Notices

Old 08-01-2008, 02:15 AM   #1
mrsonyreader
eBook Enthusiast
mrsonyreader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader (PRS-505)
Fictionwise

Hey,

Yes, I know, there are about a trillion topics on Fictionwise & how to get them to work on the Sony Reader, but could somebody check my steps and see if they're correct?

1. Download book from Fictionwise in Microsoft Reader format.
2. Strip DRM from book using 'ConvertLIT', following steps in Readme.
3. Run it through Calibre, adding book covers and metadata as needed.
4. Open folder where BBeB book and data is.
5. Open BBeB book (which launches in eBook Library).
6. Import into Library after confirming all text is there.
7. Sync onto Sony Reader.

Sorry, but I've already researched and can't seem to figure it out correctly, and what I've managed to understand is above. Seems to work on the free book from Fictionwise (some sort of biography or something), but I want to make sure it'll work on all books (in MS Reader format) before dishing out for a book which costs money.

MrSonyReader ()
mrsonyreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:34 AM   #2
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Mrs OnyReader, for step 4, I just view the newly converted file using the "view" button in Calibre, then when I am satisfied with the results, I click the "send to device" button (making sure my Sony is connected).

Works for me every time!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2008, 02:37 AM   #3
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
BTW, welcome aboard MSR!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:46 AM   #4
mrsonyreader
eBook Enthusiast
mrsonyreader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader (PRS-505)
thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Mrs OnyReader, for step 4, I just view the newly converted file using the "view" button in Calibre, then when I am satisfied with the results, I click the "send to device" button (making sure my Sony is connected).

Works for me every time!
Thanks for your help! (btw I'm a 'mr' and the company is 'Sony' not 'ony'... haha j/k )
mrsonyreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:18 AM   #5
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2

Now seriously. If you use Calibre to send books to the Reader instead of the Sony Library, the books take much longer in opening the first time...
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-01-2008, 07:04 AM   #6
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
I buy secure reader from Fictionwise for my PRS-500 and your steps work fine, the only thing to be aware of is that calibre doesn't store the LRFs in a directory, all the books in it are kept in a single file database and you need to Save them to disk from calibre if you're copying the files across by hand.

Personally I use calibre to upload the books, and the Sony software isn't installed on my PC at all
simond is offline   Reply With Quote