Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 07-19-2008, 05:54 PM   #1
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
just broke the screen of my precious Iliad

Before going out to diner, I put my Iliad on to charge and set the device on the top of my computer box. Got home form dinner and started looking at some web sites and as I usually do, put my big feet on the computer box. Only problem, I felt a sickening crunch as my foot hit the screen of my Iliad.

The poor thing has survived several drops including one from my car on to a gravel car park (withoput a cover on it) on to suffer such a disgraceful end to it's life. I would have to disagree with people who say the screen is fragile, it took a reasonable degree of force to break the screen.

Ah well time to contact Irex and start the path of getting it repaired and back to using the Sony for a few months.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
orcinus
Gadgeteer
orcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enoughorcinus will become famous soon enough

Device: iRex iLiad, Sony PRS-500, Nokia 770, BB 7200, Samsung i600, iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by sianon View Post
I would have to disagree with people who say the screen is fragile, it took a reasonable degree of force to break the screen.
It takes a reasonable degree of force perpendicular to the screen to break it. But it takes a measly amount of force to break the substrate via torsion (twisting/bending) - that's what everyone's complaining about.

Anyway, very sorry for your loss and hope you get it back repaired soon!
orcinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
My Sympathies...

We definitely need somethink like this for eReader owners
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:00 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Thomas- View Post
My Sympathies...

We definitely need somethink like this for eReader owners
Please do not misuse the term eReader. eReader is the term used for the eReader software and/or eReader format eBooks. If you use it as a generic term meaning electronic reader then you will confuse people and they will think it's OK to purchase eReader format eBooks when it may very well not be the case.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 03:16 PM   #5
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
It's always fun to pay the extra 275 Euro for the repair.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2008, 05:42 AM   #6
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

I have returned to using my first electronic reader, the Sony 500 while I save up for either a repair or a new Illiad. I have to watch what I spend at the moment as I will be going to Hong Kong next month so long as my leave is approved. If Leave is denied (which would be reasonable given I just returned this week form two weeks leave) then I will use the money earmarked for flight to buy a new device.
However the Illiad was just the start of technology disasters, my MP 3 player broke down (in for repairs under warranty) then my mobile phone broke (it was out of warranty) and needed to be replaced I obviously dis something to incur the wrath of she who rules the world.
Karen
Old 08-04-2008, 03:38 PM   #7
DonRobodroid
Paper?! Who needs paper?
DonRobodroid began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad v2, iPhone 3GS
Yes. Enraged Shes Who Rule the World tend to smash things against the walls until they break.

But look on the bright side: If it was a He Who Rules the World he very probably would have punched you on the nose instead.

Hmmm... realizing that there is a high toll the world pays in smashed things AND noses, I'd like to think of Them Who Rule the World as an old married couple, bickering the day away...

Cheers,
- Don [:-], sympathizing nonetheless with everyone who lost their iLiad screens (and other gadgets) to the circumstances described above...
DonRobodroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:52 AM   #8
sianon
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRobodroid View Post
But look on the bright side: If it was a He Who Rules the World he very probably would have punched you on the nose instead.

Cheers,
- Don [:-], ..
MMMMMM so is that why I find myself with a burst blood vessel in my eye, he aimed for the nose and got the eye instead
Old 08-07-2008, 06:40 AM   #9
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by sianon View Post
Before going out to diner, I put my Iliad on to charge and set the device on the top of my computer box. Got home form dinner and started looking at some web sites and as I usually do, put my big feet on the computer box. Only problem, I felt a sickening crunch as my foot hit the screen of my Iliad.
Oh no! I feel sorry for you...
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote