Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-07-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Android overtakes iOS in U.S. smartphone subscribers, sets target on RIM.

Well most of us knew this would happen, but did we expect it so fast.

Here is the story...

Quote:
Analytics company comScore has published its quarterly report on U.S. mobile subscribers for the three month period ending in November of 2010. What’s notable on the report? Google’s Android mobile operating system has surpassed Apple’s iOS in the number of U.S. based smartphone subscribers for the first time with 26% of the market — iOS has 25%. With iOS just in its rearview mirror, Android has only one adversary left: Research In Motion. RIM currently holds 33.5% of the pie, ... (more..)
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:04 PM   #2
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
This doesn't surprise me. Android is a great OS and keeps getting better, with more apps and devs jumping onto the platform. Plus, you have such a great choice of devices in terms of size, carrier, form factor -- you can get an Android device with a hard key or virtual keyboard, for example.

It's only going to continue to grow with the tablets that are coming out this year.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2011, 03:11 PM   #3
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I made the switch this past year. I got the iPhone when it first came out and right up through it's 3Gs model. but at the time it was really the only game in town for consumers who didn't want a Blackberry.

Once the high end Android's came out with the ability to customize, having outputs such as HDMI's, and all the other goodies that the Anroid OS brings that the iOS (apple) just does not. True multitasking, much better notification for texting and emails. Not to mention the larger screens. I could go on.

I liked my iPhone but I love my Droid.

As it stand right now, Android OS(the high end ones) is better than the iPhone.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:19 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It can only be to the benefit of consumers to have two such excellent platforms as iOS and Android. They feed off each other; it's a win-win situation for everyone. I'm very happy with my iPhone, but I'm delighted to see Android doing so well.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
It doesn't surprise me. I've had my Galaxy S for a month now and it still surprises and delights me. I've no idea whether the iPhone can do this as well (it probably can), but the other day I found that by typing the first few characters of the postcode of the person I was visiting, the navigation program popped up that person's address from my contacts and mapped out the route with GPS voice navigation enabled.

That was one of those future shock moments for me. As was speaking to the phone and telling it that I wanted to be shown the way to Wakefield Theatre.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2011, 03:44 PM   #6
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Android is nice, so is iOS and, surprisingly, so is the new Windows Phone 7. The smart phone market is going to be a LOT larger than the PC market. I do not see consolidation down to a 90% player like happened with windows.

Keep in mind too, that the iPhone is only available on AT&T. That should be changing soon.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:29 PM   #7
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Interesting that the US still has only AT&T... in the UK, there have been multiple suppliers for some time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Keep in mind too, that the iPhone is only available on AT&T. That should be changing soon.

Lee
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:01 PM   #8
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
My gut feeling is that iOS will quickly retake the market share if and when a Verizon iPhone is released.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #9
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
It's going to be fun seeing how various phone systems go over the next couple of years... one fact ignored by the table concerning market shares... Apple has 25% of everything, they make the hardware and the OS but Google has 26% of the OS spread across many hardware platforms owned by other companies... guess Apple is still making more money...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:10 PM   #10
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
IMO, Android is in a good position simply because there is more than one model of phone available. As compared to the iPhone which has only one model. I don't count choice of white or black as a true choice.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 08:35 PM   #11
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
What I like about the mobile space is that their is competition in everything
from processors to kind of flash memory to Operating System to screen technology.
plus we upgrade phone every 1 or 2 years
This is really speeding innovation where as in computers we are mostly stuck with intel refreshing its line once every few years they got a kick in the butt a few years ago when AMD made something better.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:20 PM   #12
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Those figures tell me that Apple is still a devices giant and Android is gaining ground as a platform.

I'm an Android wannabe (still having my shitty Windows 6.x HTC work phone), but Google have really pissed me off in at least one area. They were one of the great Python adopters along with NASA and some others. I was extremely disappointed that their platform did not include the ability to develop in Python as well as or instead of Java.

I believe you can download apps now to allow you to code in Python for the platform, but I really would have liked to have seen Python as the chosen platform for development. Grrrr..

OK - petty complaint of a Python fan, but there you are.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:31 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
That's only true in the United States, elsewhere, the iPhone is sold SIM-free, and you can use it with whatever operator you wish.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 06:48 AM   #14
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's only true in the United States, elsewhere, the iPhone is sold SIM-free, and you can use it with whatever operator you wish.
And, outside the US, Android has been ahead of iOS in market-share for some time, so having iPhone on multiple operators does not necessarily indicate a growth in popularity. Quite the opposite it would seem.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:07 AM   #15
gtriever
Addict
gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gtriever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
My gut feeling is that iOS will quickly retake the market share if and when a Verizon iPhone is released.
...but those numbers may be skewed in the US, as iPhone subscribers dump AT&T and move to Verizon.

There, fixed it for you!
gtriever is offline   Reply With Quote