Notices

Old 09-26-2008, 03:00 AM   #1
sergiodongala
Connoisseur
sergiodongala doesn't littersergiodongala doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
Can not open Calibre (Version: 0.4.86)

Hi, I'm having problems opening calibre,
let me tell first that it is my first time using calibre, it is not any upgrade.

After the install processed, when I double-click the calibre icon it give me a message asking to choose a folder for the library (first image) , after choosing the program don't do anything.

I tried many times it always ask the same question and don't do nothing.

-I saw other threads in this forums and tried every steps of the FAQ but nothing.
-I tried to find the files:
calibre.ini, calibre2.ini and library1.db.
But I cant find any of them.

-I tried to install with the antivirus and firewall disabled and nothing.
So here is the output of the cmd(2nd image).
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	16579   Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre2.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	16580  
sergiodongala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:38 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
try setting the HOME environment variable to point to some directory for which you have write permissions, like your my documents directory. a quick google will tell you how to set environment variables.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2008, 08:19 AM   #3
sergiodongala
Connoisseur

I did what you said,
as in image in atachement.
But the problem is continuing, the program still continue asking for the directory for library and them it doesn't nothing.
Thanks anyway.
Sérgio.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ok.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	16583  
Old 09-26-2008, 08:21 AM   #4
sergiodongala
Connoisseur

Is it possible to try a previous version?
In the website I cant find it.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:22 AM   #5
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Could it possibly be related to the fact that your home directory is having an accent over one of the characters?

As in Sérgio?
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2008, 08:44 AM   #6
sergiodongala
Connoisseur

No,
I as you told, I tried other forlders and it is still the same.
Old 09-26-2008, 11:46 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hmm i'm afraid i dont keep old versions around. What folder are you picking for the library?
Old 09-26-2008, 12:04 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Hmm i'm afraid i dont keep old versions around. What folder are you picking for the library?
What, you don't use a version control system? How do people send you patches?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 12:36 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

i do, i just dont keep binaries.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:40 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
i do, i just dont keep binaries.
Ah.

So if you tag the source you should be able to rebuild any version.

BOb
Old 09-26-2008, 12:55 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yeah but thats way too much work. I prefer fixing the regressions in the new version
Old 09-26-2008, 12:56 PM   #12
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
yeah but thats way too much work. I prefer fixing the regressions in the new version
Heh... I am so spoiled with our build system here.

BOb
Old 09-26-2008, 12:59 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

actually its not much work for me, (calibre has a fully automated build system that builds the binaries for all 3 platforms automatically). The problem is finding computer time on my build machine, which is typically busy running numerics.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:46 PM   #14
sergiodongala
Connoisseur

Quote:
Well as it wasn't working I tried many possibilities like:
D:\
D:\Documents and Settings\Sérgio\My Documents
D:\Documents and Settings\Sérgio\My Documents\docs de txt

it still don't work,
I'm working as administrator.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:48 PM   #15
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergiodongala View Post
Well as it wasn't working I tried many possibilities like:
D:\
D:\Documents and Settings\Sérgio\My Documents
D:\Documents and Settings\Sérgio\My Documents\docs de txt

it still don't work,
I'm working as administrator.
Are you on XP or Vista? I assume Vista if you are in \docs and settings.

BOb