Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 05-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #31
74Cuda
MaxPuppy Rules
74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.74Cuda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 8.9 HDX Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Kindle Fire HD, Acer A200
Here's a link to the older versions.

http://golauncher.goforandroid.com/

http://golauncher.goforandroid.com/page/2/
74Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:29 PM   #32
grvthang
Connoisseur
grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.grvthang is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Kindle Fire, Droid Incredible2, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
On launch day, I picked up a Fire and immediately install GL. Unfortunately it was an older version that entered a forced close loop resulting in a near-brick experience. Since then I had stuck with the stock Kindle UI.

Today I installed GL 2.87. It works fine. But there's still the issue of the everchanging wallpaper that requires rooting the Fire. (the rotating wallpaper app workaround is a bit of a kludge)
You don't need to root to get away from the stock wallpaper routine (this is another one that goes around). I'm running Go Launcher EX (whatever the most recent version is) and an app called Wallchanger (Kindle Fire - Wallpaper Change), specifically developed for the KF and available in the Google Android market.

So for sideloading apps, changing the stock UI, or for getting away from Amazon's wallpaper, you don't need to root. Any more misconceptions about rooting we need to clarify?
grvthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:16 PM   #33
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by grvthang View Post
You don't need to root to get away from the stock wallpaper routine (this is another one that goes around). I'm running Go Launcher EX (whatever the most recent version is) and an app called Wallchanger (Kindle Fire - Wallpaper Change), specifically developed for the KF and available in the Google Android market.

So for sideloading apps, changing the stock UI, or for getting away from Amazon's wallpaper, you don't need to root. Any more misconceptions about rooting we need to clarify?
As I previously wrote "Rotating Wallpaper" is a kludgy workaround. From what I've read, "Kindle Fire - Wallpaper Changer" is too.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:14 PM   #34
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
Quote:
"As I previously wrote "Rotating Wallpaper" is a kludgy workaround."
That is a matter of opinion.

I chose several images that I found pleasing & unobtrusive.
made multiple copies of them and added them to a folder on the KF
Point rotating wallpaper to that folder and set the rotating frequency to one hour
(or one month or whatever you like in between)

as it cycles through each copy of my images it changes my background when it gets to the next image.

its been doing that in the background since I installed it months ago
not feeling any "kludge" over here.
Anabran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:24 PM   #35
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT
Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anabran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"
Even tho I was spooked by the whole GL affair, I have tried it repeatedly and always have a lock up. I'm going to keep trying tho. If I brick the thing,"

Hi have you tried this other wall paper changer

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1550347
Old 05-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #36
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Fire, K2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anabran View Post
"
Even tho I was spooked by the whole GL affair, I have tried it repeatedly and always have a lock up. I'm going to keep trying tho. If I brick the thing,"

Thanks, I'll take a look.
beej231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 09:17 PM   #37
beej231
Addict
beej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enoughbeej231 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
"

It works great. Thanks.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #38
Anabran
GUNDAM PILOT

Quote:
"It works great. Thanks. "
Good to hear Beej!!
I grabbed A copy for myself just in case
RW somehow gets Zapped by the new 6.3.11 update.

We will rescue you from that big, ugly grey bookshelf one way or another
Old 05-03-2012, 11:56 PM   #39
beej231
Addict

Quote:
Good to hear Beej!!
I grabbed A copy for myself just in case
RW somehow gets Zapped by the new 6.3.11 update.

We will rescue you from that big, ugly grey bookshelf one way or another
Thanks, I have boats instead of the gray bookshelves. Very nice.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #40
Merischino
Groupie
Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Merischino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Pixel 2, Kindle Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
You should try a ROM. Once you go ICS, you never go back. Just having more app capability, Google Chrome, Apex Launcher, the really nice ICS design, YouTube, among other things is totally worth it. And then you can just flash back the latest Amazon update to revert back to stock whenever you want.
I rooted to ICS, and I did actually go back. I spent so much time having to re-install apps that I already had post-root, and working within the file structure I could see that my memory was halved by the root because the stock installation and all its apps was still there on the drive even after flashing a whole ICS rom over it. Seemed like I was wasting a LOT of time trying to configure something that ALREADY worked just fine. It was nice having the Google Play store, but for me overall the improvements were marginal and the cost in terms of time was phenomenal.

Quote:
On one level it is tempting
but the practical part of my brain says:
What is the current state of performing the
Root/ROM procedure for us Mac users with no reasonable access to a windows PC?

For me it is a matter of risk VS reward and I still don't see what I would gain that would be so crucial to my daily usage of the device that I am not getting now

I dont use my kindle fire for web surfing at all really
I truly dont need the googleplay store

with my alternative book/comic readers the stock carousel is becoming a distant memory.
I have every app and 3D/2D game I could want

so at the moment i am happy with my GoLauncher/RW set up .
I rooted exclusively with the use of a mac using the Kindlewater root protocol, which was extremely easy to implement. It was the post-root configuration of app installs etc that basically convinced me that I didn't really need the root, it was more an intriguing hacker dream exploration than a necessity. Ultimately, the only reason I "need" root is to get the google play store, which you really only need if you absolutely have to have the best version/isntallation of google applications. For me, the gmail app does just fine without needing the google framework to support it.

Just an fyi though, it's MUCH harder to de-root your fire than it is to root it. Took me 3 months before finally finding a de-root protocol that actually worked for me.
Merischino is offline   Reply With Quote