Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-04-2012, 01:44 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Kindle Collections for touch screen kindles?

I'm being sorely tempted to get one of the new Paperwhite Kindles (a gift to myself for getting a new job). Trouble is, I use the Kindle Collection Manager plugin constantly on my k3. I know that won't work with the Touch versions of the kindle.

is there any chance that, at some time in the not-too-distant-future, there will be a way to manage collections on a touch kindle from my computer?

I'm not sure whether this is a buy/no-buy gating item for me, but it's certainly important.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
On jailbroken devices, yes (it's been doable on the Touch for a while now, check the Kindle Dev forum). That would imply that, given a bit of time, it'll probably be doable on the PW.

On vanilla devices, never. (And to preserve both my sanity & temper, please don't mention kindlean to my face).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-04-2012 at 02:38 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 03:30 PM   #3
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have no idea what kindlean is, but I promise I won't mention it.

as for the other, *sigh* I was afraid of that.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

To be completely fair, moving from the crappy FAT32 userstore to a proper ext3 internal partition and a slightly more effective, if complex, backend probably accounts for the fact that, on these new devices, collections handling is slightly less likely to murder the performance of the Kindle homescreen, especially on devices with a lot of content/collections. I's at least much more tightly wound into the system, compared to the 'slapped-on' feel of the feature added on FW 2.5 and still used on 3.x & 4.x.

(Meaning I'm of the mind that the move wasn't just to piss us off, there was a legit performance concern behind it. Although, maybe not terribly well thought out, because it can effectively softbrick a Kindle on very large (~5K) libraries...).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-04-2012 at 04:20 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #5
BeccaPrice
Wizard

I'm not totally sure what you mean (my techy-geekness has severe limits), but it sounds like you're saying that it would be too difficult to set up a way to manage kindle touch collections from my computer, but the result of those changes improved performance - is that right?
Advert
Old 10-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@BeccaPrice: Potentially, and taking a few shortcuts along the way, yes .

I just want to stress that it works pretty well on a jailbroken Touch, if one wants to go that way .