Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-28-2012, 09:49 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I have been using it for about a month.
The inability to switch off backlight annoys me more than other things.
Weird. If the light level is set below about "3", I'm completely unable to see the slightest different between the light being on or off in daylight. (ie when I put the Kindle to sleep, the background colour of the screen doesn't appear to me to change in the slightest.)

Guess it goes to show that we're all sensitive to different things. You must have VERY sensitive eyes to be able to actually see a light setting of "1" in daylight.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:51 AM   #17
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I have been using it for about a month.
The inability to switch off backlight annoys me more than other things.
Then perhaps you have notice that the Kindle does not have a back light - only a front light.

Under what ambient lighting conditions do you find the display lighting annoying?
If you could tell us that, perhaps we could move this thread along towards a conclusion.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2012, 11:25 AM   #18
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Well, the conclusion has already been found. See posts 1 and 6.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:49 PM   #19
fforc9e
fforc9e began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle B00E with DuoKan
Guys what about power consumption? Did anybody have seen the difference in battery life when the frontligh (:P) is off using second cron script?

Maybe you can't see the difference between front light set to 1 and without it, but battery may see. :P

Last edited by fforc9e; 12-28-2012 at 02:51 PM.
fforc9e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #20
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fforc9e View Post
Guys what about power consumption? Did anybody have seen the difference in battery life when the frontligh (:P) is off using second cron script?

Maybe you can't see the difference between front light set to 1 and without it, but battery may see. :P
Battery age and charge/discharge cycle history will make a bigger difference.
Should require laboratory tools to tell the difference.

(#3,000)
Advert
Old 12-28-2012, 03:20 PM   #21
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Problem with me is not whether or not I see the lights or not,
Problem is, that it's using needlessly battery this way.

The ability to turn it off, is vital to extended battery life.
If currently the battery lasts 8 weeks, with leds off, it might top 12 weeks.
It's not much, but it's something!
Generally, I'm against wasting energy, when it takes so little to program the device to maximize it's battery life by turning it off!

Now, granted, if they had turned off the backlight completely, but had equipped the device with an unused audio output for headphones, or a (micro) SD cardreader, that was not used, just that part would consume more battery than the leds set at intensity 1.

Nowadays it's all about numbers, and having a device work 10 weeks is better than 'only 8' weeks!
To me, it seems an inefficient way of running the device!

With the 'led off' hack, is it easy to turn it on again, or do you need to do a system reboot?

Last edited by ProDigit; 12-28-2012 at 03:24 PM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:21 PM   #22
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by fforc9e View Post

Umm, no, not a scientific method in any way. But will the few milliseconds that the device wakes up during the cronjob have any measurable effect on battery life? I doubt it.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #23
centhena
Enthusiast
centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.centhena can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I was expecting to be able to increase/decrease the light of the paperwhite.
You can increase and decrease the light on the stock paperwhite. There are 24 light settings to play with. It gets bright enough to light a dark hallway. You just can't turn it off...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
A serious question - have you used a PW?

I honestly defy you to be able to tell whether or not the light is set to "1" or is off in daylight, unless you hold the PW on edge and peer down the bezel to look at the LEDs.
I've had my PaperWhite for a week. I notice the difference. The white "paper" of the screen is noticably brighter with the light on than off. In daylight I prefer it the dimmer more muted off white of off like it is when the sleep screens are engaged.
centhena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:47 PM   #24
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
The ability to turn it off, is vital to extended battery life.
If currently the battery lasts 8 weeks, with leds off, it might top 12 weeks.
Not likely.
the leds at 1 most likely draw less than the self-discharge rate of the battery.

Try the math - its a 1500MaH battery -
The leds at "1" will not pull more that 1ma -
Now divide 1500 by the hours in 8 weeks -
minus 1 (or 2 if parniod) -
Now multiple the result back into weeks -

I.E: Not worth the trouble of doing the math. Try it yourself.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #25
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
For comparison, some batteries are known to have a longer life when powering a low-power device (such as a watch) than when sitting unused new in the box. The technical explanation for this had something to due with higher internal resistance when electrically polarized by a tiny current flow (as I recall).

In the case of lithium batteries, it does not pay to buy a spare battery for a new device. By the time you need it, the spare will likely be dead too. From personal experience, it does not work to keep both batteries charged and keep swapping them, because that tends to confuse the portable device charging algorithm so that the power meter becomes inaccurate and the batteries may not get a full charge.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #26
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Perhaps some technical tools could fix it?

twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:09 PM   #27
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Perhaps some technical tools could fix it?
Dude, it is a digital device. Wouldn't a digital hammer be more appropriate?

geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:30 PM   #28
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Dude, it is a digital device. Wouldn't a digital hammer be more appropriate?

I can see why your hammer hit more fingers than nails. You don't want to return it for warranty replacement of the camera lens, right? What about finger smears on the lens?
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:01 PM   #29
efalk
efalk began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm confused; why not just the brightness all the way down?
efalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #30
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by efalk View Post
I'm confused; why not just the brightness all the way down?
All the way down at 0 (there is 25 light levels on the PW, not the incorrect stated 24 - it got 24 bars labeled 1 through 24 plus no bar showing and nothing - lets just call that 0) the light is still visible. So even 0 is not turned off, thus draining valueable battery. The belief is (can't really be proven right or wrong), that it is much better for battery life to have it off instead of 0. So even at level 0 it supposedly wastes too much - which is utterly silly in my opinion. So it is a good question.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote