Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-16-2008, 05:59 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Surreal.... Have you heard of a thing called a book

Hey folks,
Yesterday I went to my local coffee house. While sipping my coffee and reading from my PRS-505, I noticed it for the first time as part of their decor. Sitting on a self dusty and rustic was something they called a BOOK. It was made of this thing called paper, the fonts where embedded on the on the paper, no down from some sort of crude alchemy was involved.

I sat there turning the fragile pages one by one, losing myself in the ancient lore. Yet I was brought back to reality by the awkward page turning and the uncomfortable weight of this thing called a book.

After the experience I was left to wonder. Is this really HOW people use to read? How awkward! --how did they do it to read more than one book. Did they really have tote around multiple books? There was no online dictionary, not way to annotate?! Wow times where sure different

___
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 06:17 PM   #2
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I think they did have a way to annotate, but I'm not sure how. I've come across a couple of these as well, and in one, there were notes and comments in the margins, in a completely different font to the main text; in some places there were two or three different fonts with varying degrees of legibility and boldness. It was actually very annoying as I couldn't see how to easily get to a clean version of the text, and in some places it had gone all the way through and affected the legibility of the text on the other side.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-16-2008, 10:51 PM   #3
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I saw one, once. It was a long time ago and it had a colored area over some of the words that made them all fuzzy. It also smelled.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 01:56 AM   #4
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
My word. Did it have a keyboard?
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:30 AM   #5
Slite
Icanhasdonuts?
Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura 2nd edition, Kobo Clara HD
Oh yeah, I've came across one of those as well, and it was indeed annotated, in a very weird way. It had these smaller, brightly colored pieces of paper stuck to different "pages" (i think they were called) of the book. And on the smaller paperthingys who attached to the pages of the book by a strip of sticky residue people had scribbled their notes, but there seemed to be no way of erasing or changing them.

Very odd indeed....

Last edited by Slite; 10-17-2008 at 02:34 AM.
Slite is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2008, 02:33 AM   #6
GingerTez
Stroppy Ginger Scotsman
GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Hmm, I think that's very odd too. I'm sure there must have been a bit of a user problem though...

Are you sure you didn't miss a switch or button that would make it more flexible. I can understand wanting to "freeze" the contents so that nobody else can change them but there must be some way of write-enabling the contents. Even in the olden days this must have been a requirement. Perhaps it was just out of charge - was there any obvious place to insert a charging device?

Cheers,
Terry.
GingerTez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 04:13 AM   #7
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
I'm afraid I haven't. Are you sure this wasn't just a dream?
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:09 AM   #8
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I couldn't see anywhere obvious to plug a charger into the ones I saw, although it's possible it had broken off as on at least one of them, if you open it flat there was a hollow between the covers and the contents, which might once have held a rechargable battery I suppose.

Dylrob, it could've been a dream, but for all of us to dream the same thing...? That's scary
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 10:17 AM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Perhaps I can answer some of your questions. I actually own some of those Books. I display them on a wall of shelves beside another archaic reference called a Map.

You see, from what I have been able to discern, they certainly must have had a functional purpose at some time in the past. However, as you know, minerals creep in and replace the original materials. What you have discovered are, in fact, fossilized remains of primitive e-readers, with petrified screens bound together.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 11:52 AM   #10
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Thanks Dixie, that explains a lot. The one I saw had something called a "dust cover" covered with a frame from a video (it would not play and I could find no place to press to activate the video so it may have been out of power.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:15 PM   #11
radioflyertoo
Hog Rider
radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.radioflyertoo once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: HTC 7501
RWood - I think that video is really a picture. To check I went to this ancient and decrepid place called a Library which had a heavy device of many parts called an Encylopedia and within this device, which by the way required you to turn it manually since it seemed to be broken, was a discription of a Picture. Picture - a still image printed on media with ink. I went no farther since this device had primitive search function that didn't seem to operate properly. This "Library" also had many many "books" but none functioned as expected.
radioflyertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 12:35 PM   #12
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Dream probably not, though my mind was hazy. Most likely from the fumes of these fossilized readers.

No, there was no keyboard; no keypress of any sort.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 02:33 PM   #13
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I think they stop working when the batteries die and since they are made by Sony or Apple, you can't replace them. You're kind of stuck there.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:46 PM   #14
digitalzen
Connoisseur
digitalzen doesn't litterdigitalzen doesn't litterdigitalzen doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Hey folks,
Yesterday I went to my local coffee house. While sipping my coffee and reading from my PRS-505, I noticed it for the first time as part of their decor. Sitting on a self dusty and rustic was something they called a BOOK. It was made of this thing called paper, the fonts where embedded on the on the paper, no down from some sort of crude alchemy was involved.

I sat there turning the fragile pages one by one, losing myself in the ancient lore. Yet I was brought back to reality by the awkward page turning and the uncomfortable weight of this thing called a book.

After the experience I was left to wonder. Is this really HOW people use to read? How awkward! --how did they do it to read more than one book. Did they really have tote around multiple books? There was no online dictionary, not way to annotate?! Wow times where sure different

___
I recently graduated from university and I really hope they start to use ebooks soon. there seem to be so many advantages, namely the annotations--a must for college classes. plus, i would not have had to endure the wrath of my senior thesis adviser, admonishing me for dog earing my paper books. this would also reduce costs so much!
digitalzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2008, 03:57 PM   #15
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I remember one of those "books." As I recall, they could be particularly hard on the eyes. I saw one once, where the text on the leaves was printed from some vegetable-based solution, but it had not been done very well. The markings alternated from strong to faint, and often from reasonable clear to blurry and irregular. You could not adjust the brightness, contrast or focus at all. And if you held it under the wrong light, you couldn't make out the text on one side against the text on the other side (and why anyone would imprint text on two sides of a see-through display is still beyond me).
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
unutterable silliness