Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-09-2009, 12:51 PM   #1
toolio
Enthusiast
toolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony Reader/IPAQ 210/Ipod Touch
Recent newsfeed EPUB problems. Anyone else?

Hi all,

In the past week or so I've been having all kinds of problems with news recipes that I hadn't had before. For example: Wall Street Journal (subscription) process won't even start (error message); Barron's downloads only headlines, no article text; the Economist won't start and displays an error message.

All have worked for me successfully in the past, and converted well to EPUB format for my Sony reader. Now I have problems with the latest Caliber version as well as older versions that used to work just fine. I have three different versions installed on three computers, and have experimented with all.

Thanks.
toolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 12:58 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
If you're looking for help, you need to post the error messages/job log
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2009, 08:57 PM   #3
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
I have no idea if this is in any way related, but I just installed 5.0, and the following error has popped up a couple of times for no apparent reason (i.e., it did not seem to be in response to my attempting a job):

'QEvent' object does not support indexing
Detailed traceback:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "calibre\utils\genshi\template\directives.pyo" , line 136, in _assign
TypeError: 'QEvent' object does not support indexing

I did look at one book in the viewer in two different formats, and I saw this error twice, so maybe there was a connection (though I didn't see the msg appear in sequence). Maybe I just didn't notice it right away.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:00 PM   #4
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unrelated, except that it's about a newsfeed I want in EPUB:

I did a download of New Scientist into EPUB, and it contained a number of incomplete articles (as the NS website does, unless you're a subscriber). But I am a subscriber. Is there a way for me to run that download so that it logs me in as a subscriber?

Thanks.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:05 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
I have no idea if this is in any way related, but I just installed 5.0, and the following error has popped up a couple of times for no apparent reason (i.e., it did not seem to be in response to my attempting a job):

Detailed traceback:

I did look at one book in the viewer in two different formats, and I saw this error twice, so maybe there was a connection (though I didn't see the msg appear in sequence). Maybe I just didn't notice it right away.
Wow that's a strange error. Can't think of what might cause it. If you see it again let me know.
Advert
Old 03-09-2009, 09:07 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Unrelated, except that it's about a newsfeed I want in EPUB:

I did a download of New Scientist into EPUB, and it contained a number of incomplete articles (as the NS website does, unless you're a subscriber). But I am a subscriber. Is there a way for me to run that download so that it logs me in as a subscriber?

Thanks.
The New Scientists recipe in calibre doesn't support subscriptions. You should post in the custom recipes thread and hopefully kiklop74, the author of the recipe will add support for subscriptions, if you give him your account information for testing
Old 03-09-2009, 09:13 PM   #7
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Will do. (Both.)
Old 03-10-2009, 01:47 AM   #8
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Quote:

Detailed traceback:
Just got it again. Happened when I deleted a book from the library. (It was a book that I had two epub copies of, which might have been a factor.)
Old 03-10-2009, 02:09 AM   #9
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Happened again, as I was paging through my library.

Detailed traceback:
Old 03-10-2009, 02:12 AM   #10
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Belay that. It wasn't when I was paging. It was when I moved the mouse toward the Output selection, where I was going to change from epub to lrf. It's easily reproducible on my Win XP machine. Just move the mouse toward the Output selection area.

Okay, I restarted Calibre and it quit happening. I'll let you know if it crops up again.
Old 03-10-2009, 01:18 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Is you calibre content server running and if it is can you turn it off and see if that stops these QEvent errors
Old 03-10-2009, 01:27 PM   #12
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver

Content server was not running. And now it's not happening. I'll ping you if I see it again.
Old 03-10-2009, 02:19 PM   #13
toolio
Enthusiast
toolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-bookstoolio has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If you're looking for help, you need to post the error messages/job log
I wasn't really looking for help so much as being curious to know whether others were having the same problem. I wrote the message on the go, so I didn't have access to errors/logs.

However, I have since tried to repeat the problems with the newest version of Caliber. Seems that The Economist and the Wall Street Journal are now working fine. But Barron's just produces headlines in very large type and no stories. There are no errors associated with the file--it appears to download and complete, but upon reading there is no text under the headlines.

Thanks, and keep up the good work!
Old 03-10-2009, 02:20 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I'll take a look at the barrons download if you send me your account details
Old 03-14-2009, 11:12 AM   #15
toolio
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I'll take a look at the barrons download if you send me your account details
I seemed to have solved the problem by changing the fonts in the configuration of calibre's viewing program. Suddenly all the text below the headlines appears, and the missing text also appears when transferred to the reader. It doesn't seem to matter which font I change it to, as long as I change it. Otherwise the area below headlines, where text of stories should be, is blank.