Notices

Old 09-03-2009, 08:01 PM   #1
Alan Baxter
Connoisseur
Alan Baxter doesn't litterAlan Baxter doesn't litter

Device: Laptop for now, iPhone soon.
RealmShift and MageSign, dark fantasy ebooks

Hi all

I thought I ought to do the shameless self-promotion thing while I was here and mention my books. I have two dark fantasy novels available in print and ebook, including Kindle editions at Amazon and Kindle-friendly format editions at Smashwords. Also, both books have recently been reduced to just $2.89 each.

The first book is RealmShift and the sequel is MageSign. Some reviews have included comments like "an inventive and action-packed story", "a gripping, thought-provoking tale", "entertaining and thought-provoking", "a novel I am loath to put down. A most surprising read. Quite a ride", "fast-paced and engrossing" for RealmShift and "a fast-paced ride through a visceral reality", "a fast paced supernatural adventure that will leave readers rethinking how they view the Cosmos", "a gritty tale of blood rituals, mystery, and mysticism… grabs hold of the reader and doesn’t let go", "fantastic qualities … horrific at times... I highly recommend it", "Don’t let fear of Yath-vados stand between you and a great read!" for MageSign.

At my website where you can learn a lot more, as well as read the first three chapters of both books for free to see what you think. There's also a bunch of reviews over there as well as lots of other examples of my writing along with my blog. http://www.alanbaxteronline.com

I'm always happy to chat about my work, so if you do have a read, reply here or drop me a line and let me know what you think.
Alan Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 02:15 AM   #2
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
I've just gone for a ride on the rollercoaster that is RealmShift!

We have 3 stories running alongside each other, and I can't pick my favourite. They all held my interest and I couldn't wait to pick up the book again when life and sleep interrupted my reading.

When the 3 stories collide in the climax towards the end of the book, I was reading fast and furious, eating up the words, absolutely focussed on what was happening, right there with the characters.

Alan, I'm trying not to believe in that unmentionable place full of horrors, but you made it so believable. It was horrifying. I had cold shivers reading some parts of the book, brr.

Plenty of horror and fantasy, throw in some religion, sci-fi and history, and you have RealmShift. Wow! This book was worth every cent and more.

As soon as I'd finished RealmShift, I started MageSign. I want to keep reading about Isiah.

Thanks, Alan! What a great book!
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2009, 02:29 AM   #3
Alan Baxter
Connoisseur

Wow, that's really kind of you to say - I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed the book. I hope you like MageSign as much if not more.

There's nothing better for a writer than to hear a reader say things like that. Thank you!
Old 09-19-2009, 02:31 AM   #4
Alan Baxter
Connoisseur

In fact, you'd be doing me a great service if you'd post those same comments in any of the review sites like Amazon or Smashwords. Nothing works better for an author than word of mouth.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:14 AM   #5
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Amazon won't let me post a review, as I've never bought from them (you have to purchase something/anything to review a book there).

But Smashwords, yep, I love Smashwords and I've done a few reviews there. I'm heading over there now...

I mentioned in another thread that I also enjoyed your free short story very much. I love sci-fi and the theme of travelling "A Verse full of Scum" was great. I'm waiting impatiently for you to write a sequel to that one - I want more about Ghost, please!

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32351

That's what got me reading RealmShift, although they're very different types of story (sci-fi for Verse and umm dark horror err religion umm fantasy - it's very hard to classify RealmShift). Anyway, both very enjoyable and thought-provoking books.
Advert
Old 09-19-2009, 04:24 AM   #6
Alan Baxter
Connoisseur

I remember the thread where you talked about Ghost Of The Black. I do plan more in the series, but finding time to write is hard. Sorry! They will come.

Reviews at Smashwords would be awesome, thank you.

By the way, you say it's hard to classify RealmShift and that's something I've come across a lot. I tend to refer to my novels as dark fantasy because they're not really fantasy or urban fantasy or magic realism or horror, etc. but they do contain elements of all those things. I tell people, when they ask, that I'm a dark speculative fiction writer. But I usually have to clarify that further anyway... *sigh*

Old 10-10-2009, 07:49 PM   #7
Alan Baxter
Connoisseur

For anyone interested, the Amazon Kindle editions of RealmShift and MageSign are now both available again, priced at $2.89 each.

RealmShift

MageSign

Old 10-11-2009, 01:19 AM   #8
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I just bought both at Smashwords and have them in the TBR list for this winter. I loved Ghost of the Black : A Verse Full of Scum, and I am looking forward to both of your other books.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:30 AM   #9
Alan Baxter
Connoisseur

That's great - thanks very much! I hope you enjoy them. Be sure to let me know what you think. And reviews are always good to help spread the word.
Old 11-27-2009, 06:47 PM   #10
cbell
Frenetic

I've finished MageSign and I wrote a review at Smashwords (I love Smashwords!).

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1072

extract... "I shivered whenever a realmshift happened and I was running alongside the characters throughout the book. To be there sharing in their adventures was truly being 'lost in a book' - my favourite way to pass time."

Another awesome book! Bring them on, Alan!
Old 11-29-2009, 04:38 AM   #11
Alan Baxter
Connoisseur

Hey cbell - that's a great review, thank you! I'm very glad you enjoyed it. And thanks for taking the time to review it.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:40 AM   #12
Alan Baxter
Connoisseur

Incidentally, which bit made you gasp out loud? I'm quite proud to have ellicited a reaction like that! (You can allude to it or pm if it would mean spoilers otherwise).
Old 11-29-2009, 05:14 PM   #13
cbell
Frenetic

Hi Alan, it's what you did to Isiah!

I couldn't believe that could happen to him and I didn't want it to happen - it was horrific and I just had to keep reading...
Old 11-29-2009, 05:28 PM   #14
Alan Baxter
Connoisseur

Ah yes. Excellent. That worked exactly as planned then!

Old 11-29-2009, 05:47 PM   #15
cbell
Frenetic

What you did was shocking. You wrote the unimaginable. I was horrified, but I just couldn't stop reading. It was wonderful!

And... you redeemed yourself with Gabriel. I was always tied to the book whenever Gabriel was around. He's an incredible character, second only to Isiah!