Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 04-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #31
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidKitson View Post
Great book!
I was a little skeptical as the book was free.
There you see - it's kind of "Linux-perception"
there's a lot of people thinking "If he doesn't dare to ask for money for it he doesn't believe in his own book's quality."

Some people never learned to acceppt a gift.
Do them a favour and set at least a minimal price.

And if there IS any kind of contest about writing in tradition of Asimov - send that gem of a book in.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:42 PM   #32
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irian View Post
Read the first pages, starts promising, I've already put it on my reader, let's see when I'll have time to read the rest.
Ditto. I like that it starts right off with interesting action.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:31 PM   #33
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I've been reading it too, and I agree it is a very interesting book so far. I keep wondering what will happen next.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:38 PM   #34
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
David,

I'm a bit over halfway through this book and am thoroughly enjoying it. It is very well written and flows very well. A stark contrast to a book I just finished, All the Weyrs of Pern by Ann McCaffrey. I found that book hard to read because of such odd character names and I had trouble keeping up with the constant influx of characters. An interesting story, but not nearly as well written as your story.

Anyway, I just logged into Smashwords and got your other two books, Military Diorama and The Dagger's Point.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:41 AM   #35
DavidKitson
Mobile Story Author
DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fujitsu P1510 ( Old & Clunky! )
Thankyou Speedlever, but I didn't actually write Dagger's Point. That's another author with a similar name.

Military Diorama is just a short story, but it's set 28 years before the events in Turing Evolved and Peter Roberts is in both stories. It looks at some of the events that set the wheels in motion for the main story. It can be read before or after Turing Evolved.

But I am very glad you're enjoying it.

Regards
David
DavidKitson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 07:27 AM   #36
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Ahh. Son of a gun. David... James... Kitson. I missed the James part of the name.

Oh well, hope it's a good read.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:15 AM   #37
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Had to get this and support a fellow West Ozzie. Might be while till I can get to it but the first few pages look pretty good. Thanks for the offer.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #38
shootingMaNs
later...
shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shootingMaNs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600, iRiver Story HD, Nook Color Kobo Libra H2O
I finally read "Turing Evolved." Excellent book!! I've got "Military Diorama" on my reader, I think it will be next.

Got any new stuff coming, David?
shootingMaNs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #39
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I finished the book this evening and really enjoyed it. Looking back at the story I can see the clues pointing to the ending, but it was so well done that I was still caught off guard. I hope David will come out with a sequel in the not too distant future.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 09:11 AM   #40
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

he should really go full biz with that book - print and epub
I can't imagine so good stuff rejected.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:16 AM   #41
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hmm...I guess this is what they call "buzz."
I'll have to move this closer to the top of my reading list.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 10:33 AM   #42
speedlever
Fanatic

I finished the book last night as well. Also finished the mini-story too this morning. Excellent read and very well done. I want to see more out of that creative brain, David!

Very interesting twist as it concluded too. I didn't see that coming. This book is worthy of $$ and is one of the better reads I've come across in a while (just made better by reading it on my K3.)

I wouldn't call it real hard military sci-fi, but it was hard enough to keep my interest and the story line flowed so well that I was happily surprised in the overall quality of the author's output. There are some technical flaws in execution.. typos and that sort of thing, but they did not distract at all from the experience.

I want more!

Edit: I agree with Freeshadow's thoughts. No editor in their right mind would reject this book.

Last edited by speedlever; 05-05-2011 at 10:35 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:04 PM   #43
Freeshadow
temp. out of service

Quote:
I wouldn't call it real hard military sci-fi
agree on that - the best in the story is the AI plot, in best Asimov tradition
Old 05-06-2011, 09:46 AM   #44
DavidKitson
Mobile Story Author
DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DavidKitson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fujitsu P1510 ( Old & Clunky! )
Thanks guys, it's really appreciated.

Thanks all for the new reviews. It's really appreciated.

Of note, with respect to Military Diorama ( The Short Story ) - The US government just last week began seeking tenders for military weapons testing simulation software - basically a forerunner to the "Military Diorama" concept though clearly lacking the AI I created, but otherwise it was one of the premises I based the story on. Not that I knew they were going to do that, but I thought it was interesting.

Also yes, as you've noted it's mainly an AI story and is intended to examine the concept that the book is titled for. But try as I might, I really struggle for an "blurb" to describe it or a category to fit it into, so I wasn't trying to mislead anyone by calling it hard-science fiction, more trying to give an idea that things like physics mattered to the story. I took few liberties though to make the story flow well.

The follow up story has a lot more combat in it and has a more military theme as well, though I'll probably finish and release "The Hacker" first. ( Thriller )

In answer to why I haven't sought a print publisher, simply because I never even heard back from the few I've tried and from speaking to other authors ( and reading the comments of published authors ) I decided that I wasn't likely to get them even to read the first page of the manuscript. Publishers don't seem to be taking on new writers of late. Everyone seems to be looking for the next twilight or harry potter and I don't have magic or vampires. And if finding a publisher isn't bad enough, I can't even find an agent who will read manuscripts.

So I decided to self-publish. And free/shareware? Well, I have enjoyed a lot of people's work over the years that they offered up for free or as shareware, so it's kind of paying respect to those others by contributing myself.

Some people donate, but even comments on the forums and reviews feel like appreciation so I enjoy them all

So Thankyou all for reading and commenting

David.
DavidKitson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 10:28 AM   #45
speedlever
Fanatic

I looked in vain for a link to contribute a few bucks. Did I miss the obvious?

For the record, I wasn't complaining about the hard military sci-fi, but was just commenting that I didn't find it to be strongly in that category. Also for the record, I have little interest in magic and vampires, fwiw.

Your observations on finding someone to read and/or publish your work is rather disturbing.

Tags
androids, artificial intelligence, asimov style, love story, science fiction, twist