Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-24-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
dereksurfs
dereksurfs began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Cannot remove DRM with Calibre ignobleepub plugin

I am trying to remove DRM from a B&N ePub book I purchased and downloaded from B&N's website.

I followed the instructions from Apprentice Alf (google if needed).

After installing the plugin and importing the book into Calibre it still had DRM. So I followed the ignobleepub readme troubleshooting instructions. Here is the output:

C:\eReader\books\Larry>calibredb add 9780310426288-ePub.v4.epub
IneptEpub: Using pycrypto.
IneptEpub: Calibre configuration directory = C:\Users\Derek\AppData\Roaming\calibre
IneptEpub: Keyfile calibre-adeptkey.der found in config folder.
IneptEpub: Not an Adobe Adept Epub... punting.
IgnobleEpub: Using PyCrypto.
IgnobleEpub: Calibre configuration directory = C:\Users\Derek\AppData\Roaming\calibre
IgnobleEpub: No keyfiles found. Checking plugin customization string.
IgnobleEpub: 1 userkey(s) generated from customization data.
IgnobleEpub: Not a B&N Adept Epub... punting.

I'm thinking B&N is doing something new to circumvent DRM removal. Any ideas why the plugin scripts fail?

Thanks,

Derek

Last edited by dereksurfs; 03-24-2012 at 06:23 PM.
dereksurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
You won't get much help here removing DRM, sorry it's against the rules.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-24-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
dereksurfs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shack70 View Post
You won't get much help here removing DRM, sorry it's against the rules.
I disagree since this is where I heard about DRM removal to begin with. Here is one of many examples: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169302

That's fine if you don't want to remove them. But many do simply to be able to use the books "they" purchased in more environments. Its a pretty standard workflow via Calibre. Where does it state this in the rules?

Derek
Old 03-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I disagree since this is where I heard about DRM removal to begin with. Here is one of many examples: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=169302
There's nothing to disagree with. Going into detailed specifics of how to remove DRM is against the forum rules. As are links to websites that have DRM removal instructions/tools. This may not have always been the case in the past, but it certainly is now. General discussion about if it's possible and what to search for to find answers is acceptable. Specifics... no.

There is one post on the blog where you got the tools that is open to comments/questions and is regularly checked and advice is given. That's the appropriate place for questions about those tools.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 03-24-2012 at 04:10 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
dereksurfs

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
There's nothing to disagree with. Going into detailed specifics of how to remove DRM is against the forum rules. As are links to websites that have DRM removal instructions/tools. This may not have always been the case in the past, but it certainly is now. General discussion about if it's possible and what to search for to find answers is acceptable. Specifics... no.

There is one post on the blog where you got the tools that is open to comments/questions and is regularly checked and advice is given. That's the appropriate place for questions about those tools.
That's fine. I didn't know there was any distinction in terms of general discussions vs. instructions and the like. Since rooting and other such things are discussed openly here I wasn't aware DRM was not. If that's the case the mod can feel free to delete this post.

BTW, I downloaded the epub again from B&N and it worked the second time. So issue resolved. I also removed the link to Apprentice Alf for compliance sake.

Thanks,

Derek

Last edited by dereksurfs; 03-24-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Advert