Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-14-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
App alerts... wouldn't it be great....

The app store (iOS and OSX) is so unfriendly... you see an app name, category, and a rating, but NO Description. To really see what an app is you need to click on each and every app to see the descrip, what a pain.

Wouldn't it be great if you could get an email, tweet, rss, notifier when a new app hit the store? Complete with description!

Wouldn't it be great if you could subscribe to only certain categories?

Wouldn't it be great if you could download delimited "app index" text files from the app stores to open in Bento, Filemaker, Numbers, pages? (these delimited files would have app name, category, full description, etc.)

How do YOU keep up with all the new app releases?
How do YOU find out about apps that might be of interest to you?

(I just learned of "Alfred" and "Popclip" (OSX) and I love them both...what others are out there that I don't know aobut?)

1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:46 PM   #2
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I LOVE Alfred and Popclip (I know I'm over the top enthusiastic most of the time around here, but really, I love all the stuff I use, hahaha), both great apps. You should check out Two Dollar Tuesday, I got Popclip during their special.

If you're really into your apps on OS X, I recommend Bartender. It's a bit pricey, but it will help you organize and hide all the junk that a lot of apps leave all over your menubar. A GREAT program. It's not in the App Store though.

Just the stuff I have in my dock, not all in the store:

Espresso - A web editor, really like that you can edit the CSS in real-time and has X-ray, so you can see which elements are causing what issues
Day One - Cool journal app, have it for iOS too
Marked - Markdown previewer which lets me use whatever editor I want to write it with
Evernote - For my notes
Pocket - Save articles for later
Scrivener - GREAT software for writers who want to do everything in one program
Courier - A little program that lets me multi upload stuff to Facebook/Flickr/etc
Favs - Kinda like a reader app, but for stuff you favorite on social sites
Firetask - Project/task management

CloudApp is great for getting stuff quickly uploaded too, and I use Living Earth for displaying current weather conditions on my menu. It has a beautiful interface too.

As for how I keep up with releases? Well, MacRumors is my preferred Apple related site. A lot of developers post around those parts, and that's actually where I saw Kris that makes Marvin for the iPad first post it about it. 9to5Mac, Cult of Mac, Macgasm and RazorianFly are also all very good.

MacUpdate is pretty good too. They catalog just about every piece of Mac software ever made and give you links where to get them, whether it be in the Mac App Store or on the developer's website.

Last edited by Jessica Lares; 01-14-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #3
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, I've used MacUpdate for years but I have never forced myself to check it daily, just when I'm looking for something. They do have a nice daily summary so I guess that if I could force myself to check it daily for both OSX and iOS that would pretty much give me what I'm whining about....
Old 01-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
lostknitter
lostknitter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2, nook
Appsgonefree has apps that are free daily, usually marked down to $0 for a day. Have found some nice apps that way.
lostknitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
Wickedkitten
Wickedkitten began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
I use appshopper and appzapp pro
Wickedkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #6
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedkitten View Post
I use appshopper and appzapp pro
I use the app shopper website to keep tabs on specials and price reductions. I dont think I would want to get an alert for every new app, geez, there are thousands.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:06 PM   #7
Wickedkitten
Wickedkitten began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I use the app shopper website to keep tabs on specials and price reductions. I dont think I would want to get an alert for every new app, geez, there are thousands.
Nah, I just browse through the new ones, but I do have a wish list set up for ones I actually want. Luckily I've had the app for ages so it just pushes them through
Wickedkitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Thumbs down

The AppStore is a mess and a disgrace, especially the monumentally inane geographical isolation it practices. I can never see any app reviews and ratings except from my own tiny country, which makes them next to useless. Neither would anyone outside my own tiny country see my app review if I bothered to write one. Apple should be ashamed.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:34 PM   #9
1611mac
eWanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
The AppStore is a mess and a disgrace, especially the monumentally inane geographical isolation it practices. I can never see any app reviews and ratings except from my own tiny country, which makes them next to useless. Neither would anyone outside my own tiny country see my app review if I bothered to write one. Apple should be ashamed.
Heartily Agreed...
Old 01-14-2013, 11:13 PM   #10
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh yeah, it's a huge mess, although that has always been the case. the Mac portion of it anyway. Apple used to have a website section especially for third-party downloads, and I never liked using it. When the original iPhone came out, they had that kind of system for web apps too. It was very ugly.

Chomp has to be the worst integrated product ever. I really want them to go back to the old format.
Old 01-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #11
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post

Chomp has to be the worst integrated product ever. I really want them to go back to the old format.
Chomp was a waste of effort. useless. IMO of course so YMMV. I had the first version and did not like it at all. deleted and never redownloaded.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #12
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
I like Appshopper. I wrote a bit about it here: http://www.geekintheforest.com/ios-apps-free/

Yes, the App Store since iOS 6 is horrible.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #13
Jessica Lares
Wizard

Developers have actually blamed the new store UI for loss of revenue in the last year.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:02 PM   #14
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
It's not (only) about the new store UI. The old store is extremely bad as well, although it appears Apple managed to make it even worse.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:42 AM   #15
Jessica Lares
Wizard

I think there are many reasons for the geography separation though.