Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-02-2009, 05:55 PM   #1
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Ebook pricing from someone who knows

Literary agent and ereads.com founder Richard Curtis blogged recently on the mysteries of ebook pricing.

He confirms some of what people suspect here, and offers a few further insights, such as the way sales work in the publishing industry. As an ebook publisher himself and an agent, he pretty much knows what he's talking about.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
I like how he ended, the razor pricing model, but I doubt Amazon will subsidize that strongly unless their DRM is very strong and they disallow you to load your own, making it literally just an Amazon.com tool.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:30 PM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Interesting article. I did note the other day that almost all of Sony's bestsellers are 11.99, but that's a good 50% off of the hardback. Actually, that was one of the things about the Sony I liked. I could buy a book in "hardcover" without sweating the price (or space on my bookshelf as much). Once you get over the $15 mark though, I'm not game. But that has little to do with ebooks, I rarely bought anything over that amount in the bookstore.

My only question though is why are there no commission based reps with ebooks? He mentions it but doesn't elaborate.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 06:41 PM   #4
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
My only question though is why are there no commission based reps with ebooks? He mentions it but doesn't elaborate.
I think I can probably answer that myself:

1) Ebooks are still a tiny share of the market, and
2) How could you make it a commission-based thing? The publishers produce the ebooks (or don't, but never mind that) and put them out through the distribution system. You wouldn't say to fictionwise (as you would to Barnes & Noble), "How many copies do you want for your initial order?"
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:34 PM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Intersting article. I have also said many times that I really don't have a problem paying the current lowest priced paperbook price for an ebook. But they certainly shouldn't cost more than that.

Also, the article states the often wrong information that Amazon "caps" ebooks at $9.99. This is flat out wrong. Amazon never said this. I should go add that to the myths and partial truths thread.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:56 PM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post

2) How could you make it a commission-based thing? The publishers produce the ebooks (or don't, but never mind that) and put them out through the distribution system. You wouldn't say to fictionwise (as you would to Barnes & Noble), "How many copies do you want for your initial order?"
Ahh gotcha.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:37 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
We understand why HC cost more then the MMPB. But that model fails when applied to eBooks. And eBook in a given format is still the same regardless of what versions are printed in paper. So why not just price it at the final end price and be done with it? The eBook is not going to change it's container.

Another peeve on the pricing of eBooks is that when an eBook is priced to fllow the HC price and the HC then becomes a MMPB a lot of eBooks don't reflect this change and then become more expensive then the current MMPB edition which makes it too expensive.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 08:52 PM   #8
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So why not just price it at the final end price and be done with it? The eBook is not going to change it's container.
Prices are not based on how much is cost to create something. They are based on supply and demand. No eBook blows out the supply issue because there is no cost to produce a copy. As many as are wanted can be made/sold.

That leaves demand. Most people that want to buy it will buy it soon after it comes out. After that less and less people will want it.

So, when the book is first released, have a HC like price. $19.99 maybe. Then after a while, maybe 6 months, drop the price. As the demand goes down drop the price. So, maybe after it has been out for 1 year it's $4.99... it will keep going down if need to keep sales going. What good is a $5 price if no one buys it. If people will buy it at $3 that's better. Remember, this is an ebook... there is no duplication cost (other than basic infrascture). Heck a 1TB hard drive will have hundreds of thousands of titles.

BOb
Old 03-02-2009, 08:59 PM   #9
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post

Not to mention the opinion of many that DRMed ebooks are actually "rented" from eretailers as opposed to actually being "purchased". How do you pay out a "sales" commission on a "rented" product?

Kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:02 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i am just dreaming of the day some publisher finally decides to adopt the "give the razor away for free to sell the blades" model with ebooks.

in the meantime, their experimentations with prices are driving me crazy. seems like their working idea is "how much can we gouge them for ?" most of the time (with a few notable exceptions)...
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:03 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i am just dreaming of the day some publisher finally decides to adopt the "give the razor away for free to sell the blades" model with ebooks.
There are razors in ebooks?

BOb
Old 03-02-2009, 09:04 PM   #12
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
We understand why HC cost more then the MMPB. But that model fails when applied to eBooks. And eBook in a given format is still the same regardless of what versions are printed in paper. So why not just price it at the final end price and be done with it? The eBook is not going to change it's container.
It almost seems as if they are taking their pricing model from technology companies where the initial costs of a new type of technology reflect the R&D costs. A new book hits the market - price it high. Once the market has been saturated and publishing costs are recouped - price it low.

Kaz
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:06 PM   #13
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
There are razors in ebooks?

BOb
yes : be very careful how you manipulate them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post
It almost seems as if they are taking their pricing model from technology companies where the initial costs of a new type of technology reflect the R&D costs. A new book hits the market - price it high. Once the market has been saturated and publishing costs are recouped - price it low.

Kaz
it does seem that way, and to some extent i think you may be right (it's a new media more than a new technology, but still, they're just feeling their way trying to figure out how to set it up) the problem is the same costs don't really apply, and the fabrication costs are virtually nil after the initial creation cost (which is fixed) so it's pretty abusive of them to charge such high prices. they're not engraved on gold chips, criminy !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:08 PM   #14
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post

in the meantime, their experimentations with prices are driving me crazy. seems like their working idea is "how much can we gouge them for ?" most of the time (with a few notable exceptions)...

Couldn't agree more, the prices on Haruki Murakami novels available at BooksonBoard are schizophrenic. $18 for Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman. $10 for Vintage Murakami. I can't see how that makes any sense at all.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 09:11 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazbates View Post

Kaz
Actually, perhaps the Technology companies took their pricing model from publishers. Publishers have been doing this for a lot longer than most technology companies have existed. Publishers advance authors, pay editors, pay for promotion, initial set up and generally reap this back in the higher price of initial release. Printing a book is really a small part of the costs once the setup is paid for.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote