Notices

Old 04-07-2013, 04:25 AM   #1
el_rico
el_rico began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Arc
Question JB update not showing up

Hello,

First, please excuse my poor English...

Second, my question. I now have a Kobo Arc (but will still use my "old" Kobo for novels!) and I initialized it 2 days ago. It first applied an update (270 or 280 Mb, I cannot remember exactly), but my device is still running Android 4.0.4.

Since then, the update to JB 4.1.1 has never been proposed and when I go to Parameters | About | Check for update (rough translation from the French UI I'm using), it claims that it is up to date!

Is it normal (maybe Kobo is delaying part of the devices to avoid overloading their server)? If not, what can I do, what can I check? (BTW, normal Internet access, just behind my router I manage with just NAT).

Also, I'm not sure I should update when reading this thread. When it works, what is the best way to do the update? Factory reset then update, update the factory reset?

Thanks!
el_rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #2
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_rico View Post
First, please excuse my poor English...
This is the Internet. Poor English is the norm. And, like many who have English as a second language, your English is better than what typically comes out of native English speakers these days.

Quote:
Since then, the update to JB 4.1.1 has never been proposed and when I go to Parameters | About | Check for update (rough translation from the French UI I'm using), it claims that it is up to date!
I had to hit the "Check Now" button a couple of times when the the update was first released to get it to acknowledge and start updating. Just going to the update screen was not enough.

Quote:
Also, I'm not sure I should update when reading this thread. When it works, what is the best way to do the update? Factory reset then update, update the factory reset?
I would suggest downloading an alternate launcher (Nova Launcher is my preference), then triggering the update. If you are one of the unlucky ones who end up having Tapestries constantly crash on you (like I am), you will still be able to easily access stuff and can then do a factory reset - assuming, of course, you don't end up preferring the alternate launcher and stick with that.

And, if you do decide to factory reset, you'll have the alternate launcher ready just in case it turns out that the reset doesn't fix the problem.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
With my wife's Arc the update did not appear until I turned her tablet off and back on.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #4
el_rico

Thanks for your answers. I've rebooted and tried many times to check for an update without success so far. Maybe a server is down during this week-end: I'll try again tomorrow and I'll report here!

I've installed Nova launcher and I'm ready for the update (I won't miss the random suggestions!)
Old 04-08-2013, 01:00 AM   #5
Forgetful
Forgetful began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Arc and Mini. Nexus 10
Kobo have pulled the Jelly Bean update at the moment due to problems with Google Movies.
I've been told if you have updated your device already it should be fine but there is a hold on this update being pushed to current devices at present.
Forgetful is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2013, 03:14 AM   #6
Misha.Choco
Misha.Choco began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forgetful View Post
Kobo have pulled the Jelly Bean update at the moment due to problems with Google Movies.
I've been told if you have updated your device already it should be fine but there is a hold on this update being pushed to current devices at present.
Thank you very much for that information! I returned my Kobo Arc 32 Go to
get the Kobo Arc 64 Go today then tried to update it but it wouldn't work. I was starting to think I was going nuts...

I hope they Will find a solution quickly!

Last edited by Misha.Choco; 04-08-2013 at 03:26 AM.
Misha.Choco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:52 AM   #7
el_rico

OK, so let's wait. Maybe a direct jump to 4.2.2?!

This information should be pinned on this forum.

Problem is that after 2 complete days, I have at least one reason to upgrade: Wifi sometimes get stuck (Wifi link is up, but nothing is transferred or at an extremely low speed).

Thanks!
Old 04-08-2013, 08:02 AM   #8
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
Quote:
where did you read this
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:32 AM   #9
Dangze
Enthusiast
Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Kobo Arc 32Go
Quote:
Let's dream of a new update where the layout is changed back to the good "old" one (clock and other notifications in lower right corner) !...
Mr KOBO, if you read me...
Dangze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
Forgetful
Forgetful began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Arc and Mini. Nexus 10
I was informed through one of the retailers that sell Kobos.
Forgetful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #11
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I was informed through one of the retailers that sell Kobos.
Thanks
Old 04-09-2013, 08:31 AM   #12
el_rico

That would be great to have some kind of "official" acknowledgement though...
Old 04-09-2013, 09:22 AM   #13
stevov
Groupie

Every time I go to customer support faq and select arc and ask a question it takes me to Kobo glo.if they can't get their own website right what chance have you got.

Last edited by stevov; 04-09-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:38 AM   #14
el_rico

Well, you know better than I do, I'm a newcomer! It seems that at least one person from Kobo comes to this forum, so, maybe?

They should definitely release the source code; I really do not understand why they don't. Also, having only an OTA process for updating (and no possible downgrade) makes me a bit anxious for the future...
Old 04-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #15
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_rico View Post
Well, you know better than I do, I'm a newcomer! It seems that at least one person from Kobo comes to this forum, so, maybe?

They should definitely release the source code; I really do not understand why they don't. Also, having only an OTA process for updating (and no possible downgrade) makes me a bit anxious for the future...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...71#post2478171

Kobo-Robin is offline   Reply With Quote