discworld novels...they're not so good. I always suggest starting with some of his later works...and most people tend to love one particular story arc over others, I'm a Witches and Death girl, others like the Wizards and there are lots of people who swear the Guards stuff is best (I find those just okay.)

I lean towards liking the British 'dry humor/sarcastic' books best but it's definitely not for everyone. If that's what's turning you off of Prachett, then maybe these aren't good examples.

Good luck!
Geekette70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:51 PM   #22
Gadget_girl
Connoisseur
Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: Aura HD Espresso, Sony PRS-650
Hmmm, I remember reading Robert Asprin's Myth series as a teenager, has some Sci-Fi / Fantasy crossover elements. Not sure of their availability as ebooks. Mythadventure, and Myth Inc. Link. come to mind. Also - british humor again - Douglas Adam's Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency. More of a modern Urban comic fantasy, as I recall.

My favorite Christopher Moore novel, is probably A Dirty Job ... I'm not sure if that's the exact title, but it's something to that effect.

I have a book in hard copy called Heroics for Beginners, by John Moore, that I've enjoyed now and then.

Terry Brooks' Landover Series has some comedic elements as well. I believe the first book is Magic Kingdom for Sale.
Gadget_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:54 PM   #23
ChrisHaycox
ChrisHaycox began at the beginning.

Device: none
Wonder Women and Super Girl ! Now that would be a fantasy...!
ChrisHaycox is offline   Reply With Quote