Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-10-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
Bluesman7
Book 'em Danno
Bluesman7 doesn't litterBluesman7 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2
PDF Conversion For Use With Kindle 2

I know that there are myriad threads regarding PDF conversion and the frustrations involved in the process so I hope you'll bear with me.

For a typical Kindle 2 owner without much technical knowledge, can you advise the following:

Which process seems to give the best results?
Since Kindle 2 can read text as well as mobi, is one conversion preferable to the other and does Calibre consistently do a better job with one format than another?

Is a multi-step process better? (Such as pdf to rtf to txt; or pdf to rtf to mobi or some other multi-step process.)

(I wouldn't ordinarily mind just loading the pdf file directly into Kindle but since you can't change the font or otherwise enlarge the display it's sometimes just too small to read comfortably.)

What settings should be modified from the default (if any) within Calibre for pdf conversions? (Any steps will be greatly appreciated.)

Currently I either use Calibre or the mobipocket reader to make conversions from pdf but thus far the results are all over the place. Some have converted well, others have a variety of issues (such as the page number and author name/title at the end of sentences or paragraphs).

I truly appreciate your patience and any assistance you can provide.
Bluesman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 09:44 AM   #2
Bluesman7
Book 'em Danno

Anybody?

Thanks again.
Advert
Old 04-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #3
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman7 View Post
Anybody?

Thanks again.
PDFs aren't really a format, they're a container which can hold images of pages, as well as various types of text. Moreover, they are primarily page-oriented to appear the same when printed or displayed on different displays, so they aren't well designed for conversion to an ebook format. All this means that there is no "best-way" to convert. It depends on what is inside the PDF. I prefer saving to text, then editing the text with a text editor and some macros, but there are probably as many different ways to handle PDFs as there are users here.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
Bluesman7
Book 'em Danno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
PDFs aren't really a format, they're a container which can hold images of pages, as well as various types of text. Moreover, they are primarily page-oriented to appear the same when printed or displayed on different displays, so they aren't well designed for conversion to an ebook format. All this means that there is no "best-way" to convert. It depends on what is inside the PDF. I prefer saving to text, then editing the text with a text editor and some macros, but there are probably as many different ways to handle PDFs as there are users here.
Thanks, Starson17. I was kind of afraid that might be the case.