Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 08-22-2010, 08:51 AM   #1
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
non functional

I haven't seen this on another thread, so I wanted to post this one to see if others have encountered the same problem before:

I was surfing the internet via wifi for a while and have been reading in goodreader before. Then I turned my ipad off via the regular on/off button on the top. I laid it down for a while and didn't use it for about 1 hr. I currently had my silicone case on the ipad.

After said 1 hr, I wanted to read a bit and my ipad didn't turn on. Neither via the on/off button, nor via the home button. I also tried the "hold-the-on-button-for-10-seconds" thing just in case I had it completely turned off (which I'm sure I hadn't).
It still didn't turn on.

So I did some research on the net and found the "press-the-on-and-home-button-for-10-seconds". This brought my ipad back to live, but this is supposed to be the "reset-button-press".

Temperatures in my home are about 25C (77F). The ipad is supposed to run without flaw to up to 95F (35C), so its temperature must have well been within the specs. And no direct sunlight was involved, too.

So anyone who has run across this issue, too???
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
Tony Szmuk
Connoisseur
Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony Szmuk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ,,,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
So anyone who has run across this issue, too???
Not with the iPad, but with the iPhone. It restarted only when I pluged in the charger. Never happened again since.
Tony Szmuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #3
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Only problem I've had with my iPad was once the battery was under 10% and I wanted to run it completely out to do a full charge. I left a video running and walked away. About an hour later I went to check that the iPad should have run out of battery by now but instead the screen was frozen on the video. No matter what I did I couldn't turn off the iPad or get off that frozen video screen. The battery eventually gave out after a few hours and the iPad returned to normal after a charge.

So I've had a problem powering it off but never a problem powering it on. I would just chalk it up to random electronics behavior for now. If it happens repeatedly then you should bring your iPad to Apple for repairs.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:52 PM   #4
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Yep, I guess I allready did so lilman. I thought it may have to do with some software bug while going into sleep mode or so.
Well, I just thought it's quite weird because I had charged it the last night and "drained" it down to about 83%.

Thanks for the answers anyways. I hope it was a one time glitch. It behaved normally for the rest of the day.
Old 08-22-2010, 03:35 PM   #5
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
I had this happen with my iPhone once and like Tony, I plugged it in to the charger and it started back up.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #6
Mike_73
Guru

Yep, tried connecting it to the PC and to the power brick. None of it worked. As I said, only thing bringing it back was the "reset" thingy. Nevertheless, it works again.