Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 11-28-2012, 10:42 PM   #211
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
Has anyone had success using Skype on the Nexus 7?

Someone tried to skype me but I could not see the video from their camera. Sound was fine and my video showed fine on the Nexus and they could see the camera working in a small box on the Nexus, but my screen didn't display their video. Just a small circle going around.
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:05 PM   #212
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Can anyone tell me if there is a way to change the order of the home screens? Is that what they are called? I have tried searching but apparently it's different for every device and every release of Android and I am not having much luck...
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:44 PM   #213
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldberry View Post

Someone tried to skype me but I could not see the video from their camera. Sound was fine and my video showed fine on the Nexus and they could see the camera working in a small box on the Nexus, but my screen didn't display their video. Just a small circle going around.
I didn't try Skype, but google talk worked fine for a video conference.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #214
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
Can anyone tell me if there is a way to change the order of the home screens? Is that what they are called? I have tried searching but apparently it's different for every device and every release of Android and I am not having much luck...
The main screens can be different for everyone since you can customize them - not only different launchers (which basically replace the entire UI), but you can move icons and widgets (press & hold & drag) around to where ever you want on the screens' grid. (the App drawer, however, will always be laid out in an alphabetical grid for everybody)
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:17 PM   #215
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
The main screens can be different for everyone since you can customize them - not only different launchers (which basically replace the entire UI), but you can move icons and widgets (press & hold & drag) around to where ever you want on the screens' grid. (the App drawer, however, will always be laid out in an alphabetical grid for everybody)
Thanks. I got the screens laid out like I want them, but I just wanted to change the order of the 3 screens without moving everything on them. That's the part I can't figure out. I'm using the default launcher for the Nexus 7... maybe it can't be done. Also, is there a way to set which page it goes to first?
Old 11-30-2012, 02:52 AM   #216
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
My daughter wants me to buy her a Nexus 7 when I am in the USA next month. Looks very good, but I have read about build problems, with the screen coming up in the corner and with screen touch responsiveness (being stuck in the lock screen?). And with color fading over time (something to do with calibration, not hardware, but I don't know if it is user-fixable by a medium-techie).

I am hoping that by January, these problems will be addressed by Asus and the newer models will be better. Anyone having these issues? Trying to exchange/return a US-purchased device while in Europe would be a difficult and expensive procedure.

I wonder if I stand a better chance of a newer(best quality) model by ordering direct from Google, or by going to a retail store? If retail, what store do you recommend for easy exchanges? There are Best Buy, Office Dept, Staples and all of the big stores where I am going in Florida. I'll have a couple of weeks only to purchase and try it out and exchange it if there are problems.

Thanks for any advice!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:59 AM   #217
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
Thanks. I got the screens laid out like I want them, but I just wanted to change the order of the 3 screens without moving everything on them. That's the part I can't figure out. I'm using the default launcher for the Nexus 7... maybe it can't be done. Also, is there a way to set which page it goes to first?
I don't use the default launcher, I use Nova. Try to do a "zoom out" gesture (pinching outwards) on the home screen to see if you get all the screens at once. If so, you can then move them around. At least that's how it works on Nova and I believe also in Apex launcher.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:09 PM   #218
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
On stock Android its "zoom in" or pinch inwards to display all screens. Then you can drag one to the trash can to delete or tap on the one with a "+" sign to add a new one.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:30 PM   #219
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
On stock Android its "zoom in" or pinch inwards to display all screens. Then you can drag one to the trash can to delete or tap on the one with a "+" sign to add a new one.
Pinch inwards, indeed - my bad.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:09 PM   #220
MeSue
Geek in the Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Pinch no workie for me. Is there something else I have to enable first?
Old 12-01-2012, 10:42 AM   #221
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Has anyone found a way to replace the hideous-looking digital clock on the new lockscreen which the 4.2 update sprang on us? I'd settle for the standard analog clock widget.
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:15 PM   #222
afv011
Captain Penguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
Has anyone found a way to replace the hideous-looking digital clock on the new lockscreen which the 4.2 update sprang on us? I'd settle for the standard analog clock widget.
Just install another widget and drop it on the lock screen. I have HD widgets and replaced the default clock with the HD widget that shows time, current weather and forecast.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #223
livramax
Addict
livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.livramax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Aura HD, Galaxy Note 8, Fire HD10, Galaxy S6 Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Just install another widget and drop it on the lock screen. I have HD widgets and replaced the default clock with the HD widget that shows time, current weather and forecast.
How do you drop a widget on the lockscreen?
livramax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #224
Beryl
Enthusiast
Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Beryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldberry View Post
Nexus 7 to iPhone 4S Skype video call works fine.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #225
MeSue
Geek in the Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by livramax View Post
How do you drop a widget on the lockscreen?
That's what I would like to know. Somehow I managed to do it once, because now it shows my calendar on the lock screen. But I have no idea how I got it there and I'd rather have weather.

I gave up trying to change the order of my home screens with the stock launcher and just moved everything manually.