Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-05-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
Scot
Scot began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, TouchPad, iPad2
Is the kobo better than the PSR-505 in anyway?

I'm getting my first reader, and i'm split between a new kobo for $170cnd(total), and a used PSR-505 for the same. The seller says its in great shape, and i figure if i cant find anything wrong with it right away, the only thing that could be a issue down the road is a overused battery...

So my question: Assuming the 505 is in 'new' condition, is there any compelling reason to get a kobo over the 505? I would think the kobo being 3 years newer would give it a edge on refresh rate and processor speed, but from what i heard the kobo is severely lacking in those areas.

Thanks.
Scot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 03:55 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If this PRS-505 is three years old, I'd have serious concerns about the battery. Any 3 year old lithium ion battery is going to have lost a serious proportion of its original capacity.

The Kobo appears to have significant "issues" with its firmware at present. Other than price, is there any reason you're not considering other devices? There are many that are significantly better than either the Kobo or the PRS-505.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
Scot
Scot began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, TouchPad, iPad2
I'm in the middle of Canada, so my options are pretty limited. I can find used sony 505's and 700's, new 600's and 300's, new kobo's, new 'epaper' ones(Didnt look to much into those since i'm dead set on eink).. but thats about it. Everything has to be bought online from outside Canada.

What would you recommend that is better, in the same price range($170cnd)? I'm open to ordering online, but i have to factor in the shipping and import fees which right away make anything over $130usd end up costing more.

Oh, and the seller claims there was only a few dozen cycles put on the reader, and that it was bought less than a year ago. In my area there are half a dozen people who recently bought ipads and are selling their ereaders, which is why i'm guessing the 505 is selling at below ebay market value. Also why i'm a bit doubtful i'll find a better deal outside of my region.
Scot is offline   Reply With Quote