Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-19-2012, 08:31 PM   #46
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
YW, I was hoping that 3M's platform would be a good Overdrive alternative. It doesn't currently appear to be the case.
Not hardly. I posted about a month ago that the New York Public Library's 3M collection (http://ebook.3m.com/library/en/nypl/) only has 21 non-fiction books, and it's still true. I do notice tonight that they have added the more or less complete works of Tom Clancy.

I found the following unpromising note dated August 24 on the Kansas State Library web site:

Quote:
We are very sorry that 3M took so long to fix this issue. Please realize that the State Library keeps records of incidents like this with a vendor, and factors deeply in our decisions when contracts are up for renewal.

Despite the tiny number of books and small number of participating libraries, the web site is slow, and about a third of the time I check, it's down

Last edited by SteveEisenberg; 09-19-2012 at 08:34 PM.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
When and where did they say they weren't allowing any new eBooks strictly because of the Kindle deal?
Quote:
In its November decision to not allow library lending of its new titles (via any vendor), Penguin had initially also targeted OverDrive’s relationship with Amazon as a particular concern, which led the company to demand that OverDrive disable the “Get for Kindle” functionality for all Penguin ebooks.

The company backed away from that demand, but the security concerns have likely never been allayed. When borrowing with a Kindle via OverDrive, the transaction essentially is removed from the public library and takes place under the terms that Amazon has worked out with OverDrive.
http://www.thedigitalshift.com/2012/...ith-overdrive/

Quote:
In addition, Penguin informed suppliers to libraries that it expected them to abide by existing agreements to offer older digital titles to libraries only if those files were held behind the firewalls of the suppliers.
http://www.thedigitalshift.com/2011/...of-new-titles/
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2012, 11:05 AM   #48
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Another example is Bob Burke's HoHoHo Mystery, where in the UK (where Bob is from), it sells for 99p, and until recently sold for $19.99 in the US. It was about a year and a half before the price was adjusted, and now sell for $1.99 in the US. The funny thing is, it was published by the same publisher in the US and UK, and it wasn't just one retailer that sold it for $1.99 (which you could chalk up to a typo).
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:13 AM   #49
Angst
Cannon Fodder
Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Angst ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle DX, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The price of the eBook will fall when the paperback is released. Just wait a few months.
Not true. The paperback price for George RR Martin's A Dance with Dragons is $11.60 while the Kindle price is still $14.99.

I'm steadfastly refusing to buy the book until the ebook price comes down.

Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #50
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post
Not true. The paperback price for George RR Martin's A Dance with Dragons is $11.60 while the Kindle price is still $14.99.

According to Amazon the $11.60 trade paperback ($18 list) comes out March 26, 2013, the same day the mass market pb comes out for $9.99 so hopefully the ebook will drop to $9.99, but you'll have to wait until March.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2012, 11:34 AM   #51
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angst View Post

No, there isn't a paperback available yet. I suspect you're looking at the one that's coming out next year.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:47 AM   #52
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
No, there isn't a paperback available yet. I suspect you're looking at the one that's coming out next year.
There is a trade paper available but it's an import. In agreement with your statement, there is no trade paper published in the US.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:49 AM   #53
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimW View Post
There is a trade paper available but it's an import. In agreement with your statement, there is no trade paper published in the US.
The $11.60 paperback that Angst refers to in his post above is not released until March next year. That's not immediately obvious when you look at Amazon, so it's an easy mistake to make.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:51 AM   #54
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
The $11.60 paperback that Angst refers to in his post above is not released until March next year. That's not immediately obvious when you look at Amazon, so it's an easy mistake to make.
Oh yes, I had to check Powell's; It indicated the trade paper originated from an International warehouse.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #55
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I wish the old trend of 'wait a year and the price comes down' was true across the board. I bought a book for 10.99 last year, and that same book is 13.99 a year and a half later. It was a stinker too, so I am disgusted by even the price I paid for it. (It wasn't a penguin book, but I keep my eyes on prices of some books to see if "price goes down" in general).

Luckily I don't have that kind of cash kicking around, so sticking with library loans instead of gambling double digits away is easy to do.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote