Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-20-2008, 04:42 PM   #196
GypsyWoman
Groupie
GypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony E Reader PRS-505/iTouch/Blackberry Curve-Pink
Thanks again!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
you are welcome.

i forgot to mention, you can also see who gave you karma : click on your "user cp" (top left, in the blue menu bar) and scroll down to where it says "Latest Reputation Received". there's a link to the post that got karma-ed, the karma giver's name, and a message (if they left one). fun stuff. personally, the messages and the fortunes are my favorite parts.
Wow!! I had no idea !!

Thank you everyone!! This is so cool!!

Okay, remind me how to give karma. Is there a give karma button I'm not seeing?

I'm pretty excited now.
GypsyWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:43 PM   #197
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
yeah. it's that button marked "karma". at the bottom of each post (on the left).
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:44 PM   #198
GypsyWoman
Groupie
GypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enoughGypsyWoman will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony E Reader PRS-505/iTouch/Blackberry Curve-Pink
Quote:
yeah. it's that button marked "karma". at the bottom of each post (on the left).
DUH!! I see it ......now!!

You deserve some karma for answering all of my questions..and very quickly I might add.
GypsyWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 04:45 PM   #199
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

hee ! no worries. we all have questions before we figure out how everything works. i *still* have questions about stuff.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:22 PM   #200
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
hee ! no worries. we all have questions before we figure out how everything works. i *still* have questions about stuff.
Like, "How are little socks made?" No wait, that was Lefty.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:23 PM   #201
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Like, "How are little socks made?" No wait, that was Lefty.
i'd like to know that too, actually, if you're planning to explain.
Old 11-20-2008, 06:31 PM   #202
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
i'd like to know that too, actually, if you're planning to explain.
Not only how they are made, but also what do you mean by "little socks" and who is "Lefty"?
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 06:36 PM   #203
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Not only how they are made, but also what do you mean by "little socks" and who is "Lefty"?
"who is Lefty ?" who is Lefty ??? you know, Lefty ! Hugo's, um, twin. everybody knows Hugo and Lefty ! they're my socks.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:57 PM   #204
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
I'm starting to think there needs to be an "anti-Karma" button...or, can you enter a negative number?

I realize that after years of being asked the same questions from a constant stream of newbies who really don't know better, sooner or later someone's patience might run out. But sometimes the "answers" people post for new questions are downright unhelpful and deliberately obtuse!

I suppose the danger would be that it could turn into a kind of "popularity contest", but - boy! - there are times I'd like to slap someone with some anti-karma!
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:04 PM   #205
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I'm starting to think there needs to be an "anti-Karma" button...or, can you enter a negative number?

There was once a time when moderators could reduce a member's karma.
But we decided that it wasn't very helpful, so we disabled that feature. Now, nobody can reduce karma.

It's occasionally a mild irritation to see the same question asked repeatedly, But new members may not realise that they can search the forum for answers. I think that we can afford to be patient.

As for the very occasional person who intends to be rude: well we can ignore them, I suppose - unless we feel like replying.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:11 PM   #206
zelda_pinwheel

actually i get the impression that fizzy water is annoyed by the replies that some experienced members sometimes give. but i agree that the best way to avoid being annoyed is to simply not answer.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:47 PM   #207
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Zelda's right - it was the unhelpful "answers" I wanted to punish, not the questions. I want to say "ignorant questions", but that has such a negative connotation! I just means those questions that make it very obvious the person is new, new, new to ebooks - and in some cases - computers!

It is quite obvious that members here have all levels of computer skills - from those who've bought their first ebooks and aren't very technical to those writing the programs and the hacks so we can make those ebook gadgets work more like the way we want them to.

I am personally so grateful for the people (like nrapallo, for example) who graciously answer the same questions over and over, point them to wiki posts, share information about programs/tools, etc. I've been hanging out here for a little over a year, and searching for posts I know I've read, but can't remember the title for, can be challenging. How much more so for the newbie who doesn't even know the right questions to ask, the right words to use?

This forum has been an incredible resource for me - and I've sent friends here as I've talked them into buying ebook readers of their own. So when I see someone new post a less-than-knowledgeable question, and they get "slapped" for it, it makes me cringe.

If it's something I know something about, I just try to give a more newbie-friendly answer, rather than completing ignoring the thread. But sometimes I want to shoot back something an old roommate used to say all the time: "Who p*ssed in your Cheerios?!"
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 05:54 PM   #208
zelda_pinwheel

i know what you mean. i think it's good that you've brought it up, because it's a good way to remind everybody that a really important element of this community is the respectful, friendly tone that we try to maintain, and that depends on EVERYBODY, in every circumstance.

of course, someone who is just finding out about ebooks won't know a lot of the things that might seem obvious to a more experienced member, that's to be expected. and maybe some people get exasperated answering the same questions over and over. but as patricia pointed out, the best way to deal with that is simply not to answer in that case, and let someone else handle that question. that way everyone continues to have a good experience here.

a new member who gets a friendly, helpful answer is much more likely to stick around and give friendly, helpful answers in turn, than someone who gets "slapped". and that is good for everybody.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:29 PM   #209
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have seen a few answers, such as the ones FizzyWater references, where the answer is so obtuse that for even a topic where I know the answer, I cannot understand the response. It is often hard when you have responded to the same question many times beforew to remember when you asked the same type of questions and were so happy to get a response that opened your eyes rather than a flip retort or a reply that was more confusing than the original situation that caused you to post the question.

This is why some questions seem to be just lingering there unanswered for a while. Many of the moderators try to hold back a bit to let other members answer the questions rather than jump on every question they see. This gives others a chance and allows dialogue to develop. Sometimes when a mod posts an answer, all discussion stops. As many forum readers have already observed, all moderators do not agree all of the time. Discussion is sometimes required to fully identify the true problem or to fine-tune a response. There are often several correct responses to questions and discussion allows the original poster (and readers) a chance to see multiple approaches to the problem. Sometimes though, questions have only one correct answer.

So if a response seems unclear, flip, or cryptic; ask for more details. Even the best of us sometimes have an off day, a blind spot, or post what we think is a complete answer only to have the browser clip a line or two.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:31 PM   #210
RWood
Technogeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I have seen a few answers, such as the ones FizzyWater references, where the answer is so obtuse that for even a topic where I know the answer, I cannot understand the response. It is often hard when you have responded to the same question many times beforew to remember when you asked the same type of questions and were so happy to get a response that opened your eyes rather than a flip retort or a reply that was more confusing than the original situation that caused you to post the question.

This is why some questions seem to be just lingering there unanswered for a while. Many of the moderators try to hold back a bit to let other members answer the questions rather than jump on every question they see. This gives others a chance and allows dialogue to develop. Sometimes when a mod posts an answer, all discussion stops. As many forum readers have already observed, all moderators do not agree all of the time. Discussion is sometimes required to fully identify the true problem or to fine-tune a response. There are often several correct responses to questions and discussion allows the original poster (and readers) a chance to see multiple approaches to the problem. Sometimes though, questions have only one correct answer.

So if a response seems unclear, flip, or cryptic; ask for more details. Even the best of us sometimes have an off day, a blind spot, or post what we think is a complete answer only to have the browser clip a line or two.

Edit: Sorry, I typed it before dinner and forgot to press "Send" before I left. Pressed it after I returned and the prior two postes then showed up.

Tags
focking, lefty