Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 09-21-2008, 10:55 AM   #1
deloscampos
deloscampos began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hi there !

Hello everybody !

My name is Sebastien, i'm 25 and i live in France. Apart from my daily professional activities i enjoy photography and reading. If you're interested, you can see some of my photographs online at http://photo.deloscampos.org.

I've been reading ebooks on computers for a while and since i discovered the e-ink devices, i'm getting more and more tempted to buy a mobile ebook reader to take with me for my daily commutes and to reduce the size of my bookshelves.

I subscribed to this forum to get information and feedback about the different devices and to discover more about the ebook world and communities.

My first investigations would make me tend to choose the Booken Cybook gen3 as my main concern is to have an open device that can accept a wide variety of formats and especially DRM free contents.

Looking forward to read you more in these forums.
Sébastien.
deloscampos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 01:55 PM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Hello -- and welcome to MobileRead. In addition to the Cybook, you might want to consider the BeBook/Hanlin which just announced an upgrade to allow it to support MobiPocket formatted books. I understand that the Sony is being introduced to France, so even though it does not support as many book formats, you might want to consider it as well.

> and to reduce the size of my bookshelves.

My personal experience is that this is just theoretical. My TBR stack of paper books has definitely grown since I received my Kindle in February. That might be related to the fact that I've read 41 books on the Kindle and only 38 paper books since mid-February. I'm still getting paper books -- mostly through swaps rather than purchasing -- so I'm making a special effort to send 2 out for every one received. I just haven't gotten to the point where I'm willing to part with a book that I haven't read.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2008, 02:07 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi deloscampos and welcome to the Forum
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 05:23 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
My personal experience is that this is just theoretical. My TBR stack of paper books has definitely grown since I received my Kindle in February.
Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elsi View Post
I'm still getting paper books --
Ah... maybe that's the problem. I have decided, no more paper books unless it is a technical reference book that I will refer to many times. Or, it is a book I absolutely must have and won't be an ebook. Beedle The Bard is probably the only book that will/has qualified for that so far.

I have cleaned out my book shelves (keeping a few that are unread and a few hard back favorites like my HHTG omnibus). Every book I've read has been cataloged at librarything and boxed up. These boxes to be sold, donated or trashed soon. My bookshelf thanks me.

If I want to re-read one of those, I will just buy or borrow the ebook version. But, with so many books out there to read, I'd rather read something new than re-read one.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:00 PM   #5
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Salut Sébastien,
welcome to MobileRead. you'll be able to find plenty of information and advice about liseuses to help you make your choice here. if you would like to see some in person to help you decide, don't miss our next mobileread apéro in Paris, the 25 october. the place will be announced soon. it's a friendly gathering of mobileread members and interested public to show off our different liseuses and talk about the e-reading experience, and everyone is welcome. leave a little note in the thread if you would like to come. and take a look around the french forum as well for some great francophone ressources for ebooks.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2008, 07:28 AM   #6
deloscampos

Thanks for your warm welcome, I'll make sure to look at your recommandations, especially Zelda's about the Paris meeting.
Sébastien.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:16 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Hi, deloscampos. Welcome to MobileRead.

I thoroughly enjoyed looking at your photography, especially the tonal quality of your black-and-white work.

Throughout all the work, however, is the concentration (in my opinion) of a questing mind wanting to create new ways of seeing reality, of how we interpret our world.

Thank you for sharing your incredible work.

I was a professional photographer at one time, having been President Clinton's photographer when he was Governor of Arkansas during his first term of office.

My work, however, concentrates upon my photojournalistic background and does not contain (in my mind) the high degree of proficiency I see evident in your work. Also, with the exception of my Official State Photograph, all my work was really done in black-and-white.

I really admire the high degree of creativity and composition exhibited in your photographs.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 03:31 AM   #8
deloscampos

Thanks for the congratulations Doctor, I truly appreciate them and i'm glad you enjoyed my work.
Sébastien.