Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-31-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
m0ngr31
Connoisseur
m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
ASIN info

So I keep playing with the idea of having a script automatically update a facebook or twitter status with the progress of a book being read...

I've been digging through the logs on the kindle and this is what I've found so far:
Code:
cat /var/log/messages |grep INFO
101231:170557 cvm[13183]: I Reader:BOOK INFO:book asin=B001B5VPXY,file size=103256,file last mod date=2010-09-22 17.57.10 -0700,content type=ebook,length=MobiPosition_ 115814,access=2010-12-31 16.24.08 -0700,last read position=MobiPosition_ 115179,isEncrypted=false,isSample=false,isNew=false,isTTSMetdataPresent=false,isTTSMetadataAllowed=true,fileExtn=azw:
It shows the progress of the book I'm reading. It's easy to find the percentage of it by taking (last read position/length). The only thing I have a problem with is that some of the books on my kindle are mobi files that I didn't download from Amazon. So obviously they aren't going to have the asin= variable in there.

Take for instance Catcher in the Rye (which isn't available for Kindle, but I don't feel bad about having an ebook of it since I have a paperback copy):
Code:
101231:171058 cvm[13183]: I Reader:BOOK INFO:book asin=unknown,file size=343348,file last mod date=2010-10-01 00.24.46 -0700,content type=ebook,length=MobiPosition_ 488220,access=2010-12-31 17.05.54 -0700,last read position=MobiPosition_ 265449,isEncrypted=false,isSample=false,isNew=false,isTTSMetdataPresent=false,isTTSMetadataAllowed=true,fileExtn=mobi:
Now it won't send my progress to amazon (even if I have the same file on my MBP for instance, I have to find my progress everytime I read on my Kindle and vice versa). So my question is this... If I was able to put an asin number into the meta info of the mobi file (would be B000JDXJ4C for Catcher in the Rye), do you think it would sync between my devices or not?

I'm guessing not, but I had to ask.
m0ngr31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:31 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
If I was able to put an asin number into the meta info of the mobi file (would be B000JDXJ4C for Catcher in the Rye), do you think it would sync between my devices or not?

I'm guessing not, but I had to ask.
If it's not an an ebook asin, I just don't know, but it's worth a shot.
I know syncing works (furthest page read only) for non-amazon ebooks that amazon happens to sell (if you tweak a couple of EXTH records).
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...-Amazon_eBooks
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:37 PM   #3
m0ngr31
Connoisseur
m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.m0ngr31 could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

That's amazing... Too bad I have a mac haha. Time to fire up VirtualBox
Old 01-01-2011, 12:21 AM   #4
m0ngr31
Connoisseur

So I was able to change the ASIN number through that program. It reflected on the kindle properly:
Code:
[root@kindle root]# cat /var/log/messages |grep INFO
101231:221447 cvm[3421]: I Reader:BOOK INFO:book asin=B000JDXJ4C,file size=343380,file last mod date=2010-12-31 15.05.34 -0700,content type=ebook,length=MobiPosition_ 488220,access=2010-12-31 22.12.01 -0700,last read position=MobiPosition_ 265406,isEncrypted=false,isSample=false,isNew=false,isTTSMetdataPresent=false,isTTSMetadataAllowed=true,fileExtn=mobi:
Didn't sync to the computer though. Must be because it's not in the Kindle store. I wonder what would happen if I started just giving it random numbers of books that are in the store...
Old 01-01-2011, 12:24 AM   #5
m0ngr31
Connoisseur

Nope, I lied... It actually worked. I had to just put the updated mobi file in the My Kindle Content Folder instead of just trying to open it.

So apparently it doesn't have to be an ASID number in the Kindle Store to work!
Old 01-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #6
m0ngr31
Connoisseur

I promise this will be the last time I talk to myself, but I did it with another classic not in the Kindle Store: To Kill a Mockingbird. I just gave it the ASID number found on amazon.com under books and it syncs like a champ now.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:56 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm beginning to suspect that you could insert the asin number of a toaster that Amazon sells and it would still work.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
m0ngr31
Connoisseur

If I get a chance today I'll give it a shot
Old 01-01-2011, 01:18 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
So it looks like you both are saying as long as some kind of ASIN number is inserted into the metadata, the book will sync? This gets more exciting by the day!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 01:29 PM   #10
m0ngr31
Connoisseur

I've only tried legit amazon ASIN numbers, but both have worked great!
Old 01-01-2011, 03:12 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u
So it looks like you both are saying as long as some kind of ASIN number is inserted into the metadata, the book will sync? This gets more exciting by the day!
It's looking that way. m0ngr31 has used the ASIN of physical books (non-Kindle) that Amazon sells and is still able to sync between devices. I haven't tried it yet.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:25 PM   #12
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by m0ngr31 View Post
I promise this will be the last time I talk to myself, but I did it with another classic not in the Kindle Store: To Kill a Mockingbird. I just gave it the ASID number found on amazon.com under books and it syncs like a champ now.
Where did you find a copy of To Kill a Mockingbird in ebook format. I just bought the physical book cause I couldn't find it in ebook form. Would love to be able to read it on my Kindle.

Thanks,
Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 04:05 PM   #13
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It's looking that way. m0ngr31 has used the ASIN of physical books (non-Kindle) that Amazon sells and is still able to sync between devices. I haven't tried it yet.
I think I have the perfect test book. I got a freebie from B&N but it is only sold as a pbook on Amazon. I'll give it a try.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:20 PM   #14
CarlBullock
CarlBullock began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
This is cool =]
CarlBullock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 05:11 PM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Big old honkin' karma to you mongr31! I tried using an ASIN of a book version and it works! I'm going to post the results in the "Sideloading and Whispersync" thread in a few minutes.

Last edited by daffy4u; 01-01-2011 at 05:26 PM.