Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 06-19-2012, 03:29 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Kindle, Audible apps not launching

I pulled out my PE (running Froyo) a few days ago and tried to run Kindle for Android (latest version). It dies after the splash screen. Similarly with Audible. Tried uninstall/reinstall, no luck. Is anyone running these apps, and if so what version? I didn't try many other apps to see if they still launch, might be some issue with the OS.

Amazon AppStore says both apps are compatible, and they used to run fine, at least with earlier versions. The AppStore app still runs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 04:26 PM   #2
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
Just go back to the last version that worked for you. The PE and EE are somewhat picky about what will and won't run because of the hardware.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 10:44 AM   #3
songoffire
songoffire began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
Confirmed, I had the same problem with the Kindle app (Crashes about 2 seconds after launch). Resolved the issue by downloading the version 3.3.0.405 of the Kindle app from http://www.apktops.com/kindle-3-3-0-405.html last night. Works great now, hope this helps!
songoffire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 03:59 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by songoffire View Post
Confirmed, I had the same problem with the Kindle app (Crashes about 2 seconds after launch). Resolved the issue by downloading the version 3.3.0.405 of the Kindle app from http://www.apktops.com/kindle-3-3-0-405.html last night. Works great now, hope this helps!
Ok, thanks! I suppose the Audible app has a similar solution. I wonder if it is worth reporting to Amazon. It would be nice if they could get the current version working again 'as advertised'.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
tarvoke
Dog Dentist
tarvoke began at the beginning.

Device: PE, GT540, VM670, GOGHVMU, Qualcomm 1600
just as a warning to others: crashes/freezes on newer versions of the Kindle app have been bad enough that twice already my PE got stuck in boot loop and the only fix was to re-flash it. (it's possible that it was something else e.g. Google Books that crashed the PE and corrupted whatever memory gets it stuck in the boot loop, but I am fairly positive it was nothing other than Kindle)

thank you songoffire for the call on 3.3.0.405 version, I'll give that a try (as soon as I re-flash to a usable state, ha) and hopefully not have to do the same crash/loop/re-flash again.
tarvoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #6
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Ok, thanks! I suppose the Audible app has a similar solution. I wonder if it is worth reporting to Amazon. It would be nice if they could get the current version working again 'as advertised'.
When I said go back to one that worked before that was based on the observation that the newer versions have been developed to work on newer versions of Android. If they use calls that are not available on our version of Android they can never work.

Anyway, if the old version works why change it?
Old 07-02-2012, 10:39 AM   #7
tarvoke
Dog Dentist

yes, when I was debugging kindle and google books with catlog, that's exactly what I saw, there was an unsupported UI call in each app that was causing the freezes/crashes.

the reason for changing the old version, even if it works, is the usual/obvious: one would imagine newer version has bug fixes, better performance, added features, etc.

what is not obvious, but more like puzzling, is why in google market/play, when they generally seem to do a good job matching app versions to device signature (sometimes a little too good... I'm sure we've all seen an app we know just works fine "disappear" from market) - why they would allow newer app versions with additional/incompatible API calls that are known to be unavailable on a given device/version, to be displayed as compatible for that device/version.

(although in this case, the very latest kindle app and google books app work just fine on my 2.2 phone - so it's more likely that Ermine is still not quite complete version of 2.2 even though it presents that signature)
Old 07-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
tarvoke
Dog Dentist

re-flashed (again... 3rd time now) with golden allmine, and installed Kindle 3.3.0.405 from apktops.

confirmed - it is working well so far!
Old 07-06-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
songoffire

Glad to hear you got it all sorted out Tarvoke! I will let you know if I find a way to safely update the Kindle App, I can confirm that the latest version is working fine on my Android 2.2 phone so maybe some quirk with the build.prop?
Old 07-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
ivanjt
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by songoffire View Post
Glad to hear you got it all sorted out Tarvoke! I will let you know if I find a way to safely update the Kindle App, I can confirm that the latest version is working fine on my Android 2.2 phone so maybe some quirk with the build.prop?
Just remember the PE is not a phone and our version of 2.2 has been modified to run on our devices that don't have a lot of the hardware a phone does.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:25 PM   #11
Michealj
Michealj began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Thank you for the info and link to a working Kindle app.

Micheal
Michealj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:49 AM   #12
songoffire

You are welcome Michealj, I am glad I could help =)
Old 08-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #13
dee_castile
dee_castile began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe
THANK YOU. Kindle is working again for me now as well.
dee_castile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 02:27 PM   #14
Niamb
Niamb began at the beginning.

How to install the app

I guess I always use the Amazon app store, so I didn't know how to install this version of the Kindle program after I downloaded it. I had to find it first. Go to applications and look for Device Storage. Click on Internal Storage.
Click on Downloads. Click on Kincle_3.3.0.405.apk. I thought this might be helpful for folks who don't know where to look for downloads on their PocketeDGe.
Niamb is offline   Reply With Quote