Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-02-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
judith009
Groupie
judith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3, Voyage
Do you think maybe they put a microphone on the k3 for vocal navigation?

Wouldn't it be cool to just say "turn page" and the page turns?

I can't figure out why else they would add a mic. Do any other e-readers have voice commands?

And as a side note: does anybody else here turn their pages with their nose sometimes, when you don't have a free hand? it's times like those that I wish there was voice control.
judith009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by judith009 View Post
Wouldn't it be cool to just say "turn page" and the page turns?

I can't figure out why else they would add a mic. Do any other e-readers have voice commands?

And as a side note: does anybody else here turn their pages with their nose sometimes, when you don't have a free hand? it's times like those that I wish there was voice control.
no........but you gave me a good idea for when Im eating something that needs both hands!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #3
WS64
WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WS64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura / PB Lux 2 / Bookeen Frontlight / Kobo Mini / Nook Color
Quote:
I can't figure out why else they would add a mic.
Not that I really think it's for that, but maybe to record your own audio books?
WS64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:47 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

deleted

Last edited by jswinden; 10-02-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 04:52 PM   #5
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
The Clapper IMO
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:54 PM   #6
judith009
Groupie
judith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
no........but you gave me a good idea for when Im eating something that needs both hands!
I'm glad you enjoyed that! yeah, usually it happens when I have food in one hand. Even when I have the other hand on the kindle, sometimes it's hard to turn the page while holding at the same time. So instead of bringing my finger to the button, I bring the button to my nose!
Old 10-02-2010, 04:55 PM   #7
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
As a more serious idea, I'd say the microphone would be for voice notes. I don't think they'd do VoIP unless they start separately charging you for that.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 04:58 PM   #8
judith009
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiersten View Post
The Clapper IMO
Could you image 10 people with kindles in a coffee shop, and everyone's clapping to turn their pages . Lol
Old 10-02-2010, 05:00 PM   #9
judith009
Groupie

Does anyone have Jeff Bezos' email address?
Old 10-02-2010, 05:01 PM   #10
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I think it will eventually be used for vocal navigation and input, as an aid to the blind.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:59 PM   #11
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
So instead of bringing my finger to the button, I bring the button to my nose!
Are dried boogers covered by the warranty?
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #12
judith009
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlmwrite View Post
Are dried boogers covered by the warranty?
Amazon says that any scratches to the screen caused by dried mucus is not covered by the warranty. Not that I... errr... would know... or anything.
Old 10-02-2010, 07:45 PM   #13
jlmwrite
Zealot
jlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy bluejlmwrite can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Samsung Tab S8.4, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Well, cold and flu season is here...
jlmwrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:12 PM   #14
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Yes. In case you missed it, Amazon tried to get colleges to use kindles for textbooks. But they got sued by some blind group and ended up dropping it. The software probably isn't ready yet, but they put the mic on it for when it will be...
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:23 PM   #15
judith009
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
Yes. In case you missed it, Amazon tried to get colleges to use kindles for textbooks. But they got sued by some blind group and ended up dropping it. The software probably isn't ready yet, but they put the mic on it for when it will be...
That was very interesting! Finally a feasable answer. Thanks for sharing.

Tags
microphone